Swensen's is back!?!

An ad for them just popped up on my FB. Their new location that opened a year ago is 1, 317, Section 1, Fuxing S Rd, 仁慈里, Da’an District, Taipei City, TW.

I remember going to the one in Tienmu decades ago.

Has anyone been to this one?
How is their food and desserts?

https://inline.app/booking/-M_TEEZpEY0ftgFF7EE4:inline-live-2/-NaoiO9Z0ektgYgUVTer?fbclid=IwAR2T4sWhFWxEbsYsGbD0ssWYjGQdP6I-0HSXhNlOSbMXAQ0tf800lbfCCgU_aem_AUdzy76BMLIg0CwLi_c_cXAkDa1GtAeOJ49SecVN0JlLH_S6FAlGhZz2zU7UnqhTCKrylkMtz_XpGluwZTNOTIWE

1 Like

I wouldn’t say “back”, as they’ve been on a top floor of a building that has a McDonalds on the ground floor and a Ruth’s Chris on another floor at the Minsheng - Dunhua intersection this whole time. They’re awful. The burgers only come excessively well-done or you can get like three fried fish sticks for $250 with some tartar sauce that was absolutely straight from a 5 gallon tub from Sysco. The ice cream is mildly acceptable, I guess, but I would never plan to eat food there again.

5 Likes

good to know

I remember eating at the one in Shilin decades ago.

Remember thinking it was like carnie food, but worse.

1 Like

There’s one in Songshan. Nice window seats looking over Minsheng Dunhua intersection. It is well run. Obviously the whole place is run from a dusty franchise instruction manual they got 40 years ago and has never changed, but if you like this old school sort of thing, it is quite good, in my opinion.

[Edit I see @nz beat me to it above, different takes, same place]

That’s the one I just mentioned. I haven’t been there in a few years, but even between the time I went there in maybe 2016 and the time I went there in maybe 2021(?) the quality had gone wwaaayyyy down. The ~ 2016 time was “I guess this is the price I pay for mildly bad American franchise food that has the chance to be awful in the US too” and the second time (when I ordered fish sticks), I was thinking about how I could buy half a bag of frozen fish sticks from Costco for the same price and prepare them in a much more tasty way…

I had breaky there, standard issue Taiwan toast bread, scrambled eggs, grilled tomato, something else unmemorable, coffee. Another time I had oatmeal porridge, with some toast and jam on the side. It’s not avant garde stuff, but honest, I sort of respect them for holding out and keeping at it. Are there places like this left in San Francisco does anyone know?

I thought they had gone too. They used to be next door to that building on ground floor and when I did not see them I thought they had gone for good.