Supposedly outdated technology that just works!

My personal fave of outdated tech that work well at the moment are

  • Bluetooth headset (mono)
  • Wired headphones

My wife bought me this really cheesy old school Bluetooth headset that you lodge on your ear on Shopee. At first I didn’t use it much but now I’ve gone full early 2000s salesman mode on it . It has flashing LED lights and everything. It’s also indestructible , you can throw it anywhere.

I love it because the battery is massive I think I only ever charged it once, the sound and mike is great and it connects instantly to my phone with solid Bluetooth connection. You just stick it on one ear and you gain 100% confidence with those LED lights flashing !

I was reading up on wireless headphones recently and it seems these Bluetooth headset still have a superior Bluetooth link or something compared to 10k NTD wireless earbuds. Funny.

I also use wired headsets and headphones with my computer still.

My kids have those too!!!

Can’t beat the flashing LEDs especially in Taiwan’s traffic.

This.

Skype worked fine.

Just sayin’.

Guy

It has to be stuff we can still use.

Windows XP. They still use it on the circle line!

This still pisses me off, and I’m still suffering the consequences of Microsoft destroying Skype and then deactivating it! I will not join teams! Bill Gates can suck it!

Pencil and paper, like our ancestors used to use.

What were the consequences?

OMG end of an era, I haven’t used it for a long time, but that was my first VOI about 23 years ago for a Japan job interview

I had similar ones before without the microphone and wore them for my night walks for this exact same reason :sweat_smile:

The first thing Microsoft did when they took it over was try to turn Skype into another social media platform. Kind of like LINE does to a little extent with the dumb “voom” function and ability to post status updates and share pictures, etc. Microsoft’s Skype started searching my contacts and then notifying me of “someone you might know and want to connect with”. It was a super not good thing. They disabled that function after about 3 months because so many people “shat the bed” over it, to include me. I used it for business and so did most people who complained because we didn’t need nor want another frickin’ social media app.

In fact, one of the major complaints was a middleman here in Taiwan who sold paper products such as paper plates, cups, food containers. The Microsoft Skype was suggesting to his wholesale customers that they might know the manufacturer and want to connect with them! Yes, effectively killing the guy’s business as a middleman. Sure…way to go Microsoft Skype…why should anyone make a living when you can just make sure that wholesalers can go directly to the manufacturer! Evil.

One woman threatened to sue Microsoft because the algorithm suggested that a particular male user of Skype might be someone she knew and would want to connect with. She did not as he was her past rapist. Can you imagine being a woman who went through the terrible ordeal of rape and then Microsoft’s Skype “helpfully” suggests that her rapist is someone she might want to connect with? Just dumbfuckery on Microsoft’s part. Evil

So, Microsoft buys Skype. Closes down their own MSN Messenger, which I used to communicate with my elderly parents, as well as hundreds of thousands of other people, perhaps millions. Microsoft forced us all to move to Skype due to shutting it down.

Then, after the dust settled and people got used to their new reality, Microsoft shut Skype down and has been/is trying to get everyone to move to Microsoft Teams on a subscription based plan which is way more expensive than Skype ever was. Evil.

Makes me think of how you used to be able to purchase Microsoft Office just one time, but now they are trying to force everyone to move to Office 365 which also is an annual subscription instead of just buying it once. For now, you can still purchase Office as a one-time purchase, but you have to really hunt for it on their website because they are really pushing the annual subscription. Evil.

Check it out. LINE’s Voom is being discontinued. Ha