Suhua (Su-Hua) closure

Well, work has begun on the new highway:
taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2003494790

The first bit will be building a bridge over the Heping River. Strange but I always thought there was a bridge there. A really high long bridge would be cool though as it would help bypass the horrible cement factory that mars what is otherwise one of the best views only the highway.

Riding through Heping was always a big disappointment. I hope the srcuffy cement towns can be bypassed altogether.

On a related note most of the gravel transport along the highway is slated to be carried by train in the future. This is fantastic news. Will make the highway so much safer.

Try being stuck there for 6 hours after your car breaks down there!

Try being stuck there for 6 hours after your car breaks down there![/quote]

Try driving your friend there to pick up his car and then having to endure lunch cause he’s hungry.

When you say “riding” do you mean by bike or car? I;d love to bike this but I’ve been told by even the crazy people to stay off this road.

Aren’t the scruffy cement towns part of the underlying fabric of this country? :slight_smile:

Driving. I wouldn’t yet ride the Suhua on a bike. When the new highway is finished a bike lane should exist (promised as part of the improvements) and gravel will largely be carried by rail.

Riding the SuHua is overrated IMHO. I only use it when I go to the east coast by car. I much prefer the 7-jia and central cross (Datong, Lishan, Taroko etc) when riding to Hualien. Way more beautiful and you can do it (by motorcycle at least) in one day no problem. I guess the SuHua would be a cool bicycle route if they actually make the bike lane that MuchaMan is talking about.

And while the lorries are indeed a dangerous nuisance its the tour busses that really get me steaming :fume:

driving the Suhua rant 1

Had to drive it last night, in the pitch dark, heading south. First section, Suao to Dongao, get stuck behind a very slow, very large truck (double trailer), piled high with bricks / building stuff. Must have weighed several tonnes.

It caused havoc. I was right behind and refused to overtake as I’m guessing the safety of that manoeuvre. Behind me are 5 or 6 cars / bluetrucks, 2 of which are trying to do silly things (overtake us all). 1 bluetruck does and gets away with it. Tiring driving, lots of action in front and behind, oncoming traffic has to swerve out of the way as large truck is forced to swing wide around sharp corners. I’d have let the traffic behind pass me, but then I lose the chance to overtake large truck at Dongao, and will still be trapped all the way to Nanao.

But why the hell do the govt let such vehicles on that road?. Heavy heavy load, stressing and weakening the suhua. Is it beyond them to see how much better / safer /cleaner it is to force such loads to travel by rail :doh: :doh: :doh: ?

driving the Suhua rant 2

coming downhill into Heping, lots of bends. It’s dark. It’s, well, it’s dangerous. An oncoming tour bus sweeps around a corner, followed by a car, and oh hey, here’s a bluetruck trying to overtake both of them on the apex of the bend. I jam the brakes and yank the steering wheel to the right. The cliff face looms, I feel my right wheel touch the edge of the concrete drainage ditch. For a split second, I’m close to deliberately driving into that ditch to avoid bluetruck, writing off my car in the process. I inhale sharply, trying to suck my car thinner :fume:. Bluetruck sweeps through the gap I’ve created, I’m a good judge of car width, no more than a few cm to spare.

Selfish of me I know, but I want to live a bit longer. Also, I’ve got a wife and kid who rely on me.

So why the fuck do i have to deal with bozo binlang-chewing hick guessers out there who put lives at risks?

take the train , way safer. I bet the car ferry would have business today. IF it has a great rate for the big trucks.

i do tommy, i usually do. But this journey was unavoidable. Calmer thought - it ain’t the road, it’s the drivers.