Swimming Caps in Pools

Yup they should institute that law in taiwan, along with the use of c cup bikini? haa

may as well all swim in the raw

If swim caps are that necessary and lost hair is that problematic, why don’t North American public pools have problems with clogging despite caps not being mandatory in most places? I ask that rhetorically, not expecting a definitive answer.

I don’t like the rule about swim caps, but I put up with it because I don’t get to make the rules and it’s not difficult to do. Otherwise I wouldn’t go and I’d tell them to get stuffed.

I wasn’t referring to kids and Korean pools. The dumb rule applied to everybody.

They’re also known as dork shorts and male burqas and are descended from jorts. I would no sooner wear those while swimming than I would wear overalls while walking down the street.

Speedos look good on guys with trim, muscular bodies. I’m not one of those guys, and I prefer to wear beach trunks. Why they would not be allowed in a pool or hot spring is beyond me: they’ve certainly been acceptable all my life everywhere I’ve swum outside of Taiwan.

My complaint is that the rule makes no sense. I happen to be one of those pesky people who believes that all rules need to have sound reasoning behind them.

What if I don’t plan to swim 2000 meters? When I go to a pool, it’s usually just to have fun.

No, it’s the pool water that chills us down.

Well, I’ve never worn a swimming cap anywhere outside of Taiwan.
Oh, you can wear them back home if you don’t want to wash your hair, but that’s kinda nasty…
And I’m with you on the bit where rules have to make sense, as otherwise they’re generally stupid rules that should never have been thought up to start with.

So why the bullshit about Speedos? Has anyone actually asked the powers-that-be why they have this nonsensical rule. No matter how inane or incomprehendable, there must be a REASON.

Perhaps the powers-that-be want to ogle the guys’ packages?

[quote=“Chris”]
Perhaps the powers-that-be want to ogle the guys’ packages?[/quote]
That’s why I don’t use public pools. I have a tiny winkie.

There are plenty of rules in Taiwan that don’t make much sense. Also, enforcement of such rules varies widely.

Running a Red Light = Perfectly Normal (Do this as much as you can)

No Helmet Family of 4 + Dog on Scooter = Reasonable (Saving the Environment via Carpool)

Swimming with no cap = Grave Sin (Lose your ARC if caught)

Perhaps the powers-that-be want to ogle the guys’ packages?[/quote]
That’s the only reasonable assumption to make. Dirty cock-watching perverts. That’s another reason why I don’t use public pee-pools.

I think that few valid rules applied consistantly would be better. Some of the rules are not even rules, but social-conditioning, like the swimming hat and shorts, teachers at schools enforced these rules as many uniform rules were enforced because of social harmony and mono-culturalism ideal, ie, 100 kids all looking the same must be control and that looks good

Therefore, the students grow up and become lifeguards and think this rule has a reason because you cant question your teacher so they continue the enforcement of the rule.

[quote=“kaiwen338”]There are plenty of rules in Taiwan that don’t make much sense. Also, enforcement of such rules varies widely.

Running a Red Light = Perfectly Normal (Do this as much as you can)

No Helmet Family of 4 + Dog on Scooter = Reasonable (Saving the Environment via Carpool)

Swimming with no cap = Grave Sin (Lose your ARC if caught)[/quote]

I therefore think that a few valid rules reliably enforced would be much more preferal and realistic and would allow other to know what to expect.

The swimming pool rules are justdumb, if I want to swim lengths give me the freedom of choice of putting on speedos or the “lycra shorts” they have here and swimming hat if my hair is long, but if I dont have my head in water and just chillaxing, dont force me to discomfort myself just to jump in and splash about. personally, I find hats uncomfortable because I swum at regional club level and never needed one - just not my habit and I did swim 1000m the other day with boardies on (cant find shorts I like, I dont wanna wear speedos because im not swimming competatively) and lifeguard told me I swim like a fish and better than he, then told my wife I am not allowed to wear boardies because I might drown?!?!

It’s a silly and unnecessary requirement, especially for me, since I always swim with my head up in pools (I absolutely do not want to get that chemical-laced mixture of piss, snot, and other viral nasties on my face or head!) and seldom get my hair wet at all (as long as I can keep out of the way of those idiots who flail about and splash water in all directions when swimming).

But I always obediently don my cap, much as I dislike it, and never argue about it with pool staff or attendants, since I know that doing so would almost certainly be futile and would only serve to put their backs up against an annoying foreigner wanting to come in and turn all their rules on their head just to suit his backward barbarian ways.

The only time I’ve swum capless here was when I was the only guest in a hotel, asked a staff member if I needed to wear a cap in the pool, and was assured that it was fine not to as long as there wasn’t anyone else in the pool.

For more than a decade and a half of my stay here (the good old days), I was able to exercise my passion for swimming in crystal-clear mountain streams nearly every day of the year, never needing to wear a cap (or anything else in the more secluded locations), and being able to dive and stick my head under the water without the slightest concern. In those happy days, I scoffed at the thought of ever swimming in a public pool in Taiwan, viewing such places with the utmost distaste. But unfortunately, my circumstances have changed, and now I have no choice but to swim in pools if I want to swim at all, so I just have to put up with these things as they are for now, and look forward to the day when I’ll again have daily access to wild swimming.

Swimming cap - wearing one doesn’t bother me.

Speedos - Unfashionably, I’ve got nothing against Speedos (though I’d not wear white ones, especially in Youth Park), but I do require that they don’t cut off the [color=#BF0000]blood[/color], and frankly I’ve not found any here that met that criterion, nor have I remembered to buy any on visits to the UK.

Shorts - When quizzed by a lifeguard about the worthiness of my loose shorts for swimming, the first time I explained that they are double-layered, which is true - the shorts have a loose mesh lining. The second time I said I’d already discussed this with his colleague, that I was [color=#008000]bored [/color]with the subject and suggested he ask his colleague about it. I was polite.

All clogged up - While the pool staff may be concerned about pube-clogged filters, I’m more concerned about shower cubicles clogged with people. I learnt to swim at Bristol University’s swimming pool, where the male changing rooms are open plan, with a [color=#FFBFBF]communal shower room[/color] - an inspired and efficient design. At my local pool (Bojia, Wenshan District), most people both shower and change in the showers, leading to queues for the showers at peak times. I shower then change outside the shower cubicle, still within the male changing room I hasten to add. Some may argue that this is culturally insensitive of me, but that’s a whole different topic for discussion…

I feel that wearing the cap dulls the sensations.

I guess swimming pools are a whole new fashion thing and it would be silly to miss a Hello Kitty opportunity. The real reason, of course, is that swimming pool pumps can be surprisingly costly to run and to save money the pump (and therefore the filtering system) is set to its lowest point.

Obviously swimming pools have been run in a clean and efficient way in The World for hundreds of years without the need for swimming caps, but anyway…

There is something deeply deeply wrong with men wearing swimming caps unless they are long-haired and actually competing in a race.

My beard provides a conundrum.

-sf :grandpa:

also, a bunch of my hairy foreigner friends have more back/leg/chest hair than head hair, thats where i come from on consistency, either everyone wears swimming burqas or let people be free

I have more body hair than head hair. should I wear a wet suit?

No, a condom…

[quote=“highwave”]Swimming cap - wearing one doesn’t bother me.

Speedos - Unfashionably, I’ve got nothing against Speedos (though I’d not wear white ones, especially in Youth Park), but I do require that they don’t cut off the [color=#BF0000]blood[/color], and frankly I’ve not found any here that met that criterion, nor have I remembered to buy any on visits to the UK.

Shorts - When quizzed by a lifeguard about the worthiness of my loose shorts for swimming, the first time I explained that they are double-layered, which is true - the shorts have a loose mesh lining. The second time I said I’d already discussed this with his colleague, that I was [color=#008000]bored [/color]with the subject and suggested he ask his colleague about it. I was polite.

All clogged up - While the pool staff may be concerned about pube-clogged filters, I’m more concerned about shower cubicles clogged with people. I learnt to swim at Bristol University’s swimming pool, where the male changing rooms are open plan, with a [color=#FFBFBF]communal shower room[/color] - an inspired and efficient design. At my local pool (Bojia, Wenshan District), most people both shower and change in the showers, leading to queues for the showers at peak times. I shower then change outside the shower cubicle, still within the male changing room I hasten to add. Some may argue that this is culturally insensitive of me, but that’s a whole different topic for discussion…[/quote]

I went to that Youth Park pool a couple of times and I must have been the ‘only straight in the village’.

Swimming cap usage was surprising at first, but you get used to it.

I can’t wear speedos as they look way too camp to me.
Where I come from you don’t wear speedos. The stick I would get from friends would be endless if I turned up in a pair of them.
And I have the muscular well defined physique that is able to wear them and get away with it.
So it’s beach shorts (not those long ones) for me if I hit the pool.

And I like the Showers in Taiwan. I would rather be alone in my own cubicle as there are way too many perverted f.ukers around.
But I know some people who have had men try and join them in a cubicle!

Speaking of perverts, outside the Youth Park pool there was a 30 something well dressed man sitting on a bench playing with his cock out the top of his shorts.
Quite disgusting actually.
There were kids around.
If I was back in the UK I would have done something about it.
If I had kids with me he would have been picking up his teeth with broken fingers.
Pure scum bag.

[quote=“european”]

Speaking of perverts, outside the Youth Park pool there was a 30 something well dressed man sitting on a bench playing with his cock out the top of his shorts.
Quite disgusting actually.
There were kids around.
If I was back in the UK I would have done something about it.
If I had kids with me he would have been picking up his teeth with broken fingers.
Pure scum bag.[/quote]
Shit! That was me! I saw you looking in my direction and winked, but you paid no attention. You were probably thinking about how lucky I was that there were no “kids around” and what :blah: you were going to post about what a tough guy you are. Dammit, just typing this makes me want to whip it out and whack it in remembrance of your sexy little affronted face. :heart: