Switching Visas in Taiwan during COVID.. help

Hi all,

I’m currently on a work-holiday visa intill August. Am I allowed to switch this visa to a student/work visa come August IN Taiwan? Or do I need to leave then come back in? Given the closed borders, does this mean I just need to go back home in till Taiwan opens borders again? Seems a bit silly as I’ve been here for months.

Thank you.

You should go in and talk to immigration.

1 Like

Have you tried talking to immigration?

Ill go do that and report back, so to help others in similar situations.

3 Likes

Student visas are only good if you enter with that purpose, work maybe an option

yeah so as expected, one must LEAVE Taiwan, and cannot change the VISA type while in Taiwan. She did say something about not getting a record if overstaying, only a fine… anyone know more?

https://www.immigration.gov.tw/5475/5478/6928/146024/

@buyit looks like no overstaying for you…

Does anyone have any more info on this? I went into immigration today and asked about extending my working holiday visa. They said it wasn’t possible but if I got a work permit and employment certificate from my next employer they would be able to extend my stay. I also asked about moving onto a student visa and they said they didn’t have any advice or information about that and I would have to speak to the “visa people,” and I’m not quite sure who these are!

There’s not actually a thing called a “student visa” is there?

The visa people are foreign affairs (bureau of consular affairs). Immigration doesn’t issue visas.

Thank you! I’ll see if I can give them a call today. :slight_smile:

Pick a number asap if busy then you can go hangout outside or wherever. At times the wait can be 1-2 hours

This article was released on July 26th:

Once a foreign national holds a visitor’s or resident visa for the purpose of Mandarin language study, academic exchanges, joining family members or employment, the holder can apply within Taiwan for a student visa for degree programs, MOFA spokeswoman Joanne Ou (歐江安) said in a statement.

Looks like the government is also acknowledging that it also “seems silly” to do a visa run.