Surfing

Anyone do surfing in Taiwan?

I have no experience of it at all but would like to get into it. what’s the best way?

Any advice welcome. :notworthy:

First things first. Are you a decent swimmer? You’d be surprised how few people check that box before trying surfing.

There’s boards for hire down at Dingxi, just past Fulong. Hire one and dive right in.

GOLDEN RULE! Be courteous to other surfers. If someone else is on a wave, don’t try and catch it.

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]First things first. Are you a decent swimmer? You’d be surprised how few people check that box before trying surfing.

There’s boards for hire down at Dingxi, just past Fulong. Hire one and dive right in.

GOLDEN RULE! Be courteous to other surfers. If someone else is on a wave, don’t try and catch it.

HG[/quote]

thanks for replying! :smiley:

I can swim alright, I wouldn’t say I was a ‘strong swimmer’ but I won’t drown. :stuck_out_tongue:

Is there a season I should go in? Do I need a wet suit? Is it better to go with someone?

How do I know which wave belongs to who?

Well, the thing about surfing is that you are putting yourself in water that is typically difficult for swimming, so you really should be a very confident swimmer before diving in. I really can’t count the number of people I’ve pulled out of the water that didn’t count on this, and if it weren’t for me and others, they would be most certainly dead now.

First step, go to the beach and watch for a long while. You’ll work it out. As to who’s wave, if you end up with Bubba’s board up your arse then you probably “dropped in.”

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Well, the thing about surfing is that you are putting yourself in water that is typically difficult for swimming, so you really should be a very confident swimmer before diving in. I really can’t count the number of people I’ve pulled out of the water that didn’t count on this, and if it weren’t for me and others, they would be most certainly dead now.

First step, go to the beach and watch for a long while. You’ll work it out. As to who’s wave, if you end up with Bubba’s board up your arse then you probably “dropped in.”

HG[/quote]

Knowing how to swim isn’t a requirement here is Taiwan. There aren’t any lifeguards and I doubt many people here know how to swim or do CPR so you’re responsible for yourself. I’ve saved enough people in this lifetime to chalk up enough Karma points that I could go on a murder spree and still come up ahead. (See dropping in at the bottom)

A lot of the surf shops here will give you an intro lesson (on the beach) on how to stand up. 95% of being successful in surfing is paddling. If you can paddle your ass off all day you’ll be okay. Start with a soft board, made of foam, which will minimize injury to yourself and others around you. Learn to “turtle” your board and don’t throw your board over waves. I got hit on the back with a 10 footer that some high school kid threw over a wave and had a huge bruise on my back. I grabbed the leash of his board and reeled him in with the intent of a quickly and quietly drowning him with it. Instead I gave him a stern lecture and told him to watch me surf for an hour before coming back in the water.

There isn’t much courtesy on the waves here, so, yes, I will knock you off the wave if you snake me,
(cut in on my wave as I’m riding) *See HGC’s reference to Bubba.

The Northern swell is here so I’d check the south beaches-I’m going tomorrow to Wu Shr Gang and south jetty has crowds of newbies this time of year surfing and renting boards from the winter camps set up on the beach.The waves are usually blow out after 12 so get there early. Last Thursday there were 30 people-yes I head counted them-in the south jetty riding the easy wave there.

If you don’t mind the cold, it’s great surfing for a beginner. You’ll need a wet suit until about March, then the water is great until November and warm enough to just need a rash guard. Warm water is one of the advantages of surfing here.

Jin Shan, Daxi, Wu Shr Gang are popular in the summer and fall. VERY popular in the last 7 years -so be ready for crowds. Other surf spots you can find yourself cause I ain’t gonna tell ya.

Stay away from Typhoon swells, and don’t ride anything you have trouble paddling into. The current can get strong on the days before a typhoon hits. If you are riding on a “beginners” wave most of them will be “party” waves-which is like what you saw in those miserable “Gidget” movies in Malibu where 50 people are riding the same wave straight into shore. So go for it.

I’d surf with some who knows and cares about you, the other option is wearing a light life-vest, don’t worry about looking like a kook because 98% of the surfers here are riding pink boards fixed with duct tape and sporting fucked up haircuts and fake pucca shell necklaces they’ve seen in Japanese surfing magazines.
So in the kingdom of the freaks nothing is uncool.

There isn’t any localism here like in most surf spots, (except for maybe by me :smiley: ) so it’s a comfortable place to learn.
If you are an attractive, young, single female feel free to PM me for private lessons. :sunglasses: :smiley: :wink:

wow! thanks for all the help!!!

It all sounds a bit intimidating though, hopefully I can find someone to go with :smiley:

Forumosans,

The northern winter swell is definitely here and if you want to surf at a location with the easiest access from Taipei City I would recommend Bai-Sha-Wan Beach on the northcoast. Just take the MRT to the Tanshui Station and take a city bus for about 30 minutes the rest of way to the northcoast. The beach isn’t crowded during this time of the year and the waves have been awesome the past couple weeks. I live at Bai-Sha-Wan and you will find me surfing there every morning with the other resident surfers. My friend owns the only surf shop out there and he rents and sells all equipment needed as well as provides surf lessons. Surfboard rentals are NTD$500 per day and also includes a fullbody wetsuit if necessary.

Here’s some information that you can check out.

CU Surf Shop
A.C. - Owner
(02) 2638-2733

Websites:

tw.myblog.yahoo.com/surf70tw2000/

TV Show Introducing AC and the CU surf shop
justaiwan.com/event/winner/mov100/top5.htm
(double click the picture to make the video full screen)

[color=#FF0000]April 2011 Photos[/color]

Here are some pictures the second week of April 2011! The surf was really nice. Come on out and have some fun!

Now yamato, you have absolutely no excuse not to get in amongst it! :laughing:

HG

As a windsurfer, I make it a rule to stay out of leash range.

Elegua,

Bai-Sha-Wan is so large that there is plenty of room for everyone! We have lots of windsurfers and kite surfer friends who come out and jam with us all the time and there is no danger of getting tangled up. Additionally, we do not subscribe to a “our beach, locals only” mentality. All people are welcomed to join in the fun whether you are a veteran or a newbie!

Welcome all! :thumbsup:

Northcoast Surfer

wow thanks! :smiley:

Forgot to mention that you should also watch your wallet when the land sharks come out to sell you stuff.

You don’t need to buy cool. Get a beater board and go for it.

Elegua,

Bai-Sha-Wan is so large that there is plenty of room for everyone! We have lots of windsurfers and kite surfer friends who come out and jam with us all the time and there is no danger of getting tangled up. Additionally, we do not subscribe to a “our beach, locals only” mentality. All people are welcomed to join in the fun whether you are a veteran or a newby!

Welcome all! :thumbsup:

Northcoast Surfer[/quote]

Cool. That’s nice to know. When I was in Taiwan most of my time was spent out of Chunan and Guanying.

Per request,

The hotel/motel at Baishawan Beach is named Baishawan Guest House. They are located across the street from the beach and CU Surf Shop. The cheapest room they have is $1380 per night. Here is their information.

Baishawan Guest House
Tel: 02-2638-3225
fax: 02-2638-1532

I talked with AC today and he told me that surfboard rentals are NTD$500 per day and also includes a fullbody wetsuit. I scanned through some of my old data and I found a link to a TV program that showcased AC and his CU surf shop. Take a look at the following link. The video picture is a little small so just double click and it will expand to fullscreen. Can you guess who I am?

justaiwan.com/event/winner/mov100/top5.htm

Come on out and have some fun. It was really beautiful today.

Northcoast Surfer :sunglasses:

sounds great!

I went surfing at Wai’ao (just north of Toucheng/Yilan) a couple of months ago. It was awesome. The real trick is not in staying on the board, but in paddling hard and getting up on the board at the right time. I found that I just lacked the arm/shoulder strength to do this all afternoon - by the end of the day, my arms felt like noodles. But it’s a great feeling when you time it just right, and you’re standing on the board, with the sun on your back, and the salt spray in your face. And then all too quickly it’s over, and you have to start over again. I’m a fat bastard, but I’ll be doing more of this. Also, it’s an activity that my kid will eventually be able to do, so that’s a plus.

Which is why having “two guns” is useful. I boogie board two to keep my legs strong, and paddleboard on the flat days.

ps. Maoman stay off my wave.

[color=#000040]Hi,there

If you guy wanna buy some surfing style apparel,i sugget you to join this! :blah:
facebook.com/business/dashbo … 2111762972[/color]

What’s the incidence of shark spottings/attacks in taiwan? Does anyone bodyboard or will I look like a pansy if I do so? What’s the closest surf spot to Taipei? Sorry if this is in the wrong thread.

Thanks=)

[quote=“pazynique”]What’s the incidence of shark spottings/attacks in Taiwan? Does anyone bodyboard or will I look like a pansy if I do so? What’s the closest surf spot to Taipei? Sorry if this is in the wrong thread.
Thanks=)[/quote]
I have lived and surfed in Taiwan over the past nine years and I’ve never seen a shark or even heard of anybody being attacked by sharks in any swimming or surfing areas near the island. I think the Taiwanese have fished them all out.

The closest surf spot to Taipei is Baishawan Beach on the northcoast. See my 7th post from page one of this thread for details.