Summer Point Jr - great little B&B

Over the CNY holidays, my daughter Trudi and I had the great pleasure of staying at a friend’s B&B in Jialeshui, Pingdong County (佳樂水/Jiālèshuǐ, 屏東/Píngdōng).

For those who don’t know, Jialeshui is in the very far south of Taiwan, almost as far south as Kending, but on the other side of the peninsula. Click here for the Google Map. Summer Point Jr. is a great place to hang out, relax, go surfing or swimming. There are no crowds, and while it is next to a road, the road ends right there, so there is very little traffic. Also, the food is awesome - all of the menu items are from The Diner! There’s air-con, cable TV, lots of good hiking in the Jialeshui Seascape Park, which starts just a few meters away from Summer Point Jr.

You can find pictures of Summer Point Jr. here, pictures of Jialeshui here, and a couple of videos for your viewing enjoyment below:

If you’re interested in staying there, you can e-mail Jessie at bongout0127 (at) hotmail.com, or call her at 0913-422-899. Rates start at NT$2,400/night including breakfast.

Thanks for the recommendation. I’ll be keeping this in mind for spring break. Plus it’d be nice to get back to the Kending area, without going to, well, Kending.

(Still a day left in Chinese New Year vacation and I’m already planning the next getaway…)

It looks good, Mao. Is there anything in the way of sandy beach close by?

Yes, just outside the front door and a short walk down to the beach. It’s clean, and with very few people. I didn’t notice any current, but I didn’t go in very deep because I was with Trudi.

The surfing is supposed to be pretty good there as well - Jessie is an avid surfer and she says that Jialeshui has the most consistent waves of anywhere in Taiwan. Surfboard rentals and lessons can be arranged as well.

I was there yesterday, and can attest to the ambience, the food, and the great view of the local break (which is damn nice by the way). Her assistant also has the best cruising longboard (skateboard) I’ve ever had the pleasure to ride…

2 thumbs up for an area of Kenting that won’t drive you crazy.

Just came back yesterday after a two-night mini-break at Summer Point Jr. and I’m happy to give two thumbs up also.
Gorgeous room, beautiful big patio overlooking the ocean, absolutely spotlessly clean and great burgers and breakfasts in a completely laid-back atmosphere.
Counting the days before we can get back there again.
Thanks so much, Jessie!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Also an EASY trip without a car: HSR to Kaohsiung @ 90 mins > taxi from HSR station to the front door @ 90 mins.

A little over 3 hours from sand in the air and 15-degree misery to sand in your shorts and 32-degree stupendousness.

View from the patio

The patio

The day area of our room

The bed area

The bathroom area

Me after some longboard fun

Jessie

View of Jialeshui

I stayed somewhere near there back in ‘05 - I think the place was called ‘Blue House’ - Taiwanese surfers’ hangout. It was super chilled out (for a group holiday with all Taiwanese).

I recall the beach was pebbly with black sand? And the surf knocked us around a bit that day.

Pleasant memories nonetheless…

Exactly what part of Jialeshui is that? Right up near the gate or down in the little village before the hill and by the river?

Its just on this side of the gate to the park, which is about 30 meters up the road – in fact, you can just see the gate to the right of the bottom photo. In the other direction, its about a 5-minute walk to the junction of the road to Eluanbi.

superb pics sandman!

Its just on this side of the gate to the park, which is about 30 meters up the road – in fact, you can just see the gate to the right of the bottom photo. In the other direction, its about a 5-minute walk to the junction of the road to Eluanbi.[/quote]

Okay, I know. How much was the taxi from the HSR? About NT2000 or so?

Its just on this side of the gate to the park, which is about 30 meters up the road – in fact, you can just see the gate to the right of the bottom photo. In the other direction, its about a 5-minute walk to the junction of the road to Eluanbi.[/quote]

Okay, I know. How much was the taxi from the HSR? About NT2000 or so?[/quote]
NT$500 per head. Its actually one of those minivan things. You tell Jessie what time the train gets in and she has the driver waiting.

Oh, okay. I knew you could do that from the Kaohsiung train station (NT400 a head to Kenting). Just show up and wait till the taxi fills. When I asked at the HSR the answer was no even though I know some hotels do what Jessie does.

Wow! Looks great.

Great pictures, sandman.

And Diner burgers and breakfasts (and the beach)? What could be better.

Thanks for the heads-up about this place.

[quote=“fee”]

Thanks for the heads-up about this place.[/quote]
Shhh, you lot! That tranquil haven of solitude is going to resemble a FHH at this rate.

That place looks freakin’ great. The Jr in the name refers to the fact its an annex to another Summer Point further down the road.
see summerpoint.idv.tw/ for the website of the original Summer Point (which has a dorm for those in need of less salubrious accomodations.)

NT$500 per head. Its actually one of those minivan things. You tell Jessie what time the train gets in and she has the driver waiting.[/quote]

Did you have to pay for the nipper?

I started longing to take the wife and baby there as soon as I read Maoman’s post about the place. I didn’t like the idea of driving there, and was wondering about other transport possibilities, but the way you did it sounds ideal.

Did the minivan driver drive reasonably sensibly and safely? I’ve had some pretty hair-raising rides in those things en route to hotels in the past, and wouldn’t like to entrust my little treasure’s safety to any of the worse among them.

NT$500 per head. Its actually one of those minivan things. You tell Jessie what time the train gets in and she has the driver waiting.[/quote]

Did you have to pay for the nipper?

I started longing to take the wife and baby there as soon as I read Maoman’s post about the place. I didn’t like the idea of driving there, and was wondering about other transport possibilities, but the way you did it sounds ideal.

Did the minivan driver drive reasonably sensibly and safely? I’ve had some pretty hair-raising rides in those things en route to hotels in the past, and wouldn’t like to entrust my little treasure’s safety to any of the worse among them.[/quote]
He was fine. Very steady and reassuring. Not a cowboy. Van was clean, quite new, and tidy.
We farmed the halfbreed out to the nanny for the duration, though. No kid, no dog, just me and the wife. Next time we’ll bring him though – there are nice little kids down there for him to play with. I expect Jessie would be able to tell you if the cabbie would expect a fare for the kid.

Took a drive down there for breakfast today. Really nice little place. Clean and friendly. Pancakes were delish.

Hey, I was just at this place! – I mean near the B & B – right on the shore near the pics above. And I was thinking, “It’d be great to stay near here for a night or two.” I must have been within minutes walk of Summer Point Jr.

I had a 3 minute dip in the ocean. I have never liked ocean swimming, but it looked so inviting and the weather was hot & clear. We had a great day down there.

I was last in Jialeshui in the early 90s, traveling around by scooter. I like it then and love it now. It hasn’t changed much or at all, except many of the house & buildings looked cleaner or freshly painted than I remembered from my earlier visit. In the meantime, I have changed. I appreciate these beauty spots more than ever having lived most of my adult life in Taichung (hint, hint – in case Ken is reading).

I’d like to check this place out again. Thanks for the thread on this beautiful B & B.