Summer Point Jr - great little B&B

Just back from this spot and highly recommend it. Stayed at Summer Wings, the white and blue Greek looking place right next to Summer Point Jr., as Jr. was booked out. Summer Wings is operated by a lovely woman named Ivy who is a Kenting native, though the business is owned by a gentleman in Kaohshiung. Word to the wise: The word is out on these two little secrets, so book ahead for either, and far in advance for weekends, if you are thinking of heading down that way. There is other accomodation in the area, though it is hardly as comfortable as either of these two places.

Also, don’t know if it was just because it was stormy and they had so much rain in Kenting these past few days, but the water was a little murky with run off from the river. We were in amongst some tree boughs that had obviously washed down the river, then back in the surf. All fine, though; we boogied some good waves and the water was remarkably fresh (unsalty). Again, don’t know if it was just because it was stormy while we were there, but I wouldn’t recommend the water for kids or non-swimmers. We got hammered a couple times because the sets were coming in so quick in the afternoon and in the evening. Good fun, but absolutely not for novices. Morning looked to be a little calmer.

I was in the water there a few weeks and agree it is not for those who cannot swim or for unattended children. As with many beaches on the East Coast, the coast drops away quickly and after a few steps out you’re likely to be in water over your head. The water was great when I was there though and very very calm. Glad you had a good time.

Are there alternate phone numbers or e-mail addresses? That cell phone number “is not available”, and my e-mail hasn’t been answered.

Are there alternate phone numbers or e-mail addresses? That cell phone number “is not available”, and my e-mail hasn’t been answered.[/quote]
I know Jessie left yesterday for a three week vacation to California, but I’m pretty sure her place is still running in her absence. I’ll send her a message on Facebook and see if she responds.

She’s back…

My wife and I were favorably impressed with Summer Point Jr. We stayed in the same room Maoman has in his video. Quiet and peaceful.

Since the laoban was away, the menu was extremely limited (just one or two items) and dinner was just okay. The breakfasts, however, were terrific.

One caveat: the bed has a footboard, which means if you’re 6 feet or taller you may need to sleep just so lest you stub your toes. And we could have done without the smoke from the locals burning what seemed to have been about an acre of driftwood on the beach one night. But that’s probably not a regular thing and doesn’t have anything to do with the B&B itself.

Overall: highly recommended.

For anyone interested in getting there by public transportation, we took the high-speed rail to Zuoying. In the HSR station is a small stand at which you can buy bus tickets to Hengchun. Those are NT$3xx each, or two round-trip tickets for NT$1,000. Getting to Hengchun takes about two hours. The bus stops at the station. Ignore the taxi drivers who tell you there are no more buses leaving that day or similar bullshit. Go inside the bus station and ask the time of the next bus to Jialeshui. Bus fare is NT$48 or so per person. The trip takes about 20 minutes.

I think the shared taxis to Kenting are a pretty good deal as they often come to less than NT$300/person and they’ll take you right to the door of your hotel/B&B.

General point about taking buses in small towns and the countryside: If you have a Chinese speaker, calling the bus station to find out times is always a good idea, as on many rural routes there are only two or three services per day. Also, routes do get axed, so a phone call ahead of time can save you grief.

Let me chip in and say that this place is still wonderful. My family and I were there for Lunar New Year this year. Chris and Jessie were both wonderful and very welcoming. They both speak excellent English but were not weirded out by my wife and son speaking Taiwanese to them. We stayed at the annex and it was spotlessly clean, breezy, and beautiful. A Big Bear recommendation for this one. I have two different cell phone numbers if the one posted doesn’t work. PM me if you need it.

Was there a few weeks ago and neglected to post a review here.

It’s great. Wish I could have stayed a week.

Do they generally not reply to this email address:

bongout0127 “AT” hotmail.com

I sent them a reservation request earlier this week and haven’t gotten a reply.