Success stories of returning home

[quote=“MiakaW”]I worked in TW for a year but not as a FT English teacher (more of PT) and I have a degree in Business Admin/Accounting Background so it wasn’t that hard for me to find a job back in the US. It was tough in the beginning being away for so long that I need to polish up my skills and the $$ was def. on the lower scale of the market. Been back for about 4-5 years now and slowly crawling back to the pay scale where I am suppose to be getting.

It’s not easy, I had to move back home w/ my parent for awhile but things will get easier and better!!![/quote]

Worked in Taiwan for a year, that’s like going on vacation, by the time you are getting used to the place you are going home again!

If you’ve been in Taiwan for 3 years or more, this is your home. It might be painful, but you have to let go of the visions of there being a warm safe place for you to return to. Yes, in some historical sense, that will always be your home, but, professionally, it is not anymore -particularly if you are from the USA, right now. Why do you need to go back? Adventure over? Need protection? Home is where you are right now, whether you like it or not, even if you’re sitting in an Internet cafe in Bangkok; that is who you are right now. Make peace with yourself and figure it out. Running home to mommy and daddy will likely solve very little for you.

James,

You could always think about trying a different place. You seem to be very switched on and willing to give things a try.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=56713

This is a link to my story about leaving Taiwan. Although we are very happy in Australia there will always be a possibility of us returning to Taiwan. Taiwan can be a frustrating, annoying and disgusting place at times, but it can also be a place to grow, explore and experiment.

I wouldn’t pack it all up yet and go home. Chuck some things in a backpack and go and explore for a while. There is plenty of time later in life to be comfortable and settled.

L.

[quote=“Limey”]James,

You could always think about trying a different place. You seem to be very switched on and willing to give things a try.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=56713

This is a link to my story about leaving Taiwan. Although we are very happy in Australia there will always be a possibility of us returning to Taiwan. Taiwan can be a frustrating, annoying and disgusting place at times, but it can also be a place to grow, explore and experiment.

I wouldn’t pack it all up yet and go home. Chuck some things in a backpack and go and explore for a while. There is plenty of time later in life to be comfortable and settled.

L.[/quote]

So where in Oz do you reside? Perhaps a Happy Hour for those of us outside of Taiwan?

I’m in Marvelous Melbourne :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

L.

Yes actually adventure is over. Thing is for foreigners (white guys/girl) in Taiwan, unless they have an engineering background or can do something TW people can’t do, the only thing they can do is teach English, and for me really I have just become so burnt out from all the stuff related to teaching here. I would absolutely love to stay in Taiwan if I could do something other than teaching or simply own my own school and do things my way, but I don’t see any of those things happening here(too many English schools and very difficult to do things besides teaching).

But yeah Limey that post is definitely inspirational and gives me a big morale booster. The plan is still december irregardless of the stuff happening in the economy at the moment.

Yes actually adventure is over. Thing is for foreigners (white guys/girl) in Taiwan, unless they have an engineering background or can do something TW people can’t do, the only thing they can do is teach English, and for me really I have just become so burnt out from all the stuff related to teaching here. I would absolutely love to stay in Taiwan if I could do something other than teaching or simply own my own school and do things my way, but I don’t see any of those things happening here(too many English schools and very difficult to do things besides teaching).

But yeah Limey that post is definitely inspirational and gives me a big morale booster. The plan is still december irregardless of the stuff happening in the economy at the moment.[/quote]

The job market in the US is HORRIBLE right now. Let me say it again, like Biden, HORRIBLE. If you’re really into giving Taiwan a chance, why not just visit America. Perhaps coming back, taking a breather from your job, seeing friends and family, having some comfort foods and talking loads of horrible English will renew your spirit. It may also give you time to renew your mind, come up with new ideas for a new direction. Yes, Taiwan has glass celling for people, but many on this board have broken barriers. And those who I am thinking of aren’t school owners, but they were dedicated to going after what they wanted. But you’re a big boy and already know that. :smiley:

Have you given any thought to going to the entrepreneur meetup? I’m sure some brainstorming and networking could direct you toward something. Just give it some thought before chucking it all in. Best of luck

James,

Do you have an idea about what you’d like to do in life?

Most of us (me included) drift in and out of things. I’ve always enjoyed working in my profession, but have now moved away from my primary focus (the theatre) to audio-visual services. It is a big jump for me, going from being around artistic people to the corporate realm of being a service provider.

It took me some time to adjust, but I gain in financial terms, time with my wife and quality of life. I read somewhere that in the course of your life you will have four professions. ‘Professions’ as in something you get paid for. I’m on my third now and just wonder what the fourth will be…

I landed in Tw with a TEFL and a good friend (now my wife). I spent the first year hating it, the second year getting used to it, and the third respecting and adoring it, and hopefully will love Tw for the rest of my life, whether we live there in the future or not.

Perhaps as Namma suggested take a break and re-evaluate what you want. You may wake up one day saying “Gee, I miss Taiwan.”

L.

Oh please, plEASE, especially if you lack any specific skills or serious money–do not MOVE back to the States right now. Visit. That’s great, and you may need it to see for yourself just what you haven’t got to look forward to over here. There is NOTHING over here. I know how bad the burn out can be in Taiwan ESL. But at least you have income and can support yourself.

Housecat’s got it straight!

I was talking with colleagues in the finance industry last night about how the tsunami that’s knocking us for a six just now is racing towards Main Street and most people just don’t seem to understand how bad things are going to get.

Your man Bush has lumped us with the worst financial crisis in eighty years. EIGHTY YEARS! Don’t assume that the crap hitting stock markets has nothing to do with you. The markets are the canary in a coalmine here. The next couple of years are going to be very, very farkin’ grim indeed. Unemployment is about to rocket.

HG

James sounds like you want to attend grad school. Good plan, do you think moving back to America will help you achieve this? Maybe you should stick it out here and save more for that plan. If you’re working towards something, it will not only be tolerable, but exciting. Moving back will be costly and a big step back from your goal. I think it would be a good idea to have a plan before you make a big decision like this, perhaps a holiday is a good idea. All the best.

Just curious, but how is the slump in Taiwan’s economy affecting the ESL market? Seems like just about everyone has less disposable income these days.

Just curious, but how is the slump in Taiwan’s economy affecting the ESL market? Seems like just about everyone has less disposable income these days.[/quote]

No salary increases in a decade, polarisation of the market; if you are very skilled and have the right contacts, there are bits and pieces out there; it’s tough if you don’t have a JFRV, though. There’s stuff for newbs because they are cheap and don’t do much so they are fine for the cheaper end of the market. The middle has seriously contracted in recent years.

The market’s also matured; people have realised that paying for classes doesn’t buy proficiency; intelligence and application do… It’s like the gym. It’s possible to get a hot body at the gym, but most don’t. Many people are realising they don’t need a treadmill to run.

Publishing is the way forward, kids! Not end user delivery.

I just moved back to the States in August, after almost 10 years of teaching in Taiwan. I agree with the posters who said that you should have a plan and money before you return, especially as there is no end in sight to this economic disaster.

I have a BA in History and worked in banking in the US for 10 years before I arrived in Taiwan. Long story short, banking sucks, as does corporate America IMHO, so I have never considered an MBA or having my own business. In Taiwan, I loved living in Taipei, close to the mountains and close enough to the beach that I could take day trips on my scooter. I have a small, but close, group of friends there, mostly Taiwanese. I loved that I could work as few or many hours I wanted to support my simple lifestyle, and was able to travel all over SE Asia, India, and even Europe. And I loved teaching, even if it was limited to buxibans and bosses who thought that books made a curriculum. Like you James651, I had had enough of Aa apple, but I plugged along, unable to think of anything else in Taiwan to do.

About a year and a half ago, three horrible things happened to me in a span of two months, each of which could be considered life-changing event. I was probably clinically depressed, but didn’t realize it. I had never considered returning to the US, but I had to change something to keep my sanity. I love teaching, but knew that I needed more education before I could teach what I really enjoyed. So I went online to check out various universities as to what I would need to do to get licensed to teach, came back to the US in the summer of 2007 and visited two state schools, chose one, decided to move back the next year, and returned to Taiwan.

I took some online classes last year, and took on an extra part-time job to pay for my classes this year. I’m currently enrolled full-time and living off of my savings. I won’t ever have to teach Aa apple anymore, but I don’t wish to disparage anyone who is. Taiwan was very good to and for me, but I am glad to be working toward a professional goal.

[quote=“Limey”]James,

Most of us (me included) drift in and out of things. I’ve always enjoyed working in my profession, but have now moved away from my primary focus (the theatre) to audio-visual services. It is a big jump for me, going from being around artistic people to the corporate realm of being a service provider.

It took me some time to adjust, but I gain in financial terms, time with my wife and quality of life. I read somewhere that in the course of your life you will have four professions. ‘Professions’ as in something you get paid for. I’m on my third now and just wonder what the fourth will be…

I landed in Tw with a TEFL and a good friend (now my wife). I spent the first year hating it, the second year getting used to it, and the third respecting and adoring it, and hopefully will love Tw for the rest of my life, whether we live there in the future or not.

Perhaps as Namma suggested take a break and re-evaluate what you want. You may wake up one day saying “Gee, I miss Taiwan.”

L.[/quote]

Well it seems like I have an idea of what I want to do in life, but I always get demoralized and I have to think of new things I want to do.

I graduated college with a degree in East Asian Studies and a Chinese proficiency certificate and immediately after graduating I went to teach English in Taiwan with the intention of improving my Chinese and networking to find a job working in logistics(the office part of the industry, however, I met with some heads of a few logistics companies in China while in school and I find the whole industry fascinating). But my Chinese never really improved because I teached English all day and I became obsessed with some sports related activities and to this day I have not been able to network strong enough to find work in a logistics company. These circumstances do fluster me a bit because everyone in USA told me if my studies are in Chinese, I would be entitled to a kick-ass job and tons of money.

So I’m still here and I guess I feel depressed because I never would have imagined myself having studied and worked hard in college that I would be teaching 2-3 year olds TW kids Aa apple. But I don’t have a lot of money and I am doing my best to save everything I make, I never asked my folks for cash except for when I absolutely needed it as my family is not very wealthy and I am doing my best to be happy since the job really does entitle me to a great lifestyle compared to what I had or would have in USA. It sucks that locals think that English teachers here in Taiwan have this job because they can’t get a good job in their home country but I think they watch too much TV because I know with me and many other college grads(liberal arts that is) unless you get really lucky, you will be working at a non-profit making 12-15 dollars an hour-I just simply can’t live on that and I refuse to use a credit card too.

Back on topic as to what I want to do. I wanted to pursue an MBA but people tell me it’s overrated as too many people have MBAs these days and the MBA is only worth it if you graduate from a certain, select school-so I stopped trying to pursue it. I wanted to go back to school for Law school but people told me the Bar exam is impossible and that lawyers work too damn much, so I quit pursuing that goal. I wanted to go to grad school for criminology but I just can’t pass the verbal part of the GRE, so I quit that. Then recently I wanted to go back to USA for trade school as I don’t really consider myself smart book wise and all my academics acheivements have been as a result of hard work (I was the student that actually always did the reading in college-I had to), so I figured I’d kick ass working in a trade as I have previously installing and sanding dry-wall, but just recently on this forum everyone is telling don’t even think of going back to the US so I guess I should stay in Taiwan.

What I want to do now? I read “Losing My Virginity” by Richard Branson recently and Branson said that he started each and every one of his businesses because he found a problem and he wanted to solve it. For example, his first business was a student magazine for students in Britain and the magazine was intended as reading for various topics dedicated towards improving the lives of High school and college students in the UK. Now I look at the ESL industry in Taiwan and it truly saddens me. I see so many of these buxibans and kindergartens hurt and lie to parents, employees and students; consequently, every single day I always think about how I could run an English school here so much better than these school managers and owners. Moreover, it’s my chance to grow beyond just teaching. So I guess right now my plan is to open my own school. Upon mentioning this idea to about 5 people, I already am getting demoralized-“Too many schools in Taiwan”, “Taiwan parents are crazy” and I know I am gonna get at least two more replies telling me it’s a crazy idea and god I hope I don’t read and acknowledge them. Regardless, TW people will always want to learn English and I am more than confident I can provide them a haven for them to learn-so I guess this is what I want to do.

I do really want to return to USA though, I miss my family so much so perhaps it might be a good idea to marry a TW girl and make my own family here if I plan on being here for a bit.

[quote=“James651”][quote=“Limey”]James,

L.[/quote]

Well it seems like I have an idea of what I want to do in life, but I always get demoralized and I have to think of new things I want to do.

I graduated college with a degree in East Asian Studies and a Chinese proficiency certificate and immediately after graduating I went to teach English in Taiwan with the intention of improving my Chinese and networking to find a job working in logistics(the office part of the industry, however, I met with some heads of a few logistics companies in China while in school and I find the whole industry fascinating). But my Chinese never really improved because I teached English all day and I became obsessed with some sports related activities and to this day I have not been able to network strong enough to find work in a logistics company. These circumstances do fluster me a bit because everyone in USA told me if my studies are in Chinese, I would be entitled to a kick-ass job and tons of money.

So I’m still here and I guess I feel depressed because I never would have imagined myself having studied and worked hard in college that I would be teaching 2-3 year olds TW kids Aa apple. But I don’t have a lot of money and I am doing my best to save everything I make, I never asked my folks for cash except for when I absolutely needed it as my family is not very wealthy and I am doing my best to be happy since the job really does entitle me to a great lifestyle compared to what I had or would have in USA. It sucks that locals think that English teachers here in Taiwan have this job because they can’t get a good job in their home country but I think they watch too much TV because I know with me and many other college grads(liberal arts that is) unless you get really lucky, you will be working at a non-profit making 12-15 dollars an hour-I just simply can’t live on that and I refuse to use a credit card too.

Back on topic as to what I want to do. I wanted to pursue an MBA but people tell me it’s overrated as too many people have MBAs these days and the MBA is only worth it if you graduate from a certain, select school-so I stopped trying to pursue it. I wanted to go back to school for Law school but people told me the Bar exam is impossible and that lawyers work too damn much, so I quit pursuing that goal. I wanted to go to grad school for criminology but I just can’t pass the verbal part of the GRE, so I quit that. Then recently I wanted to go back to USA for trade school as I don’t really consider myself smart book wise and all my academics acheivements have been as a result of hard work (I was the student that actually always did the reading in college-I had to), so I figured I’d kick ass working in a trade as I have previously installing and sanding dry-wall, but just recently on this forum everyone is telling don’t even think of going back to the US so I guess I should stay in Taiwan.

What I want to do now? I read “Losing My Virginity” by Richard Branson recently and Branson said that he started each and every one of his businesses because he found a problem and he wanted to solve it. For example, his first business was a student magazine for students in Britain and the magazine was intended as reading for various topics dedicated towards improving the lives of High school and college students in the UK. Now I look at the ESL industry in Taiwan and it truly saddens me. I see so many of these buxibans and kindergartens hurt and lie to parents, employees and students; consequently, every single day I always think about how I could run an English school here so much better than these school managers and owners. Moreover, it’s my chance to grow beyond just teaching. So I guess right now my plan is to open my own school. Upon mentioning this idea to about 5 people, I already am getting demoralized-“Too many schools in Taiwan”, “Taiwan parents are crazy” and I know I am gonna get at least two more replies telling me it’s a crazy idea and god I hope I don’t read and acknowledge them. Regardless, TW people will always want to learn English and I am more than confident I can provide them a haven for them to learn-so I guess this is what I want to do.

I do really want to return to USA though, I miss my family so much so perhaps it might be a good idea to marry a TW girl and make my own family here if I plan on being here for a bit.[/quote]

Okay James, it sounds like you really need to take a breather, IMHO. Just get out of TW for Christmas for two weeks. See the family, immerse yourself in your own culture without thinking about the future and what you “should” be doing or “must be” doing. Just RELAX. It really sounds like the “failure” to see your goals materialize like you want them to, has you down. But don’t be so quick to chuck it in. You can improve your Chinese even while you’re teaching English for 8 hours a day. And you don’t have to have a girlfriend to do it :wink: IMO I think you’re at that impasse where you’re just gonna have to make a decision as to what goal you really want. And just go for it, no matter what. If you want to be fluent in Chinese, then start planning how you’re gonna do it. Dragonbones could probably give you some good tips, as he’s the only flobber I can think of who exemplifies a stick-to-itness about that goal and seeing it manifest.

Just give yourself, lets say, 6 to nine more months in Taiwan. A set one goal to manifest there,while saving to move home as a plan B. If you know that by the last month of that time range, you’ve given your best and it’ just not gonna change, then let me be the VERY FIRST to Welcome you back to the US of A.

Best of luck/ 加油!!!!

I hope you will not take this the wrong way, but I think you need to work on developing some self confidence.

If you keep quitting before you start because someone points out the weaknesses in your plan, you’ll never get anywhere. I think you’re sharing your ideas to get approval and my point is that you need to have the confidence to give yourself the approval you seek. Find something that YOU really care about and do your research–know what the challenges will be before you give anyone else the chance to point them out to you, and know how you plan to deal with them.

Also, you have to accept that not everything you try will always work out. This is normal. People who go on to success do not think that they just aren’t smart enough–they think about why it didn’t work out and try to strengthen a weekness (Such as studying for the verbal part of the GRE (you can SO pass that–you’ve just let it intimidate you)), or they decide that it was because of something that they cannot controle and they move on.

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Housecat’s got it straight!

I was talking with colleagues in the finance industry last night about how the tsunami that’s knocking us for a six just now is racing towards Main Street and most people just don’t seem to understand how bad things are going to get.

Your man Bush has lumped us with the worst financial crisis in eighty years. EIGHTY YEARS! Don’t assume that the crap hitting stock markets has nothing to do with you. The markets are the canary in a coalmine here. The next couple of years are going to be very, very farkin’ grim indeed. Unemployment is about to rocket.

HG[/quote]

Agreed. Find yourself unemployed in the West now and “A A Apple” will start to look really appealing. On the other hand, the baliff business is about to rocket.

[quote=“housecat”]I hope you will not take this the wrong way, but I think you need to work on developing some self confidence.

If you keep quitting before you start because someone points out the weaknesses in your plan, you’ll never get anywhere. I think you’re sharing your ideas to get approval and my point is that you need to have the confidence to give yourself the approval you seek. Find something that YOU really care about and do your research–know what the challenges will be before you give anyone else the chance to point them out to you, and know how you plan to deal with them.

Also, you have to accept that not everything you try will always work out. This is normal. People who go on to success do not think that they just aren’t smart enough–they think about why it didn’t work out and try to strengthen a weekness (Such as studying for the verbal part of the GRE (you can SO pass that–you’ve just let it intimidate you)), or they decide that it was because of something that they cannot controle and they move on.[/quote]
I agree with the above. James651, I was reading your long post on page six and my first thought was, “You seem to want to do everything, but you have an excuse to not want to do anything.”

Maybe you do want to return to the USA to establish a career. But if you do, you really must have a plan, especially now. I’m Canadian but just moved to the USA permanently six months ago. In six months I have lived in two cities in northern California and am moving to my third in a few days. Though I currently don’t work, even I see how the job situation is affecting regular folks. But maybe a long vacation back in the USA is what you need right now – just a breather, not a permanent move.

I hope you find come up with a concrete plan and stick to it. Best of luck!

If you are an American, I would look at Federal jobs that require a bachelor’s degree. If you have only worked as an ESL Instructor, good luck getting a private employer to hire you. They will think you are a risky hire unless you are applying for a job that no one wants.