Sudden dismissal from job during probation period

it’s just SOP
plus, buxibans and buxiban teachers are considered labourers

u probably helped her as she needed someone to talk to and to share some insights regarding life’s difficulty.

2 Likes

Pay per hour, it makes sense in that context.

Yeah, I am not stressing out too much.
It’s just this is the first time I ever experienced this.
Also I was very surprised because L***ABC is a well-known firm in its industry. Then again, the fact it keeps posting job ads on forumosa should have been a warning sign.

It is a tough world at times, and it looks like it’s only getting tougher.

It is tough but sometimes you get lucky. Chin up and onwards with the journey. Don’t let it make you bitter, just get more determination to succeed in the future !

The longer you work the more experiences you will accumulate good and bad. I had to leave my last job because my manager switched suddenly, going from one I got on very well with to a complete asshole. He even hired a toady to snitch on myself and others . Toady got let go too I was happy to hear.
In the end there was nothing I could do (well I should have sued them but besides that …).

The best revenge is success. Screw em !

4 Likes

I’ve worked in Taiwan for several years and this is the first time I’ve had such a negative experience. I’ve worked in shitty companies where there was shitty things going on and I’ve worked in fairly good companies where everything was proper. This company is a rare example of what seemed like a fairly good company but with a lot of shitty conditions once I actually started.
I would add that having a manager who is not a local Taiwanese is also important.

No, it’s Taiwanese.
By Chinese editor, I meant “Chinese language.” Like how I was the English editor.

Exactly, I didn’t think there was anything weird about either of those scenarios.
I did edit down those scenarios right after I got the angry criticism from the Chinese editor but I guess that wasn’t enough.

I have never known anybody fired in the middle of their probation period, whether local or expat, with one exception and that was because that guy was caught saying some really dishonest things about people. I’m not saying my work was excellent and amazing, but it certainly wasn’t that bad to make me fired suddenly. If I’d known the company would do something like that I would never have wanted to work there.

And is it allowed to ask coworkers from another team out for dinner. :joy:

That’s right.
What’s weird also is they embrace some aspects of American culture like Halloween costume parties so I’m not sure why a pool party was such a big deal. I also had to explain a lot of stuff to my Taiwan editors regarding everyday slang or usage of phrases that they would consider strange or be confused about.

I’ve gotten a good mix of sympathetic and critical responses that have been helpful.
I can’t say I was incredible at writing scripts (which was just one aspect of the job) but I really did not think it was so problematic that I had to be canned just like that.
You’re not wrong about there being a lot of people who could do this job. It’s definitely not rocket science.

But that’s exactly what a probation period is! A trial run to see how much you fit in the position. I feel bad for you that they did you like that. But this isn’t unheard of at all. Plenty of people get let go during their probation period.

1 Like

What helped with my past jobs in Taiwan was that I had managers from the US or the UK so I never directly had to report to a Taiwanese boss. In this job, not only did I have a Taiwanese manager but there wasn’t a clear chain of command because the Chinese editors (I was the English editor) on my team would report to her.

I often had to explain to my Chinese editors about English phrases or slang that are common, but which they found confusing. Also, vice versa, there were cases where they would want to use words or slang that is actually not common. While their English was decent for local Taiwanese, it was obvious that most of them were more familiar with grammar and vocabulary than actual usage. of English.

If I could go back in time, I would have asked the Chinese editor straight up why she was so upset over something that is a completely normal scenario. Instead, I just gave a mild explanation and then I changed it as she suggested. As you and I and most people in the working world know, it’s absolutely normal to have lunch or dinner with people in other departments and teams.
Coincidentally, teams at L***ABC were silo-ed as well. There was little interaction or communication between people from different teams.

Language is rooted in culture. By providing a scenario in which a learner gains insight into western office cultures you’re providing added value. Much better than Mrs Huang invites Miss Chen to visit the fish market.

5 Likes

I did not know we had to wait in line to respond to posts. Last I checked this was an open forum.

Sure you did. You thought they were Taiwanese, so yeah.

Did you even read what I wrote? He had said everyone was nice when he asked if they were any problems, but they still blasted him on the written evaluations. I said I thought they were Taiwanese, because Westerners are more confrontational, while Taiwanese are less direct and will instead complain on the evaluations. So no, you don’t have to wait until the person I’m addressing answers. But it would’ve saved you some embarrassment since it turns out, yes indeed, they were Taiwanese.

But that’s what probation periods are for. If you had passed your probation period and then got dismissed on your 5 month, you would have more reasons for complaining.