Sunburn

How long does it take to burn under sunlight this intense?
Sunday, I rode to Costco–maybe 20 minutes away–and neglected to put on the usual riding jacket.
Today, I’ve got crispy fried forearms. :s

Your skull should be ok, right? Helmet and all.

[quote=“Jaboney”]How long does it take to burn under sunlight this intense?
Sunday, I rode to Costco–maybe 20 minutes away–and neglected to put on the usual riding jacket.
Today, I’ve got crispy fried forearms. :s[/quote]It can take less than 15 minutes, but doesn’t start hurting till later.

but even if it hurt, Telly wouldn’t whine and neither should you.

[/quote]

Well as it happens, Telly died of cancer almost definitely BECAUSE he didn’t whine about it (he refused to go to a doctor about it till it was too late), so you know…

(Wasn’t skin cancer, btw.)

[/quote]

Well as it happens, Telly died of cancer almost definitely BECAUSE he didn’t whine about it (he refused to go to a doctor about it till it was too late), so you know…

(Wasn’t skin cancer, btw.)[/quote]

a man’s man

[/quote]

(Wasn’t skin cancer, btw.)[/quote]

a man’s man[/quote]

and with that attitude, no wonder men never talk about health problems

[quote=“Jaboney”]How long does it take to burn under sunlight this intense?
Today, I’ve got crispy fried forearms. :s[/quote]

You can start to burn in 5 minutes without sunscreen on. Fifteen as BFM says will see you very red. Ice your burn, take panadol or aspirin to thin the blood, and apply vitamin E and cream. Moisterize in the morning and at night for several days.

Never bothered with the docs last time I fell 'blading and broke(?) or cracked(?) a couple of bones in my hand. Does that count as manly enough?

Thanks for the advice and prescriptions.

I burned my eyelids a couple of weeks ago. Took 30 mins of sun. Sunglasses for me from now on. :sunglasses: I’m too whiiiiiite for all this.

Oh no, I searched for any threads on sunburn and so it goes that I was the last person to post in this thread.

I just never learn, do I? It’s not something you grow out of like tonsilitis. I not ever going to get any pigment in my Kelto-Kraut dermis, so why did I espouse the Ambre Solaire on a day like today?

You can get bottles of aloe vera gel at pharmacies. Slather a load on, wait a bit till it’s soaked up and then slather some more on. Helps a bit and feels nice and cool too.

Thank yee. I still have a bit left over from last time…

Is it true yoghurt works? I have a pot in the fridge.

[quote=“Buttercup”]Thank yee. I still have a bit left over from last time…

Is it true yoghurt works? I have a pot in the fridge.[/quote]Be careful with the yoghurt. Maybe you should try it on a small area first.

The first summer I was here I got some kind of a heat rash thing. No bumps but red skin all over my torso and a feeling as if electricity was passing through my skin. Couldn’t sleep one night because of it so put a load of yoghurt on. Just made it itch and burn even more.

Don’t you wish you were like me? :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Natural yoghurt is great, but the stuff you get from 7-11 will just make you smell even weirder than you do already.

Now, where did Buttercup see an aloe vera plant?

Don’t you wish you were like me? :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Natural yoghurt is great, but the stuff you get from 7-11 will just make you smell even weirder than you do already.

Now, where did Buttercup see an aloe vera plant?[/quote]

A salty, weathered old seaman?

Acherly, I’m just about to undertake a ninja raid on the aloe vera plants in the courtyard. If there are no storks around, raising the alarm.

You smell of raw chicken. :raspberry:

I tan like a tomato

Best thing to do is expose those parts gradually to the sun

As regards sunburn… just don’t do it again… until your skin is accustomed to it

Why don’t you guys just carry umbrellas around, you pansies.

1. ps aloe vera works great.

2. remember Kramer’s butter tanning session?

3. Actually, the umbrella is an excellent way for girls to keep their skin beautiful. I know 50 yos whose skin is about the same as when they were 30. I used to laugh at their umbrellas. I don’t anymore. Not when I see the LA version of what happens when women tan for over 30 years. I gag. a lot.

[quote=“joesax”][quote=“Buttercup”]Thank yee. I still have a bit left over from last time…

Is it true yoghurt works? I have a pot in the fridge.[/quote]Be careful with the yoghurt. Maybe you should try it on a small area first.

The first summer I was here I got some kind of a heat rash thing. No bumps but red skin all over my torso and a feeling as if electricity was passing through my skin. Couldn’t sleep one night because of it so put a load of yoghurt on. Just made it itch and burn even more.[/quote]

I get rashes (mostly jock rash, but also bacterial/fungal blisters on the head and undearms). I have a pretty good skin doctor who I am a frequent customer to.

My body by nature is northern (50 degrees + north latitiude capable). Here just the intense sun can trigger rashes, which is helped by humidity (sweat sitting on your skin)

Use body lotion, like Nivea, for at least a week. Apply 2-3 times daily, in particular after taking a shower. Reduces the peeling, too, I observed.