Surfing

That’s probably got some truth to it. Thanks for the tips on how to get there.

[quote=“yamato”]wow! thanks for all the help!!!

It all sounds a bit intimidating though, hopefully I can find someone to go with :smiley:[/quote]

I’ve only tried surfing once but loved it. Wanna get more into it. :sunglasses: If you find someone to arrange a trip or some sort, I’d be interested to join :slight_smile:

Where can I get surfing lessons in Taiwan? hOW MUCH WOULD THEY COST? If you’re based in Taipei, is it possible to reach okay beaches throughout the year? How much would a surfboard cost?

Here’s the most recent link where this has been discussed. Try the search function and input “surfing”. You’ll be amazed at what you can find!
Forumosa Surfing Thread

[quote=“sillyBunnie”][quote=“yamato”]wow! thanks for all the help!!!

It all sounds a bit intimidating though, hopefully I can find someone to go with :smiley:[/quote]

I’ve only tried surfing once but loved it. Wanna get more into it. :sunglasses: If you find someone to arrange a trip or some sort, I’d be interested to join :slight_smile:[/quote]

There’s the self-proclaimed Taipei Surfing Club on facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=69916947036&ref=ts
I wonder how much the board hire is…? And as for bodyboards?

I think this might be a scam-I know for certain there is no surfing in Taipei.

It doesn’t look like a scam. However, it doesn’t look like a real club of any sort. Clubs I belong to have membership dues and membership benefits. It actually looks like a foreigner trying to capitalize on the surfing bug which has bitten a lot of people here in the past few years. So, a guy creates a business to load up a busload of new surfing enthusiasts, charges them $1,200 for the day, (bus trip to Yilan, surfboard, lessons, beer, BBQ, and a ride back to Taipei) and calls it a surfing club. I wonder if he’s got a business license for this endeavor or if his visa status allows for it. Here’s the Facebook advertisement.

Taipei Surf Club

Time to dust off those swimmers and get in the water!!! Weekend trips to the great surf-spots around the north and east of Taiwan. Learn to surf with some of Taiwan’s top surf coaches, chill on the beach, and BBQ it up with everyone as the sun goes down!

This is the crack:
Every 1st and 3rd Sunday of the month, starting from March 8th, trips will run to either the north coast or east coast surf beaches. Trips may also run on Saturday, depending on demand.

NT$ 1200 gets you:

• Private coach travel to and from the coast.
  • Surfboard and wetsuit (if necessary) hire
  • 1 hour’s professional coaching
  • 3 hours surfing (or just lying on the beach!)
    and…
  • BBQ and beers!!!

You can sign up in advance for a trip by:

Telephone:
(English) Al - 0952501060
(Chinese / French) Emma - 0932058506

Email:
al_hudson101@yahoo.co.uk

Facebook:

• message Alistair Hudson

Coaches leave from Shida University Main Gates (Heping East Road, near Shida Road intersection) at 10am in the morning, and return at about 6!

Surfing popularity has exploded over the recent few years, come with us and discover why!

‘Surfing’s the source. It’ll change your life, I swear to God.’
-Point Break

Why doesn’t Bodhi or Johnny Utah get credit for the surf quote at the bottom?

Blasphemy.

[quote=“Deuce Dropper”]Why doesn’t Brodie or Johnny Utah get credit for the surf quote at the bottom?

Blasphemy.[/quote]

I’m pretty sure Gary Busey said it.

[quote=“Deuce Dropper”]Why doesn’t Brodie or Johnny Utah get credit for the surf quote at the bottom?

Blasphemy.[/quote]

Bodhi, not Brodie…

and the quote is from one of the gang…

[quote=“the chief”][quote=“Deuce Dropper”]Why doesn’t Brodie or Johnny Utah get credit for the surf quote at the bottom?

Blasphemy.[/quote]

Bodhi, not Brodie…

and the quote is from one of the gang…[/quote]

thanks, edited…and your knowledge of ‘Point Break’ is impressive.

100% pure adrenaline baybee!

[quote=“Deuce Dropper”][quote=“the chief”][quote=“Deuce Dropper”]Why doesn’t Brodie or Johnny Utah get credit for the surf quote at the bottom?

Blasphemy.[/quote]

Bodhi, not Brodie…

and the quote is from one of the gang…[/quote]

thanks, edited…and your knowledge of ‘Point Break’ is impressive.

100% pure adrenaline baybee![/quote]

Wait for it, dude, Point Break 2 is coming later this year, all shot in Indonesia!!
The one & only Koby Adderton (personal Facebook friend of mine) does all Swayze’s surf stunts!

90 seconds, Johnny, that’s all I ask for, 90 seconds of your life…

[quote=“Northcoast Surfer”][quote=“pazynique”]What’s the incidence of shark spottings/attacks in Taiwan? Does anyone bodyboard or will I look like a pansy if I do so? What’s the closest surf spot to Taipei? Sorry if this is in the wrong thread.
Thanks=)[/quote]
I have lived and surfed in Taiwan over the past nine years and I’ve never seen a shark or even heard of anybody being attacked by sharks in any swimming or surfing areas near the island. I think the Taiwanese have fished them all out.

The closest surf spot to Taipei is Baishawan Beach on the northcoast. See my 7th post from page one of this thread for details.[/quote]
Is Baishawan the beach that is near the fishermans pier at DanShui? I’ve ridden my bike out there many times from City Hall for a surf check and never seen a wave there more than 2 feet ever. I’ve surfed Waiao, Wushi breakwall and Dashi many times and there is never any shortage of swell there and Fulong too on occasions and Green Bay and Jin Shan. With the new high speed train to Kaoshung it’s worth going to Kenting for a weekend away (hire a car in kaoshung).

Shark fin soup being the delicassey it is in Asia I suspect there are no sharks left anywhere near the island.

[quote=“Slowman”][quote=“Northcoast Surfer”][quote=“pazynique”]What’s the incidence of shark spottings/attacks in Taiwan? Does anyone bodyboard or will I look like a pansy if I do so? What’s the closest surf spot to Taipei? Sorry if this is in the wrong thread.
Thanks=)[/quote]I have lived and surfed in Taiwan over the past nine years and I’ve never seen a shark or even heard of anybody being attacked by sharks in any swimming or surfing areas near the island. I think the Taiwanese have fished them all out.
The closest surf spot to Taipei is Baishawan Beach on the northcoast. See my 7th post from page one of this thread for details.[/quote]Is Baishawan the beach that is near the fishermans pier at Danshui? I’ve ridden my bike out there many times from City Hall for a surf check and never seen a wave there more than 2 feet ever. I’ve surfed Waiao, Wushi breakwall and Daxi many times and there is never any shortage of swell there and Fulong too on occasions and Green Bay and Jinshan. With the new high speed train to Kaoshung (Gaoxiong) it’s worth going to Kending for a weekend away (hire a car in Kaoshung (Gaoxiong). Shark fin soup being the delicassey it is in Asia I suspect there are no sharks left anywhere near the island.[/quote]
Baishwan Beach is about 15km to the east of Danshui on Tan-Jing Road. It’s about half-way between Danshui and Jinshan. The waves were really pumping today! Nice surf. Danshui is a delta and there is no surf there.

Thanks for the info I’ll have to ride a little further next time or when I have a car keep driving west from JinShan and have a look…thought I’d discovered nearly everything…except down south.

Now this is pumping:

[quote=“Slowman”]
Now this is pumping:
[/quote]

Is this taiwan ?

Totally agree with here I’m sacred at the number of people claiming “I don’t know how to swim, but it’s ok, there’s the leash !” :doh:
Scary.

As for the sharks, I remember asking this, the first I came, to locals, and yes, the answer was “We ate them all”

Anybody watching that system moving off guam ?

[quote=“Frenchguy”]
Is this taiwan ?
…[/quote]
No it is in Sydney where I live on Anzac Day (25/04/2009 was a rare day where just about every beach or point break was producing exceptional quality). I visit Taiwan often…I’ve never seen waves this good in Taiwan but still had some good waves. It was a pleasant surprise to find surf in Taiwan when I came over for work for a project…after about 25 trips only one was flat.

For all the surfers out there.

[quote]A huge ocean wave has been filmed from beneath the surface, revealing features never before captured on camera.

The remarkable video, which will be shown as part of the BBC Natural History Unit’s new series South Pacific, was filmed in super slow motion using a high-definition camera. [/quote]

More here: news.bbc.co.uk/earth/hi/earth_ne … 035593.stm

[quote=“Anubis”]For all the surfers out there.

[quote]A huge ocean wave has been filmed from beneath the surface, revealing features never before captured on camera.

The remarkable video, which will be shown as part of the BBC Natural History Unit’s new series South Pacific, was filmed in super slow motion using a high-definition camera. [/quote]

More here: news.bbc.co.uk/earth/hi/earth_ne … 035593.stm[/quote]
Giant wave? 12’ isn’t really a giant wave - though those BBC guys found a nice excuse to get up to the Caroline Islands! I’ve seen plenty of underwater shots like that they just haven’t focused so much on the vortices left by the peeling lip but they have been captured even if only briefly.

I just arrived from Indo (bali, nusa lembongan, lombok, and sumbawa) and am now living in Taipei so if anyone is keen to head and get some waves with me let me know and I’ll split any costs. Surfing Taiwan - Yew!