Swimming pool in Taipei?

Hi,

I’m about to move to Taipei in 2-3 months, wanted to check the area for facilities that i need, sports is one of them :slight_smile:

I’m considering living near my office at Dunhua north, Are there any good swimming pools (maybe as well as sports/gym facility) around this area? if not, others that are close by?

thanks!

City sports center…there’s several branches dispersed around Taipei.

Yup, the Songshan Sports Center (website pretty much only in Chinese) is on Dunhua N Rd, beside the Taipei Stadium. I go swimming there occasionally. It’s quite inexpensive and pretty clean. Good hours too. Be forewarned if you’re into diving though - swimming pools in Taiwan are shallow… like, the deep end is less than 6 feet deep kind of shallow. I haven’t used the gym there yet, but there is one on site. Good luck with your move!

Yeah the community centers are probably your best bet. They are usually about 50NT per hour and the pools are reasonably clean.

I will warn you though, Taiwanese people swim much like they drive. In any lane, at any time, at any speed, and don’t care one bit about letting people in. If there are more then 8 people in the pool, there will be 1 person in each lane that is most likely a lot slower than you, swimming in the middle of the lane :unamused:

Zhong Zheng Sports Center is my favorite pool. 50m, not 25m. Lanes for people that don’t stop every lap.

I noticed that Youth Park’s outdoor pools are all closed. They said maybe in June or July they will be open again. It ‘depends on the government’.
What imbecile in government decides to close the pools (which are closed in winter) during the summer?

Also the Gongguan Pool (not the kids one near the bridge), is also closed. It looked like renovations were taking place.
Another mess - couldn’t they do it in winter?

Any nice outdoor pools in Taipei?

[quote=“cake”]I noticed that Youth Park’s outdoor pools are all closed. They said maybe in June or July they will be open again. It ‘depends on the government’.
What imbecile in government decides to close the pools (which are closed in winter) during the summer?

Also the Gongguan Pool (not the kids one near the bridge), is also closed. It looked like renovations were taking place.

Any nice outdoor pools in Taipei?[/quote]

Outdoor pools do not open (except certain designated year round pools) until Dragonboat Festival. Its too cold before that date :loco: .

I went to Youth Park in previous years before The dragon boat festival and it was open.
I took a look there today and all the outdoor pools are closed. The main still has water and is probably being used for courses at night I would guess.
The diving pool and kids pool have no water. Weeds are growing on the ground nearby.

Looks like some idiots in local government are heading pool operations to me.

[quote=“cake”]I noticed that Youth Park’s outdoor pools are all closed. They said maybe in June or July they will be open again. It ‘depends on the government’.

Any nice outdoor pools in Taipei?[/quote]

Does anybody know if the Youth Park outdoor pool is still closed?

Youth Park outdoor pool is open again. It reopened on the 1st of July.
Now they have have an outdoor company running the pools, which was probably why they were closed during last month. But the same people work there as before.
It is currently 50Nt for full use of all the pools until Sunday 7th. No idea what the price will be after that.

this topic is a bit old, but does anyone know of a pool where I can swim at a decent pace without running into people?

there is only one place that I have ever found, which is the long course pool at taipei arena, but its only open in the morning from 6-8am which is often too early, especially if I wanna get at least 1hr in.

only other one I have actually tried is the one at “jj sports center,” which was more like a spa temperature.

Go to the Da An sport centre pool. It’s 50m open til 10 pm every night. It has a lot of lanes and one just for fast swimmers. It’s clean and costs 120 ntd for as long as you like. Only downside is that it’s not all that deep, the deep end is something like 160 or 170.

academica sinica south of the nangang exhibition center is good. not too crowded but not conveniently located. discount on wednesdays. open till 9pm or 10pm I think.

Where are the places in and around Taipei with 50m pools?

Dr Jellyfish mentioned the Da’an Sports Center (is this one of those Taipei government places?). I know the Songshan sports stadium pool has a 50m section, but the times are limited (early morning after after work times). I also know of a place in Chidu (past Xizhi): younglohas.com.tw/facilities.html This one in Chidu is outdoors and unheated. A great place for kids in the summer (cool slides and a swinging rope that kids love), but a bit cold at any other time.

Are there any other places?

[quote=“marasan”]Where are the places in and around Taipei with 50m pools?

Dr Jellyfish mentioned the Da’an Sports Center (is this one of those Taipei government places?). I know the Songshan sports stadium pool has a 50m section, but the times are limited (early morning after after work times). I also know of a place in Chidu (past Xizhi): younglohas.com.tw/facilities.html This one in Chidu is outdoors and unheated. A great place for kids in the summer (cool slides and a swinging rope that kids love), but a bit cold at any other time.

Are there any other places?[/quote]

So I guess we can now add the Dahu Park swimming pool to the list.