"Superior Genes"

[quote=“blueface666”][quote=“Mr He”]That answered my question. Both the boys look like the bum on the lower picture.

BTW, who is he?[/quote]

Bite me. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:[/quote]

Sorry, couldn’t help it :wink:

[quote=“blueface666”][quote=“Mr He”]That answered my question. Both the boys look like the bum on the lower picture.

BTW, who is he?[/quote]

Bite me. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:[/quote]

maybe your boys should meet his girls and see what happens :mrgreen:

I did not realize that in Mandarin dominant and superior are the same word. What is the word anyway? Could someone give an example of it in a sentence? (“Learning English with Genetics”:))

Mr He, I had the same experience as you when my mum came over to visit. I was walking ahead with Mum while the wife was pushing junior in the pushchair a few yards behind. People thought my wife was the nanny! She was not pleased.

A follow-up to my earlier post:

1. I was surprised at how much prejudice there was against “small eyes” here. My first taste of that, though, was in the US. My bf and I were walking through a store and he made a comment that two Asian kids were so ugly. I didn’t think they were, so I asked him why. He put the tip of each index finger on the outer end of his eyes (which are fairly large and round-ish) and pulled, making his eyes become more like slits – more like the kids eyes.

I was flabbergasted (and I don’t often get flabbergasted). That gesture is usually used by ignorant white people when they are making fun of Asians. I didn’t expect my Asian bf to use it. I was like, “What do you mean? You’re Asian, too.” I was starting to think my bf had some prejudice against his own ethnicity. However, he soon explained it and I understood.

1. On the whole, and with the possible exception of my two roommates in college (who were Chinese/Caucasian twins and NOT good-looking), I think bi-ethnic individuals (male or female) are usually very attractive. Just look at Tiger Woods or Dean Cain or Jason Scott Lee (I think he’s bi-ethnic). Anyway…

My wife has had that happen too. I think that when people here see a foreign-looking baby with an asian woman, they automatically think ‘nanny’.

By the way, here’s my comparison shot. Most people say Emily looks like me, not sure if that is local bias or not.

Wow do WE have different tastes then. To each their own. :smiley:

But did you ever notice that one of her eyes is literally higher than the other. Its obvious in some pictures, not so much in others…

The “superior genes” remind me of what is said about nationalism being the last refuge for losers, like “True, I haven’t achieved much in life, but I am proud of being …”
When I hear this kind of shit I just say “Yeah, right…” with a big grin on my face. Works wonders :slight_smile:

I agree with one poster who said that mixed children tend to look better than “pure-bloods”. It’s often the best of both worlds it seems.

Yes the high heterozygosity results in a lower inbreeding coefficient and all round better fitness score :wink:

BTW, taste differs, I think Shannon Doherty’s legs are to thin.

Anyway, talking about genes. I suppose there should be some Dutch and Portugese genes around. Maybe that’s the reason for some Taiwanese to have a long (big) nose.

I guess most of the real Chinese features are from after the KMT landed here. Hehe!

No, I’m serious about the Dutch and Portugese genes.

Considering that the Portuguese never even landed on Taiwan, it’s highly unlikely, unless the genes came via the troops and slaves that Koxinga got in Portuguese Macao before he drove the Dutch out of Taiwan. These included a regiment of black (former?) slaves too, so there might be a little African in some Taiwanese (but not much as these guys all got sent too Northern China after Koxinga’s regime was defeated.

Brian[/quote]

What about American from during the Vietnam war?

http://www.thewb.com/THEWB/Images/Dynamic/i48/SM-KKreuk-T_2x3_240.jpg

Is this the girl from Smallville you mean? She’s hot.

Hans

I knew someone once that was I think 1/8 or 1/16 Dutch, although they looked fully Taiwanese.

No, no, you are completely wrong about the Dutch genes giving Taiwanese long noses. The long noses on some Taiwanese (and the definitely non-Chinese dusky look to a lot of’em - an awful lot of brown Taiwanese out there, ain’t ya noticed?) comes from the aborigines. DNA studies have shown that nearly all “native Taiwanese” (that is, non-waishengren) have traces of aboriginal ancestry flowing through their blood. If you will notice the next time you see them, long noses are a common physical characteristic amongst the Taiwanese aboriginal tribes. (and personally, I’ve always found the aboriginal girls here way hotter than the Chinese girls - more curves and ooo that creamy coffee skin)

Ditto, mod lang. But have you ever seen the pretty girls from Tainan area with reddish hair and freckles? Aren’t they Dutchmen?

some people have mistaken me for being mixed even though i am not. some people categorize high-bridged noses, deep set eyes as western features because it is the majority. however, there are the exceptions and this is not necessarily attributed to race mixing.

as for eye color, you can have two blue-eyed parents give birth to a brown-eyed child. this is due to many factors (pigmentation for one) that are more complicated than just dominant vs. recessive. in general, brown is dominant over blue and blue is dominant over green.

This is an article discussing how “Hapas” (biracial) Asians are perceived in US.

ModelMinority.com Feature

Actress Kristin Kreuk on the popular WB television show, Smallville, is well-known and admired for her breathtaking beauty. American viewers struggle to pinpoint the exact quality that makes her so ravishing, but we Asians have recognized the reason for her appeal long ago.

It’s because she’s a hapa.
When Jane Cosmetics ran magazine advertisements with an Asian teenager, my Asian friends and I got together to comment on her looks. Was she an accurate representation of our race? Were her eyes too “chinky”? While we were excited that an Asian face was in a
According to my personal experience and Helen Zia’s article, “Reinventing Our Culture,” the American media has a long standing history of demeaning and rejecting Asian actors. Even in the year 2002, “Asian sightings”, as Zia calls them, are still rare enough to provoke a delighted, or surprised, reaction.

prominent company’s advertisement, we bemoaned the fact that she looked so stereotypically Asian.

It seems there are only two types of Asians in the media. There is the stereotypical Asian, who possesses at least one of the following characteristics: prominently slanted eyes (e.g., Lucy Liu on the television show Ally McBeal), a horrible accent (e.g., Jet Li in the movie Romeo Must Die), and a poor grasp on American culture (e.g., the dorky Asian roommate who squealed, “I love Ame-li-kah!” when approached by two buxom Caucasian sorority girls, in the movie, How High). If an Asian actor does not fall into this category, then he or she must be hapa in order to get any roles.

Hapas, it seems, look “American” enough to be able to play roles outside of stereotypical ethnic characters - i.e., they can actually play real people. What a slap in the face to Asian-Americans! This is yet another way the media emphasizes Western beauty over all other ethnicities. They may laud us for our “exotic” looks (hence the selection of Asians with the most exaggerated facial stereotypes in print ads, television, and film), but we apparently do not look “American” enough to be considered a part of the mainstream society that speaks English fluently.

Perhaps the most aggravating final insult would be Asian-Americans and hapa celebrities’ reluctance, or downright refusal, to identify themselves as Asian. When Zia mentioned news personality Connie Chung’s attempt to downplay her Chinese American ethnicity, I shook my head in sorrow. It is sad that she felt she had to conceal her racial background in order to stand her ground with her Caucasian-dominated workplace; if she wanted to succeed and rise to the top, she had to forgo her roots, and break her ties with the Asian community.

So, Kristin Kreuk is actually half-Asian. The specific Asian ethnicity is unknown, because, not surprisingly, she seldom divulges this genetic fact in interviews. She claims she does not speak any language other than English, and knows nothing of the cultural background of her mysterious Asian ethnicity. She does not want to be branded as a hapa, for her fame is increasing, and she cannot afford to be affiliated with the Asian race.

modelminority.com/article239.html

Well, that was suitably self-pitying and paranoid. Here’s another article just like that at chiponmyshoulder.com

I think that “factor” is usually known as “an affair”. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

[quote=“urbanjet”]When Zia mentioned news personality Connie Chung’s attempt to downplay her Chinese American ethnicity, I shook my head in sorrow. It is sad that she felt she had to conceal her racial background in order to stand her ground with her Caucasian-dominated workplace; if she wanted to succeed and rise to the top, she had to forgo her roots, and break her ties with the Asian community.
[/quote]

How can Connie Chung downplay her Asian ethnicity? Come on, look at her- there is no question as to background so how can she downplay it?

She was born in Washington D.C. and probably was in the States most of her life as Kristin Kreuk as well. They may not wish or feel confident talking about a culture which they may not be familiar with and so they cannot be blamed for this. A person of Asian descent growing up in an outside country all their lives are absorbed into that culture and may not feel real “ties” to the culture of their skin. I was the same way. I never stepped foot in Taiwan until I was over 18 and after living and working here for many years, I now know a lot more about my roots. Some people don’t get the opportunity to do this and end up not being able to say more than “I’m Asian/German,… American/Canadian”. That’s reality.