Submitted for your approval: Tentative East Coast Itinerary

Ok, thanks! Good to know I probably won’t be stuck on the side of the road and having to sleep in some bushes. I was going to ask for the Chinese language equivalent of “motel”, etc but you beat me to it. I’ll have to scribble down those characters or take a screen shot to use as reference.

Another question about shipping from convenience store to convenience store: you mentioned that it’ll take a few days for any package I send from one store to arrive at the next. Now, if I know that I won’t be able to pick up my package until a week or even 10 days after I mail it, will the receiving store hold it for me there? Or maybe the sending store can hold off on mailing it until a specified date? I can’t imagine that any convenience store would want to hold onto a big package like the one I’d be sending; then again, I know nothing of how these matters work in Taiwan. Any thoughts on this particular issue?

You have 7 days to pick up your parcel.

Since you can’t afford to have the items in your parcel get sent back, what you can do is, send the parcel to a location which you will 100% be sure you’ll arrive in under 7 days and then just pick it up and send it again to your next destination (in which you’ll know you’ll arrive within 7 days).

If you’re in a jam and not quite sure how your itinerary will work out, shoot me a PM, I can help you send the parcel later in your trip to your destination if you want.

Wow, that’s very kind of you! I think I will look into mailing the bag to my friend’s apartment or place of work in Kaohsiung first; if that doesn’t work out for some reason I will do as you say and re-send it mid-trip.

Again, incredibly nice of you to offer to help me out :smile:

I think I am finally running out of questions to ask! Thanks again for all your help. Now, to buy a place ticket :airplane:

I think I missed (or forgot) the part where you had a friend in Kaoshiung. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

If that’s the case, it shouldn’t be an issue. Not that I wouldn’t help, but meeting up with me is probably a bit more of a hassle than going straight to a convenient store to send it after you arrive in Taipei.

Nonetheless, always willing to help. If you got any other questions, feel free to ask!

Haha! I’ve asked so many questions that I’ve begun to confuse you. Sorry! Now, for another question:

I have booked a b&b place near the entrance of Taroko. The b&b is close to Xincheng Station, and it appears I can take a direct train to this station from Taipei using the Tze Chiang Limited Express. This site ( details instructions for bringing bikes on board trains. If my bike is in its bag, am I correct in assuming I can bring it with me on the Tze Chiang Limited Express train to Hualien? It seems like it wouldn’t be a problem as the bike would be contained in a bag. Just want to make sure though!

Correct. From my experience and other’s reports, as long as your bike is bagged you can board any express train!

The only issue you might run into is if you got onto an express train that has the bike compartment (which doesn’t require you to bag your bike). Very unlikely, but it did happen to me. I ended up just leaving my bagged bike on the ground and sat next to it.

Ok, good to know!

Question about SIM cards: my flight doesn’t arrive in Taipei until very late, so I’m assuming I won’t be able to get a local SIM card for my phone at the airport. I want to get an early start to Hualien the next day, so do you think Taipei Station will have kiosks or stores selling SIM cards?

How late are you getting into Taoyuan airport? If possible, I would highly suggest you get a SIM card at the airport. They have the best rates where it’s unlimited 4G data for x days. That will come in handy when you need to check your location!

As for Taipei Main Station kiosks open late, I think you’re outta luck. Nonetheless, you can always buy SIM cards from 7-11. If you haven’t left for your trip yet, I would suggest looking into international SIM cards before departing. The rates may not be as good, but at least you’re not running around the city looking for a SIM.

Also, please do let us know how your trip goes!