Surfing just out of Taipei

So, you’re living in Taiwan and now you want to take advantage of the fact that you live in the sub-tropics. When it gets too hot in the city, BaiHsaWan Beach (on the NorthWest coast) is the perfect day trip, with clean white sand, and clean water. If swimming and suntanning isn’t enough for you, the recently opened CU Surf Shop may have what you’re looking for. Owned by a couple of the coolest Taiwanese people I’ve met, this is the local surfing connection that you’ve been looking for.

Now keep in mind that this isn’t Austalia or Bali, so don’t expect massive waves all the time. BaiHsaWan beach itself can often be quite calm at times, but this is where knowing some cool locals can help. They run a shuttle between Tamshui and Jinshan Beaches so you can access the best beaches according to the daily conditions. It tends to be better suited for long board surfers, but can really go off as well, so you see all sizes out there.

CU Surf Shop rents long and short boards as well as body boards. If you’re a seasoned surfer but didn’t bring your board, they also have performance packages available. All rentals come with insurance as well. If your a beginner, lessons are available. If your mandarin ablilities are limited, call first and make sure their “cracker” is available for English instruction.

Their shuttle can get you access to four major spots: Hsa Luen beach outside Tamshui, BaiHsaWan beach outside San Jhih, Jong Jiao Beach in ShihMen, and Guo Sen Chiao beach in JinShan. They are open every day, but if you’re coming out in the afternoon on Monday to Friday, it’s best to call first and make sure they’re in the shop.

If you’re coming out from Taipei, take the MRT to Tamshui station, the last stop on the green line. There are buses right in the front of the station. The buses aren’t numbered, so just ask for a bus heading to BaiHsaWan (Bi-sa-won for those of us who don’t read Pinyin). They will let you out right at the beach. The shop is right on the main drag (beach side) just down from the entrance to the beach. Just look for the the surf boards and listen for the Reggae music.

Feel free to call or email me for any info. 09-1707-8508 kloewen99@hotmail.com. So, get off your ass, get out of the city, and get into the water. CU there soon.

Prices
Board rental - $500/day
with instruction - $700/day
Performance boards
short board - $600/day
long board - $700/day
Insurance - included with rental

Good post. It’s an ad but I don’t think anyone will object as it’s pretty informative about getting around to the beaches and surfing in general. Baishawan is a beautiful beach. Didn’t know they had any shops there though. All I saw was the Tourist Office.

What do you mean by their “cracker?”

I would assume they mean their white guy,anyways that is what we are called by a certain minority back home in the states.

Judging by the posters English capabilities, I would say he is the cracker that works there.

Yes, very good! Cracker = white guy. I’ve heard this so much out here, but come to think of it, only by other crackers.

Yes, very good! Cracker = white guy. I’ve heard this so much out here, but come to think of it, only by other crackers.

I met Kenn a while back. He is a great guy who is just helping some friends run their surf shop, he mainly handles the foreign customers. :beer: Hey, where else in the world can you get a board and instruction for NT700???