Switzerland votes to make same-sex marriage legal by near two-thirds majority

Good day for human rights!

8 Likes

Huh? Only now? I thought they would have legalized it over a decade ago….

1 Like

Good for Switzerland! Since marriage is a social contract, referendum is the way to decide.

Maybe they didn’t want to take a side in the pro-/anti-same-sex debate?

Switzerland is pretty conservative. They only gave the vote to women in 1971; one canton forbade women voting on local issues and had to be overruled by the Swiss Supreme Court… in 1991.

5 Likes

It’s quite embarrassing to legalise it so late.

5 Likes

no need for embarrassment, not everyone is as open-minded as canadians :wink:

but they get there eventually…

2 Likes

Actually yes. Switzerland is incredibly rich and has a tolerant drug policy and allows assisted suicide. To legalise gay marriage later than all its peers is a disgrace.

2 Likes

For a European country, certainly. For an African or Asian country, a cause for celebration. I’m surprised Japan and Thailand haven’t legalized it yet.

1 Like

Why? Japan is conservative af and Thailand is fake tolerant. The only country that might legalise gay marriage in Asia after Taiwan in the foreseeable future is no country.

1 Like

I think Korea might be next.

Seriously? You think homophobia central might be next? Unless by “next” you mean in 2060 then sure.

South Korea is probably most like Taiwan. It probably won’t happen by legislative action, but by court action. South Korea’s democracy is far more competitive than Japan’s.

1 Like

I doubt it.

Someone isn’t keeping up with the news in Japan. Isn’t this how same-sex marriage first became legal in Taiwan?

As for Thailand, they have their thriving transsexual culture which seems like it has pretty widespread acceptance there. I think a man can legally marry a male-to-female transsexual, as long as the change in gender identity is reflected in their ID for example. So it’s not much of a leap imo.

No. Japan doesn’t have constitutional review like some other countries do. That was a district court ruling and the decision is only binding to the parties.

And that link is wrong. Japan is not the only G7 without SSM. Italy also hasn’t legalised SSM

Transsexual is not the same as homosexual.

Let me take this opportunity to endorse The Divine Order once again. :slight_smile:

It would be a huge leap for them. It’s a very conservative culture in the sense that people are expected to stay in their places. Kathoeys traditionally have their own place, so they’re not generally perceived as a threat to social order. Innovation is something else.

Also, the country hasn’t been democratic-in-the-western-sense since 2014.

Can’t you ever be happy :laughing: better late than never, no?

3 Likes