Summer BBQ beach party 27 May

I was just looking at an online dating site where some girl had described her ideal date as “not a Wednesday or Friday,” instead of “tall, dark and handsome.” But I guess that’s not relevant to this discussion.

Provisionally speaking, how about the last Sunday of the month? 27th May (I have no idea when the dragon boating is, and the calendar doesn’t even say when the regular HH is.)

I figure two weeks is enough to get the word out and for people to make the appropriate arrangements with their personal lives.

Some area of the beach away from the plebs and lifeguards. There’s a little road runs down the north side of the river to the beach. MJB can you advise on this or a better location? Can anyone do a map? A banner to advertise this?

It’s going to be dirty, is it not? Do we need to clean up a stretch of beach first? Start time? And are we going to do anything worthwhile (ie try and get some cash together for some good cause) or just bugger about in the sun?

I favour the more informal approach that people organise their own food etc, and post if they have any special contribution to make to the general thing.

Any rules or guidelines? Are we talking family-friendly, no nuding, no speedos, an upwind smoking section, dogs, a special area for Canadians, no talking about forumosa, etc? What about ninja-suppression measures? This is pirate territory, after all.

Music. If anybody brings one of those devices that pumps out hippety-hoppity or rap music I shall scream almost as loudly as I would if subjected to Jimmy Buffett. My tastes will probably upset a few people too! Any consensus?

If there are going to be people, sunshine, alcohol, kids, and water present in large quantities then there needs to be some form of rescue/first aid available.

Driftwood aplenty, right? No shortage of fuel for fires?

Waste/garbage disposal?

In the event of cancellation due to weather then where do we go? Everyone will have a hole in their diary. I propose the new pizza restaurant at Bitan.

What else?

Are the camping areas pay to play, or free? How are the camping conditions? Any facilities (e.g., public toilets)?

Sounds like a great idea, btw.

Loretta, might I suggest we not “rule” ourselves to death? Personally I’d like to go up every weekend, and will probably be there a lot this summer for diving in the vicinity.

Keep the thread open, as the scuba thread is. And things will work out for themselves.

Fine with me. But, technically, that’s still Spring… not yet Summer.

I’m just jaggin’ ya. :smiley:

[quote=“jdsmith”][quote=“Tyc00n”]We need:

1. [b]A co-ordinator…everyone has this guy/girls phone number
  • organize head-count and meeting place, calculate cash people need to front for food, beer et[/b]c
    [/quote]

I don’t mean to poopoo you, but I don’t think this is necessary. Bring yer own. Nuff said.[/quote]

I agree, not least because I get really antsy at the “we will eat XYZ at this time,” instead of eating what I please when I like. If someone wants to offer to cook for those who want then that’s great, but let’s try to be as flexible and accomodating as possible.

The one advantage of a pre-paid meal is that there can be an agreed profit margin donated to some or other group, but why not allow whoever actually produces the stuff to decide where the money goes?

I’ll edit the OP to make it more of an announcement, and update it regularly so’s we can keep track of the numbers and details. Keep the ideas coming. Please PM me - after the date is fixed - if you’re coming so’s I can keep the list up-to-date.

I work on the 27th and the weekend after that I’ll be playing at the peacefest thing up at Longtan. Have a good time, y’all.

Hence the request for ideas about guidelines, rather than “this will be…”

If people know what they’re going to then they can make their own choices.

[quote=“Tigerman”]

Oh. How 'bout doggies? They allowed?[/quote]

Sure. But they’d have to take a proficiency test first. I hear the DOEFUL isn’t too tough.

Maoman, thanks from The DNS for the ack acks, but DragonBabe deserves honorable mention as well. And donj’t forget how I salvaged the giant tarp from crashing down on the huddled masses with my better than average intelligence…with the old double up the bungee trick…works everytime… :wink:

I think this sounds great. I’d prefer the Sunday (unless the Saturday is a holiday??? Did I miss something???) and will make available 3 spaces in The Little Zace That Could to the writers of the best PMs on why I should let you in my car??

I propose lazertag as a rainy day alternative. It’s indoors and easy to get to by MRT. And it’s fun!

I am booked out that w/e for a going away get together, you guys enjoy it.

I’ll probably come. Can probbaly take a couple in the car (from Xindian).

What kind of time. Lunchtime-afternoon, or afternoon-evening. Turn up 10ish or 3ish?

Also it would be a good idea of Loretta or someone would offer a contact number by PM for those who don’t know other Forumosans numbers for info re weather cancellation or if they get lost.

Brian

[quote=“Bu Lai En”]I’ll probably come. Can probbaly take a couple in the car (from Xindian).

What kind of time. Lunchtime-afternoon, or afternoon-evening. Turn up 10ish or 3ish?

Also it would be a good idea of Loretta or someone would offer a contact number by PM for those who don’t know other Forumosans numbers for info re weather cancellation or if they get lost.

Brian[/quote]

Nobody’s expressed a preference about time. Personally I think a late afternoon and evening is enough. I’m milky white right now and ten hours in the sun will make me look like Buttercup did recently. Anybody else got preferences?

I’m not aware of having any enemies or stalkers out there so I’m happy to trade phone numbers by PM.

I suggest a 3pm-to-9pm event so that participants can enjoy the sunlight, sunset and midsummer night.

And those who will get Fulong by train can take those trains:

Train Taipei Fulong
莒光37 13:35 14:50
區間2725 13:45 15:07

When the time to go home, by trains:
Train Fulong Taipei
自強2044 21:27 22:36
區間2722 21:45 23:04
莒光2856 21:56 23:08

[quote=“Loretta”]Nobody’s expressed a preference about time. Personally I think a late afternoon and evening is enough. I’m milky white right now and ten hours in the sun will make me look like Buttercup did recently. Anybody else got preferences?

I’m not aware of having any enemies or stalkers out there so I’m happy to trade phone numbers by PM.[/quote]

Well thanks for removing me from your sig, m’dear. Sadly, sadly, deeply sorrowfully, I won’t be there so it would be unfair to list me as an attraction/deterrant.

Loretta thinks it is funny to poke fun at my misfortune. Fortunately, I think it’s funny to poke fun at Loretta and she gives me so much material to work with!

I would suggest the south end of the beach near the temple as it’s safer for the kids, has restrooms in place, parking and a cabana style restaurant looking over the beach that is covered.

I’m not sure about fires on the beach anywhere though…I’ll check into that tomorrow when I go up. It wouldn’t be a huge detriment though, as the cabana is a nice place to sit.

You could take the train, but remember that the ride out to Fulong from Taipei is very scenic and worth doing. PM if you’d like directions by scooter/motorcycle.

Just to let you all know you can’t have fires on the beach anymore. So don’t even try. Soldiers will come in 5 minutes and make you put it out. Also, I have a house right on the beach so if it becomes a necessity for a clean bathroom or someone is about to pass out from heatstroke and needs some AC they’re welcome to use the place. I do have a BBQ grill as well. But I doubt I could cook for everyone. I’ll do what I can though if you need it. If you have any questions about Fu Long, just ask. Also, I take the train. Takes 1 hour 10 minutes and very comfortable.
Bill

[quote]Just to let you all know you can’t have fires on the beach anymore. So don’t even try. Soldiers will come in 5 minutes and make you put it out.
[/quote]

Is this something new then?

When we were at Fulong last October we had a huge fire going from about 9pm until early morning. We were on the Temple side of the beach then. Nobody bothered us at all and we weren’t the only ones with a fire

[quote=“MJB”]I would suggest the south end of the beach near the temple as it’s safer for the kids, has restrooms in place, parking and a cabana style restaurant looking over the beach that is covered.

I’m not sure about fires on the beach anywhere though…I’ll check into that tomorrow when I go up. It wouldn’t be a huge detriment though, as the cabana is a nice place to sit. [/quote]

Hey MJB. We’re waiting for your report. Did you get a chance to find out?

[quote=“Mugatu”]
When we were at Fulong last October we had a huge fire going from about 9pm until early morning. We were on the Temple side of the beach then. Nobody bothered us at all and we weren’t the only ones with a fire[/quote]

I gave a phone call to Fulong Tourist Service Center which confirmed that “NO FIRE” on the beach.
So it seemed that you were lucky because the police was too busy.

So far the only person to confirm their probable attendance is Namahottie’s avatar, and Bob Dylan said he doesn’t want to play gooseberry. I’ll go through the thread and list all those who expressed interest, but please let me know if you will/won’t be likely to make it.

Also, would like to know more about people’s thoughts on north or south. No fires will surely suck.

And if you want this to be a success then please advertise it in your signature line! I put it in the calendar too. Someone make a banner, willya!!