Supreme Court Justice Caught in Love Motel

brianlkennedy:

An interesting assortment of terms, but,
the tie-in to laws in Taiwan is …? :idunno:

I see a judge lying in public about behaviour that is illegal and incompatible with his status as a judge. He could have said “no comment” but he elected to lie. Oops.

As to the criminal bit, if actual penetration must be proved then he has not committed a crime and that’s OK with me then. I assume there will be an investigation?

Or maybe not:

[quote=“Vorkosigan”][quote]So, he will not be charged with adultery because:

(a) he’s a judge, and they are immune from prosecution
(b) he’s rich, and rich people are above the law (one law for the poor, many laws for the rich)
(c) he’s already resigned, and that’s punishment enough for breaking the law
(d) what law?
(e) what do you expect? He’s a judge! Do as I say, not as I do![/quote]

As I recall, Taiwan’s adultery laws are strict. I think to actually get charged with criminal adultery, you have to get caught in the act.

Vorkosigan[/quote]

You might be right. The guy on the front page of Thursday’s (?) Apple Daily was indeed caught in the act and therefore sentenced to 6 months and NT$1,000,000 in compo.

I got some idle time and feel like moving my fingers so, a couple of points. In Taiwan adultery can be pursued either as a private criminal lawsuit (meaning no involvement from the public prosecutors, you get a private attorney and have at it) or as a public prosecution. In either event the victim must press the charges. The victim is the spouse. So if spouse declines to proceed, no prosecution of any kind. But if the spouse does press charges the prosecutor has limited discretion (actually the range of prosecutorial discretion is a big unknown, especially since the new code of criminal procedure came into effect several years back) and generally will open a file and turn it over to an investigation prosecutor. So in reality talking about how vigorously the adultery laws are prosecuted makes little sense.

As to the punishment, remember that in Taiwan jail sentences are convertible to a fine if the sentence is six months or less. So the guy in the Apple Daily story did not go to jail he just has to pay money.

The reality seems to be the threat of criminal adultery charges is used as a club to threaten wayward husbands and wives by the bereaved party. Also too adultery criminal charges are often pursued in tandem with a divorce proceeding. If I got Taiwanese family law right (and that is not my forte, but I think I got this right) divorce is still fault divorce. And the easiest grounds, in some cases, is adultery so that is often charged.

As to the judges ethics problems I do not even want to get started on the simple minded hypocrisy which is Taiwanese judicial ethics. It is enough to say that the modern ROC bench is keeping corruption at Qing Dynasty levels. So they are doing their part to carry on the 5,000,000 years of Chinese culture (there maybe too many zeros in that figure?).

Yours in judicial malfeasance,
Judge Dredd

If I were the Qing Dynasty I’d sue you for libel. :wink:

If I were the Qing Dynasty I’d sue you for libel. :wink:[/quote]

you wouldn’t have a chance, not with this bunch … :laughing: