Submitted for your approval: Tentative East Coast Itinerary

Ok, thanks! Good to know I probably won’t be stuck on the side of the road and having to sleep in some bushes. I was going to ask for the Chinese language equivalent of “motel”, etc but you beat me to it. I’ll have to scribble down those characters or take a screen shot to use as reference.

Another question about shipping from convenience store to convenience store: you mentioned that it’ll take a few days for any package I send from one store to arrive at the next. Now, if I know that I won’t be able to pick up my package until a week or even 10 days after I mail it, will the receiving store hold it for me there? Or maybe the sending store can hold off on mailing it until a specified date? I can’t imagine that any convenience store would want to hold onto a big package like the one I’d be sending; then again, I know nothing of how these matters work in Taiwan. Any thoughts on this particular issue?

You have 7 days to pick up your parcel.

Since you can’t afford to have the items in your parcel get sent back, what you can do is, send the parcel to a location which you will 100% be sure you’ll arrive in under 7 days and then just pick it up and send it again to your next destination (in which you’ll know you’ll arrive within 7 days).

If you’re in a jam and not quite sure how your itinerary will work out, shoot me a PM, I can help you send the parcel later in your trip to your destination if you want.

Wow, that’s very kind of you! I think I will look into mailing the bag to my friend’s apartment or place of work in Kaohsiung first; if that doesn’t work out for some reason I will do as you say and re-send it mid-trip.

Again, incredibly nice of you to offer to help me out :smile:

I think I am finally running out of questions to ask! Thanks again for all your help. Now, to buy a place ticket :airplane:

I think I missed (or forgot) the part where you had a friend in Kaoshiung. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

If that’s the case, it shouldn’t be an issue. Not that I wouldn’t help, but meeting up with me is probably a bit more of a hassle than going straight to a convenient store to send it after you arrive in Taipei.

Nonetheless, always willing to help. If you got any other questions, feel free to ask!

Haha! I’ve asked so many questions that I’ve begun to confuse you. Sorry! Now, for another question:

I have booked a b&b place near the entrance of Taroko. The b&b is close to Xincheng Station, and it appears I can take a direct train to this station from Taipei using the Tze Chiang Limited Express. This site (https://www.railway.gov.tw/en/cp.aspx?sn=16981&n=19610) details instructions for bringing bikes on board trains. If my bike is in its bag, am I correct in assuming I can bring it with me on the Tze Chiang Limited Express train to Hualien? It seems like it wouldn’t be a problem as the bike would be contained in a bag. Just want to make sure though!

Correct. From my experience and other’s reports, as long as your bike is bagged you can board any express train!

The only issue you might run into is if you got onto an express train that has the bike compartment (which doesn’t require you to bag your bike). Very unlikely, but it did happen to me. I ended up just leaving my bagged bike on the ground and sat next to it.

Ok, good to know!

Question about SIM cards: my flight doesn’t arrive in Taipei until very late, so I’m assuming I won’t be able to get a local SIM card for my phone at the airport. I want to get an early start to Hualien the next day, so do you think Taipei Station will have kiosks or stores selling SIM cards?

How late are you getting into Taoyuan airport? If possible, I would highly suggest you get a SIM card at the airport. They have the best rates where it’s unlimited 4G data for x days. That will come in handy when you need to check your location!

As for Taipei Main Station kiosks open late, I think you’re outta luck. Nonetheless, you can always buy SIM cards from 7-11. If you haven’t left for your trip yet, I would suggest looking into international SIM cards before departing. The rates may not be as good, but at least you’re not running around the city looking for a SIM.

Also, please do let us know how your trip goes!

My flight doesn’t arrive until 11:30pm. By the time I get through immigration, etc I’m sure it’ll be past 12am, so probably not many services offered at that hour? If I go into a 7-11 and point at my phone do you think they’ll know what I’m getting at?

I will indeed let you know how my trip goes, though I am a little apprehensive at the moment. I tweaked my knee last week and now it stings to even pedal on flat ground :persevere: I hope it clears up by April 3rd!

Thanks again, as always.

I am curious for an update. Hualien is pretty much a shitshow during this holiday. If i’d known I would’ve warned the OP. Here’s hoping everything like train tickets and hotels were reserved in advance and that you do well with crowds! let us know…

Yes, saw the picture of cars lined up from I-Lan County to Su-Ao tunnel to Hualien, taking about 50mins to travel like 4 klicks. ha ha

This year’s Double-Ten fireworks celebration will be in Hualien, too, as announced by English Tsai, in order to help area recover from earthquake.

As I write this I’m sitting on a bench on 193, taking a breather on my way to Ruisui. I honestly haven’t felt like crowds have been an issue, though I have been waking at 6am to do my cycling.

I’ve been here for three days and everything has been great, aside from trying to find a SIM card after my late night flight landed. Seems as though 7-11s and the like do not sell SIM cards anymore; a local telecom store sorted me out just fine though.

Back in the saddle now!

2 Likes

Awesome! yeah many spots do seem super quiet but then some have tons of people. Have fun!

Hm, didn’t know that, thanks for letting us know!

Will surely pass on the correct information next time.

Stay safe! Have fun out there!

Think convenient stores haven’t been able to sell SIM cards for a long time, ever since gov’t wanted to crack down on people buying them and not “registering” their names with the telecom operators, correct?

@jmward , how many km you traveling a day? Going up the east coast or down?
Hit some good hot springs there?

Have fun

Yeah, it must be a very recent change. Even some of the employees had to check with their co-workers before shaking their heads.

No hotsprings yet but maybe today. I’m resting in Ruisui after two successive days of 100k and a third of about 80k. My knee is definitely barking after all that pedaling. Just as well, though: looks like rain for most of today.

Tomorrow I’m headed to either Shishang or Fuli. Any advice as to which place might be better?

Thanks!

The Chishang 4.5k coffee shop is the only call. On the 197, at the 4.5km marker, SE of Chishang. There’s also more food options in Chishang.

Fuli is very very very agricultural.

Looks like a big storm moving in on Wednesday and staying around till Friday in the Taitung region. My weather app says it’s basically a 100% chance of rain for these days. How bad would it be to try to ride from Taimali to Kenting during this weather? Maybe I should take a train? (CAN I take a train?) Or will Taiwan’s unpredictable weather win out and grace us with sunny skies?

The bike ride is doable from Taimali to Kenting. I once did it from Kenting to Taitung City in 1 day.
Just a few steep hills after you climb 9 leaving Taimali.
Left turn on 199, Follow that a ways until left turn on 199甲 and then right turn on 26 (blue). Right turn on 200, which eventually takes you back to 26 after taking left turn on 200甲 for a short distance.

The train does not take you to Kenting. It takes you from Dawu on southeast Taitung coast to Fangshan on southwest coast of Pingtung County and then turns north toward Pingtung City and Kaohsiung.

At the top of 9, right at the junction where you turn left on 199, there’s a place you can take a break and fill up with water, if necessary. Doesn’t look especially welcoming, but seems to be cycling specific - loads of people stopping off there when I’ve been past.

The 199 is my favourite road in Taiwan (not that I’ve ridden all of them :wink: ). Lovely smooth surface most of the way, not too steep, nice and twisty. Just watch out for the odd clown coming round bends on the wrong side (usual stuff), but it was very quiet each time I’ve ridden it. Enjoy.