Submitted for your approval: Tentative East Coast Itinerary

Hello all! I’ve returned to my home in Korea after a very lovely two weeks in Taiwan. Thought I’d give a little synopsis of my time on the island and share what I considered the highlights of the trip. Before I get to any of that, however, I want to give a big thank you to everyone who responded to my questions! Your advice and comments absolutely made my journey easier to handle. Thanks!

Taroko Gorge. I was in the saddle by 6am, more because I was so excited to begin my trip than to try to make it to the top. My bike odometer thingy turned over from 999 miles to 0 right as I hit the 7-11 inside the park. A good sign! I cycled up at a pace I was comfortable with, stopping every 32 seconds or so to take a photo. By the time I made it to Ci’en it was about 2pm and my feet and bum were sizzling with pain. I decided to turn around and head back to the hostel. I’ve been telling all my friends I made it “about half-way” up (going by my bike computer, which read about 25 miles from the 7-11). Anyone know how close I am to the truth? Regardless, it was without a doubt an incredibly amazing ride. Just so, so beautiful.

Route 193: really, really nice, especially the bit heading into Ruisui where it’s just rice fields for days. Ruisui itself was pretty ok I guess. I took 193/9 into Chishang and enjoyed that town a bit more, even if there is a cranky grandmother there who won’t sell me beef noodles.

Route 23 to Dulan: A nice climb that eventually dumped me onto route 11. I stayed in a hostel right on the ocean and slept in a converted cement tube.

Taitung, route 9 along the ocean: Ugh. This part sucked. Crews were either building a new lane or tearing up an old one, so it was just one lane in each direction. Lots of construction workers with their vehicles creating lots of dust/fumes. No bike lane so I could feel the agitation of the cars behind me. Not very pleasant at all.

Routes 9/199/26/200, Kenting National Park: Combined with the bit above, this was my longest day on the bike. 10.5 hours, maybe 80 or 90 miles covered. I was quite exhausted when I finally made it to my hostel in the Kenting Night Market area. But the ride through Kenting was beautiful. I don’t think I’ve ever seen water of that color before.

Routes 26/1/17, Kenting to Kaohsiung: Very flat and very easy! Maybe I had gained some leg muscle by this time but I finished this ride in about 4 hours. I spent the remainder of my trip in Kaohsiung, catching up/drinking beer with a friend I hadn’t seen in a couple years. Kaohsiung is a great city. I almost want to move there…

That’s about it! Some personal stats: I covered about 540 miles in total (roughly 860 kms I think?); I had one flat tire just outside of Ruisui; I broke one spoke right as 199 joins 9; I crashed twice while cycling about as fast as walking speed, hitting patches of sand on both occasions (couldn’t unclip my shoes quickly enough); I was honked at in encouraging ways numerous times, with the drivers/passengers giving me the thumbs-up as they passed; I visited 7-11/Family Mart I don’t know how many times (too many probably, and with waaaaay to much of my money spent on Pocari Sweat and those ham and cheese sandwiches).

It was a fantastic trip, one that I can’t wait to do again. Thanks to everyone who responded here to my questions. You have a lovely country in Taiwan! I am quite jealous of its cycling opportunities.

(I’m about to do a bicycle tour of Korea, where I live. Obviously this forum is Taiwan-specific, but would there be any interest here with facts about cycling in Korea, like routes/where to sleep/food, stuff like that? Let me know!)

4 Likes

Nice, succinct write up. Thank you.

Thanks for the write up @jmward

I think we appreciate your write up as much as you appreciated our advice! Glad you had a good time and even considered moving to Kaohsiung :wink:

25 miles from the 7-11 puts you at around the Bilu Tree. Which is past halfway to the top. The entire distance from gate to peak is roughly 85km (52 miles). Good thing you didn’t get hit by any kind of rain. Cycling through the gorge in the rain is not only dangerous, but just…not fun. It does get you awesome pics though!

I have been thinking about heading to Korea for a cycling vacation and have had this blog saved for awhile. Check it out:

Thanks! Half-way it is, then. I really wanted to keep going, especially since my legs felt pretty good. My feet were barking, though. Maybe next time.

I see now that I didn’t write clearly enough about my up-coming tour of Korea. I meant to ask if it would be ok to post on this forum my experiences of cycling in Korea, if folks out there would like the information.

Thanks again!

Perfectly fine with me! Always up for learning about cycling culture in different countries.

All I know about cycling Korea is that it seems like they all ride ridiculously expensive bikes and the girls somehow stay pale despite…riding bikes.

Haha! Very true. After having lived in Korea for 5 years I’ve come to accept that most cyclists dress like neon superheroes and ride $5000 dollar mountain bikes that never see any offroad trails, much less a mountain.

There is a bike-only path that essentially runs the length of the country from Seoul to Busan. It is about 600km and I cannot wait to cycle it, especially after cycling in Korean cities where death or serious injury by drivers is always in the cards. I’ll post my experiences here!

Feel free to make the thread a blog of some sort.

If you need something to work off of, we have an on-going thread in which we share pictures and anecdotes about our rides:

More recent posts by yours truly start here:

Very interested in this path also, love to hear your experiences on it.