Successfully Crafting Resumes for Taiwanese Employers

I’m redoing my resume and have been looking at tips for making a good one. I’m not sure how much of the information is applicable. The type of language used (generated content, rather than wrote articles, for example) seems weird even to me. Obviously, when the hiring manager is possibly a non-native speaker, an applicant should avoid complex phrasing (Consistently attained and exceeded…, from Indeed). But I’m not sure now how to phrase things well but also understandably.
The resume I’ve been using just listed my duties at previous jobs in plain language. But I sent it to an evaluation service and the notes I got back said I seem like a “doer” rather than an “achiever”. I don’t know if Taiwan employers care about how punchy the resume is, or if they just want to know what you can do. Or if they even read it.
So what’s the best way to cultivate a resume to aggressively prospect for a job in Taiwan?

Ask chatgpt to do it

If you’re good looking, include a photo

1 Like

Photos are common in Taiwan, add a professional looking one with a smile, not one your mate took of you at the pub. I seen many photos , some with sexy photos , which does not work for our company haha

2 Likes

Yeah I was thinking a passport photo if not a professional headshot. I have used pro head shots with suits on my last few CVs

What’s the profession? resume styles vary a lot by industry. I could be of help in semiconductors.

That’s the first thing I did, but it doesn’t help much with writing for non-native speakers. “well but understandably” is also a cultural concept, and I don’t think it knows if Taiwanese employers would rather read plain English or what, to me, reads like hyperbole.

Thanks, but not that. Teaching or office work.

1 Like

I am not a teacher, but many others here are and can help you. For local office, in our office we would want a Chinese (Taiwanese) resume and English is sometimes requested, so you might want look into making a local Taiwanese resume sample How to Write a Chinese Resume 101. If you need a visa I do not think general office will pay high enough for it. ( you have mention what kind of work like CPA, then I can search is salary is high enough) At our company we have few short term overseas staff from our EU offices, not local hires but they are more here train locals on what they do (or sometimes we send staff there too)

is that still relevant if the applicant cannot speak Chinese?

In Taiwan office they would need speak Chinese, would not apply to offshore office transfers.

1 Like

This isn’t my situation. Any job, teaching or office work, I apply to would accept an English resume. The question is what type of language to use. Typical American resume jargon, or simplified English.

there is a middle ground.
instead of “ive met, surpassed and excelled in all tasks related to xyz” you can write “i was responsible for xyz for 18 months and improved performance by 10%”.
writing simply but including your achievement and contributions.

1 Like