Survey on Taiwanese cultural food

Hello, I am a high-school student in I-Shou International School and I am currently working of my personal project on Taiwanese tradition and cultural food. If possible, please answer the questions below, it won’t take you too much time and all your answers will be really helpful for my project.

1. How long have you been in Taiwan? (ex: 2years)

2. What kind of food do you think represents Taiwanese culture the best?

3. What Taiwanese food would you like to try?

4. What Taiwanese food wouldn’t you try?

5. Are there any Taiwanese food you would personally like to recommend to other people?

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ANSWERING THESE QUESTIONS

Link?

Sorry there’s no link to this survey, so could you please just answer the questions by its number? Thanks a lot!

It takes like 5min to make an internet survey. I would utilize it, also helps to consolidate data.

2 Likes

Okay, I’ll make one now, thanks for the recommandation :smile:

1. 25 years
  2. 便當
  3. I’ve probably tried everything I know of and want to try
  4. Anything not readily identifiable visually
  5. Many! How about 魚酥羹 with a nice shot of black vinegar and chill paste (and a bowl of 甜不辣 on the side preferably)
  1. 7 years
  2. Those pineapple cookie cake things.
  3. Probably been there/done that.
  4. I do not know the answer to this, but probably will answer it with something I have tried and I wish I hadn’t.That fermented bamboo thing. People love that, and that is awesome. However, not for me.
  5. Stinky tofu, Onion pancake, and those pineapple cookie/cakes.

Thank you.

1. 7years

2. 豬血糕 pigs blood cake, 麺線, 臭豆腐stinky tofu : I didn’t think about “cultural” part in your question.

Traditional 年菜 New Year’s dishes: including many kinds of food affected by food culture of many different places

小吃 snacks at food stands: I think it’s very taiwanes-ish.

3. If looks good, I would try.

4. Pigs blood cake, stinky tofu

5. Sweets

first of all, congrats on the kid who found out about forumosa. you made your high school life so much easier instead of looking for foreigners on the streets of kaohsiung;)
if you upload a survey like andrew0409 has already suggested, i’m sure a lot more people would be willing to participate.

on a different note, is this the way how languange or cultural exchange is supposed to work? i know it’s just a silly high school project but i’ve encountered this situation quite a few times on the street with students asking me about the most stereotypical things here, chou doufu was almost always involved and some awkard giggling…
if you’re an english teacher, please stop giving your students those tasks and educate them to something more meaningful :stuck_out_tongue:

How about helping the kid out by answering the questions instead of complaining to them about something that’s well beyond their control?

How long have you been in Taiwan?
Longer than you’ve been alive

What kind of food do you think represents Taiwanese culture the best?
How about Tianbula? It’s all (essentially) native Taiwanese ingredients and it’s not really derived from any other country’s cuisine. It’s also all cheap stuff, so it shows how even without any fancy/expensive stuff available, folks are able to use their ingenuity to come up with a nutritious and enjoyable result. Finally, it’s major comfort food for most local people

What Taiwanese food would you like to try?
Real authentic Chiayi turkey rice. Even though I’ve been in Chiayi a thousand times, it’s always with people who grew up there, so they have no interest in it

What Taiwanese food wouldn’t you try?
Pig blood cake. I grew up eating pretty much every part of the animal, but we just never ate blood, I can’t do it

Are there any Taiwanese food you would personally like to recommend to other people?
3 Cups Anything, especially chicken or frog

Good luck with your project, kid

2 Likes
  1. 10 years…give or take

2. Beef noodle soup or bubble milk tea

3. Snake soup

4. Anything that has raw peanut in it.

5. Taiwanese style braised dishes (滷味)

1. This current continuous stay, 1 year

2. Beef noodle soup

3. Tried most/can’t think of one

4. Insects

5. Sun cake

1. Same as Rocket’s answer.

2. 肉圓, 炒米粉,排骨便當,潤餅,貢丸湯,滷肉飯

3. The medicinal wine with the hornets in it.

4. Anything with organs in it, anything slathered in mayo, pregnant seafood.

5. 沙茶牛肉炒麵,lychees.

Go there before noon, and ask for 腿肉飯

How long have you been in Taiwan? (ex: 2years)

More than a lustrum

What kind of food do you think represents Taiwanese culture the best?

Food that represents Taiwanese culture… as in popular and well, Taiwanese looking? street deep fried unhealthy food.

What Taiwanese food would you like to try?

There’s nothing that I know and haven’t tried that I want to try.

What Taiwanese food wouldn’t you try?

Guts and things of the kind. TBH I’d like to cook more at home. Today I saw from the window a blue truck carrying like 6 big containers of what looked like Pientang food. Open. On the street. I felt like to throw up.

Are there any Taiwanese food you would personally like to recommend to other people?

That Hakka stir fried dish. Omelette with crystal noodles, dumplings, etc… pork. I’d like people to try this:

That’s definitely the tastiest looking rock I’ve ever seen.

1 Like

A bit stale perhaps.

I’ve always wondered it that’s actually a fossilized slab of 東坡肉.

Thanks for your reply!! I feel like not a lot of people know about 魚酥羹too

1 Like