Taian in Miaoli County

Let’s give Taian its own thread. Finally went there yesterday. Some good info and a reasonable sketch map in the 2004 Lonely Planet, so here some more info;

[quote=“Mucha (Muzha) Man”]In Taian in Miaoli county they were building free outdoor hotspring facilities down by the river but I don’t know if they ever finished them. In any case, I like the facilities at the Sunrise. Big open deck with various pools overlooking a lush valley. Around NT350 for unlimited use. Lots of good hiking in this area too.[/quote]Don’t know whether you’ve been there since Typhoon Mindulle, but the riverside area from the end of the no.62 road and further up into the valley is a bit of a mess. Tried to do the Shuiyun waterfall walk as in the Lonely Planet. From the car park, we walked beside the river – we had to go through what looked like a construction site.

We passed the free hot springs – they consist of some plastic pipes coming down the hill bearing hot spring water, and some plastic sheeting draped over heaps of stones to make makeshift bath shapes big enough for one person each. There were some shower tents but I think they’d been brought by the families who were camping there. Actually the families seemed to have commandeered the facilities and though we walked by with friendly faces, did not say hi or invite us to join them or anything like that.

It’s a little tricky following the river up and while it’s safe now with the low water levels I wouldn’t like to do it later in the year. The suspension bridge is still intact and the little stretch through the forest is as described in the LP, but both after this section you’re just walking up a big flood plain of stones and gravel. You may have to cross the river at points – again doable now but not wise when the river’s higher. Later on you have to clamber over some boulders and uprooted trees. We walked up from the forest stretch about fifty minutes more but didn’t see the waterfall. There was a big family up ahead of us so don’t know if they reached it. We didn’t have torches and wanted to get back before dark.

Re. the Sunrise (Riqu) Hotel’s hot springs facilities:
The pools, water jets etc are nice, seemed clean and there were nice views. The price includes drinking water and use of a towel. The changing/shower cubicles are few and small, however. The lockers for valuables are also small. The staff may or may not deign to inform you, but there are shoe racks and also cubbyholes for your stuff once you walk outside into the pool area, so if you’re the trusting type you may want to put your valuables in a locker and your clothes, backpack and shoes outside instead of cramming them all into a tiny locker like I did. The Sunrise is a nice, clean place. If you get out first and decide to wait in the cafe you don’t have to buy a 150NT pot of tea; you can get a can of Coke for 33NT.

Another thing worth mentioning about the Taian area is the “Old Doufu Street” (it’s the street that’s old; the doufu, though mildy stinky, is fine). It’s on the 62, not far from the turnoff from the 3 – maybe 5km max. If you can’t find it then ask a local, but we had no problem finding it as the more direct road was curiously blocked at both ends (though locals just drove round the barriers), forcing us to go down the Doufu Street. We went to a decent little restaurant on the left as you go down the street, just across from the little side street. It doesn’t look like much from the front but you go through the kitchen, round the back and up some stairs and you’re in a very nice decked terrace area with a bar. Good food and good service. (You can order your food upstairs in the cafe). I think though I’m not sure that this is the Mountain Legend Cafe (Shanzhong Chuanqi) in Qing’an village mentioned by Mucha Man;

[quote=“Mucha (Muzha) Man”]The cafe (there is a restaurant downstairs, order off this menu) sits atop a giant rounded boulder that supposedly has the best fengshui in the area. The food is fabulous. The restaurant has been around for 3 generations and serves the best chicken with orange sauce, fried tofu and salty eggs and bitter melon.

The owner, a Mr. Peng, is super nice and very chatty. [/quote]

Glad you finally got out there Joe. Yes, the place you ate at sounds like it was the Mountain Legend cafe. The view from the cafe is really nice in April when all the Yutong trees are blooming on the mountainsides.

You should be able to access the cafe right from #62 though from the way you described your route in, it sounds like the road goes right through Qingan Village now instead of around it.

Yes, the Doufu street has a lot of great snacks on it. Lots of Hakka in the area so you can buy tasty sticky rice snacks and lei cha, too.

God, the river sounds like it was really messed up by typhoon Mindulle. And the free hot spring area sounds weird. More like a squatters camp now. Last time I was there (in April) they were building changing rooms and cement tubs by the river. they had also built a lot of reinforcements along the river. No plastic pipes though it did look a bit like a construction site in a few places until you got closer to the bridge.

I didn’t write about it the LP but the owner of the Riverside Restaurant (9 on the map) was planning to open sand hot springing facilities. In these you would be half buried in sand from hot springs and placed in a steam room I think. It’s popular in Japan. Don’t know if he succeeded but it would be interesting to try if he did.

I wonder how much more development there is there now. The place had changed even in the six months that I was going there. I wonder how the hotel they were building across from the Cai Ju B&B fared. I hope it collapsed. The aboriginal family at the cai Ju had a nice little place going with a simple deck hanging over the river where you could enjoy coffee in the morning. Then someone with money started to build directly across the river from them. Now, the poor family’s cafe view is spoiled and the construction noise I’m sure drives customers away. They do sell good lunchboxes there ands had a little convenience store set up last time I was there.

In addition to the Sunrise and the Tenglong Resorts and King’s Spa there is also the Hushan Resort . This is situated right in the middle of the river and you need to walk across a suspension bridge to get to it. I didn’t mention it in the LP becasue they wouldn’t let me examien their facilities, but just gave me their brochure. But it is a new looking place and has its own direct link to the Hushan hot spring (there are three hot spring sources in the Taian area).

If I remember right the turn off to the Hushan Resort (turn left) is a little ways past Qingan Village. You go down a long driveway, park in a lot, and cross over on the suspension bridge.

By the way, that little loop on the map above the King Spa has some really spectacular scenic points. It’s amazing how you go up the steep road past the King’s Spa and suddenly find youself on a bluff surrounded by distant green craggy mountains. The environmental ambience so suddenly changes you expect harp strings to sound. I’m not kidding.

And do drive up to the Henglong Historical Trail. Again, the mountain views from the road are gorgeous. Best in the area.

Last point, so far fall has offered the best scenery though I bet late spring and early summer will be good too. This time of year a lot of plants have withered, the leaves have fallen, and there isn’t as much lushness as other times.

The changing rooms are now broken concrete walls at odd angles. There are no reinforcements by the river, just a wide flat area of stones, gravel and the tops of some trees forlorningly poking out.

Re. the free hot springs I think if you went on a weekday you might have the place to yourself. But better take some big plastic sheets in case the other ones aren’t there. Not really a romantic place there now though. Nicer at a resort/hotel.

[quote=“Mucha (Muzha) Man”]In addition to the Sunrise and the Tenglong Resorts and King’s Spa there is also the Hushan Resort … I didn’t mention it in the LP becasue they wouldn’t let me examien their facilities, but just gave me their brochure.[/quote]Wonder if they realise how many potential customers they lost through their lack of co-operation.

[quote=“Mucha (Muzha) Man”]By the way, that little loop on the map above the King Spa has some really spectacular scenic points. It’s amazing how you go up the steep road past the King’s Spa and suddenly find youself on a bluff surrounded by distant green craggy mountains. The environmental ambience so suddenly changes you expect harp strings to sound. I’m not kidding.

And do drive up to the Henglong Historical Trail. Again, the mountain views from the road are gorgeous. Best in the area.[/quote]Cheers, will do these next time.

Went to Taian today on the way back from a funeral. Wow! I couldn’t believe two things: one, how much damage Typhoon Mindulle had done and two, how gorgeous the place is in late spring.

The damage: my god the river around Tenglong resort is a mess. Huge slide areas, massive boulders strewn helter skelter, primitive ruggedness everywhere.

How about that section of the road where they have nets hanging over the road itself? They were as full as dirty diapers today. Scary!

I took a short walk along the river at the end of 62. There were no tarps or pipes leaking hot spring water. Just a wide fairly clear dirt road built up 3 metres or so from the river bed. The old cement changing rooms were still there in the same state of undevelopment as I first beheld them 1.5 years ago. The old barriers and riverside reinforcements, however, were all gone. Yes, that typhoon took everything with it.

I talked to the guys at the tenglong resort and they said the walk to the waterfall is 1.5 hours one-way. No wonder no one can ever find it. I was told 1.5 hours return.

The beauty: I was struck by the drama of the fast rising peaks as I stood by the riverside at the tenglong resort, and by a general lushness I had not seen before. Every stretch of the road seemed to impress me today, which is has not in the past. Having seen the place in three seasons, I believe spring is the time to go.

We ate at the Mountain Legend again. Very good though I would not rave about it as I have in the past. It seems that grandma does not do as much cooking as before. Daughter-in-law is good, but she is no grandma, alas. Still, the food is very fresh and tasty and made with obvious concern for quality. One thing that impresses me is that they only use ingredients in season. We could not get bitter melon today nor orange sauce with our chicken. We did however get very fresh bamboo.

We walked along the “old dofu street” and bought a number of tasty hakka snack foods. We tried the black fried stinky tofu and found it very good (and I do not like stinky tofu as a rule).

In this thread I write about the campsite at the Tenglong resort:
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 409#348409

By accident we stumbled upon a new resort that is being built up against a fabulously scenic mountainside. The work seems to be using all dark wood. Very attractive. The workers said the place won’t be finished for a year or so but I wouldn’t be surprised if they open a restaurant and a few bungalows sooner. If the place ends up as attractive as it looks now it wil make for a fabulous romantic getaway. Or camping trip as it seems they will build a campsite further up the mountain.

In short, I love this place even more. There is a little more development than when I first visited the place 1.5 years ago, but not so much to make me worry the place will ever become another Wulai.

On a side note, the Syuejian section of Sheiba National Park has not opened and will not for at least another year. The 40km Beigang River Historic Trail remains just a dream for now.

It seems as if Guanwu Forest Recreation area is also closed.

Been in Taiwan a while, but never been here. [color=blue]Looking to go this weekend. [/color]One notch up from squalid will usually do me, but with a 3-month-old in tow, I’m looking for a little more, and would like to book ahead. From what I’ve read, Hotel Teng Long doesn’t sound suitable. Any suggestions as to which resort would fit the bill? Looking at up to NT$3,000 a night.

Hotel Chinshui (four star): phone: 886 (37) 941-811.
Sunrise Resort
Hushan Resort
King’s Spa

Don’t have a car, so plan to go by train. And I plan to get there on Friday night to avoid the Saturday morning traffic heading uphill. Wondering about the cost of taxi all the way to Taian from Miaoli?

I know this might not be the best time to go, but I’m guessing that at least the air will be fresher and cooler than Taipei’s, even if wet.

All suggestions gratefully accepted.

[quote=“highwave”]Been in Taiwan a while, but never been here. [color=blue]Looking to go this weekend. [/color]One notch up from squalid will usually do me, but with a 3-month-old in tow, I’m looking for a little more, and would like to book ahead. From what I’ve read, Hotel Teng Long doesn’t sound suitable. Any suggestions as to which resort would fit the bill? Looking at up to NT$3,000 a night.

Hotel Chinshui (four star): phone: 886 (37) 941-811.
Sunrise Resort
Hushan Resort
King’s Spa

Don’t have a car, so plan to go by train. And I plan to get there on Friday night to avoid the Saturday morning traffic heading uphill. Wondering about the cost of taxi all the way to Taian from Miaoli?

I know this might not be the best time to go, but I’m guessing that at least the air will be fresher and cooler than Taipei’s, even if wet.

All suggestions gratefully accepted.[/quote]

Good luck getting a room in those places for NT3000 a night on the weekend. You may be able to bargain as it’s summer and probably low season but only the Tenglong is within your price range. Or a local B&B if any have survived. I stayed in the Tenglong one night and it was fine. It’s a big place with lots of wood cabins in addition to the campground. Almost quaint really and they have organized river tracing, hiking, absailing. Rooms had some bugs in them but that’s inevitable in the mountains in a wood cabin.

The Sunrise is really nice, though I have heard that the bigger family rooms are getting worn. If the Kings Spa is cheaper go with it. It’s also nice and central.

The Hushan is nice but too far away from the village area. It’s sort of out there (literally as it’s in the middle of the streambed) on it’s own.

I imagine a taxi from Miaoli will cost a bundle. Just from Dahu, where the bus drops you off, into Taian will cost NT300.

Hotel Chinshui, I think that’s the one up near the start of the road into Taian, near the Syueba National Park headquarters. Nice spas, and grounds, but without a car you’d have nothing to do up there but hang out in the National Park picnic grounds (nice, but) or watch the strawberry growers ply their trade.

Thanks Mucha Man. Looks like I’m going to save Taian for another time, and go to a hot spring hotel closer to home: Peitou.

The girls at our office have booked a Hot Spa place in Taian area as a warm-up to our Weia-party, and as they have booked it, they think it is great.

The place is called Taihu or something similar:

http://www.dahu.com.tw/taihu/

Anyone got any experience with this place, and what to be expected?
The pictures on the web-site looks OK, but what is the reality?

Taian was in the news a few weeks ago as the new place to hot spring. Shit. Before that very few Taiwanese had even heard of the area. Now it’s becoming office party material? Shit.

I don’t know the place. Or maybe I do. But I can’t see any map to tell me exactly where it is. Anyway, all the hot springs out that way are nice and in general it is a very pleasant area. Imagine Wulai with only a few hotels and you have an idea of what it is like there.

You should get your co-workers to go to the Mountain Legend Cafe mentioned in Lonely Planet (and above). Great Hakka food. It’s in the little village, Qing Shui, shown with the old street.

Thanks a lot. I will suggest that to them - they love everthing that have to do with eating, and I think at least one have some Hakka “blood” in her.

Hi,

I was in Taian yesterday. The restaurant probably won’t be open during the week if that’s when you are going. Also it’s not on the street on the website. But on county road 62 which is probably a 20 minutes ride from the hot spring in Dahu. I can give you directions of you wish.

BTW, in Taian there is a new sand hot spring place where they bury you in sand in sand that comes from the hot spring area. Supposed to be great for your skin. The girls in your group may be interested.

BTW, this is a great time to visit the area. Looks like Canada in the fall with all the colors on the mountains. Yes, there are even maple trees up there with red leaves firing up the slopes. Very beautiful and such a contrast to anything in the north.

Thank you again. I will try to look up the general area on a map, and ask if there is any details I need more information about.

Went back to Taian on Friday for a couple days. Though a few new large hot spring hotels have opened the place is more or less the same. I did bring a camera but forgot the cf card.

Since the faulty weather bureau suggested it would rain Friday night I opted to stay in a small B&B style place. It was right beside the river, two story wood design, with small room with balconys. The views were very nice of the small river, and the looming hills across the river. There was even a waterfall cascading down a cleft in the slopes I could see from my balcony.

Room cost me $1450 for the night and this included use of the hotsprings as many times as I wanted. Simple facilities, just small private rooms with big cement tubs lined with small stones, but they face the river and have big open windows. Really, for a great view and hot springs you can’t beat the price, though I suspect it probably gets noisy on busy Saturdays as their hot sand facilities are popular with tours. Phone: 037 941928.

This would be a good place to stay for someone not looking to spend $6000 a night, but didn’t want to camp. To get here, take County Road 62 as far as Onsen Papawaqa (a huge new complex to the left about 15 minutes in), then cross the bridge. The B&B is just to the right, 100m. There’s a nice restaurant/cafe on the other side of the bridge. Decent food, good music usually (not mandopop), and a lovely atmosphere.

The river is too shallow to swim in front of the B&B, but there is a new dirt road in front that follows the river. Actually this dirt road start at Provincial Hwy 3, where County Road 62 branches off, and runs all the way to the suspension bridge past the Policeman’s Hot Spring Club. The path should be about 15km long, making it a nice bike route. There are a few places it is washed out, but the carry is easy. The washouts also mean you won’t be sharing the road with vehicles. Next time I go (which should be a couple weeks) I’ll bring my bike and let people know how the biking is.

Saturday morning I drove to the end of 62. They have finally fixed up the area. I suspect they are going to start charging people to enter and drive to the suspension bridge. New toll booth and picnic like area and a new dirt road, lined with shrubs and trees all the way to the suspension bridge. Not sure if they will build the free hot springs but I doubt it. Too much business pressure.

The way to Shuiyuan Waterfall is pretty clear now. Just cross the suspension bridge, and head up the stairs. At the top, head down to the river, following the signs. There’s now a new wooden staircase and walkway to take you down to the riverbed. From here the rough trail is pretty obvious. Follow about 30 minutes until you reach a big rock outcrop. There are two nice pools here and I had a very refreshing swim in them both. To go around the outcrop, stay to the left, away from the river.

In another couple minutes the valley narrows and a rock face sinks into the water. There’s a rough log ladder to help you up to where you can safely cross the face. But if you want to see the falls, just cross the stream (it was only up to my thighs yesterday) and you’ll see the 20m thundering beast up a small side canyon to the right. I know I had it to the left in the last Lonely Planet but well, that’s what I was told. :blush:

In any case, you will need river tracing shoes if you want to get right up to the falls. You don’t need river boots to hike along the trail as far as the waterfall.

After lunch I drove to the little abo village just up from Tenglong. There’s a new fancy hot spring resort there. Lovely lookout from the open deck cafe and from the public hot springs but the facilities were too simple: just a couple pools. The rooms were obviously designed for local Taiwanese tastes.

I drove up the road toward Henglong Shan (5.5km to the end) and stopped after 2km to walk the rest. It’s a super steep mountain road but a lovely walk through bamboo forests. The lookouts across the valley and over the hills is superb.

The last thing I did was check out the campsite mentioned in another thread above Tenglong. The road up now is in good shape for a car though I walked first. The campiste is a large grassy bluff set high in the hills. It’s incredibly scenic up here, with high mountains rising up, and a snaking river valley below. There was not a soul at the campsite but me.

A five minute walk down the hill you’ll find a decent swimming hole, and a further 10 minutes a really gorgeous one. The river (different from the one I went up earlier) rushes through a boulder strewn valley, making great noise and forming large pools everywhere. Looks great for tracing.

Just behind the campiste is the trail to the old tree and also to one of the nearby peaks, Niaozui Shan. Five minutes up the trail is a branch leading to a waterfall that tumbles a few hundred metres to river valley below.

It’s a great time to visit Taian as the flamegold trees as blooming wild in the hills. There are also purple lilies everywhere, orange day lilies, white daisies, and the wheat like luwei also blooming white. There are also very few people about as the hot spring season hasn’t really started.

If you are looking for a really fine place to soak, or stay the night, Cedarwood something, high on a bluff, near the end of the road looked very lovely (I had a tour). The taofang rooms (rent per hour) have one of the best views from a hot spring tub I have ever seen. The tubs are large stone basins, big enough for two western people, and are set right against clear glass windows about 2 metres wide and 2.5m high. In other words you have a complete unobstructed view across a gorgeous mountain valley as you soak. It’s $800-900 an hour for a soak. Bring someone you love, or want to love - long time. Rooms are around $7000 a night.

Damn, I took a brochure and namecard but now can’t find them.

Oh, there is another 5 star hotel at Taian that I didn’t get a chance to look at. Onsen Papawaqa. Here’s a good review, and yes, the writer is spot on that is looks unfinished when you drive by, and does blend in fairly well with the environemnt. A Taiwanese friend stayed there and gave it very good reviews. Rooms are about 20 ping in size.

I do have to give Taian credit for it’s new hotels. The new development is not crappy, tiled eyesores. Even Cedarwood, hill on a bluff, is obvious but inoffensive. I do think the County Magistrate is braindead though. All upscale hotels do is make Taipei based companies rich. They don’t really help the local economy except to give people waitering and front desk jobs.

That said, the abo-run place across from the hotel has turned from a poor B&B into a prosperous cafe and restaurant.

[quote]
Onsen Papawaqa hotel blends into surroundings
/ By Luke Sabatier ,Taiwan News

Former Miaoli County Magistrate Fu Hsueh-peng believed that the lack of upscale hotels was a major impediment to tourism growth in the area.
Whether he would have felt that the bold and ambitious (some might call it harebrained) Onsen Papawaqa in Taian fits the bill is anybody’s guess.

The project’s daring architect Cheng Tang-huang presented the hotel’s investors with a simple proposal: throw NT$450 million into an upscale 66-room hotel that’s going to look unfinished.

OK, so he may not have used those exact words, but they accurately - to a point - describe the end result. Some of the hotel’s inside walls in public spaces and its exterior are rough concrete, the way it appeared after the molds into which it was poured were tossed away. Add to that the thin slats of dark-colored hardwood suspended from one floor to another outside and you can very easily think as you approach the hotel that it’s still under construction.

“We have some architects and construction people who stay at the hotel who tell me they would never approve the rough wall surface, while other guests are simply dumbfounded,” said Jerry Kang, the hotel’s operations manager who is part of a management company that has been hired to run the hotel. “But it turns out to be an asset because it gives people something to talk about and brings us closer to our guests.”

The concept behind the design was simple: ensure that this upscale property would blend seamlessly with the surrounding natural landscape, including the grayish dry riverbed.

“The idea was not to influence the natural environment, to show humility and almost have the hotel hide itself. The architect really hates tiles and paint or anything manmade or that is too ostentatious,” Kang said.

But while the exterior is rough in its own compelling way, the rooms are a different story.

“The outside looks unfinished, but the rooms pay great attention to detail, with the generous use of glass to allow unobstructed views of nature,” Kang says.

Wood is also a critical element. Yang said that the hotel won a tender for a batch of rare Taiwan incense cedar that had become driftwood in a typhoon, and it’s used everywhere - on walls, as furniture and floors, and as the wooden tubs found in rooms.

While the architect understated the hotel’s exterior, the rooms, while simple, give the hotel a truly unique feel. Even the most elegant hotels pretty much maintain the same furnishings, layout and design theme in all their rooms - not the case at Onsen Papawaqa.

“No two rooms are identical. The 66 rooms come in 20 different styles, so you could stay here a lot of times and have a completely new experience,” Kang said.

The rooms on the first floor are situated too low to have views of the riverbed, but compensate nicely with private outdoor hot and cold hot spring tubs and an outdoor shower. Those located on higher floors have a variety of layouts, some with large bathroom areas and a tree growing in the room, while others have the hot spring tubs off in a side room, with a small Japanese table in the living room for tea or snacks. A delightful feature in many is the use of incense cedar as an uneven wall or ceiling.

“Much of the hotel is centered around straight lines, which the architect felt not very exciting. So in some rooms, he used the wood to create a different feel for space, reflecting the undulations of the areas’ mountains. The uneven ceilings and walls have made some of our older guests a little dizzy,” Kang said.

The question is simply can the most compelling hotel architecturally in the Taian area charging rates of NT$6,600 to NT$13,000 a night make it. Kang said it would have been easier if the hotel was larger, but price points are far less of a concern than building a reputation for good service, at a hotel that has only been open since early January on a “trial basis” until March 31.

If the service can match the facilities (once they’re completed), Onsen could still do well, even having invested an average of NT$8 million per room.

“People who appreciate interesting designs really like it. Those who don’t, well, there’s nothing we can say that will convince them,” Kang said. “Because of the design the building is hard to maintain, but it’s still worth it. Guests become curious, and once they see the rooms, they’re really satisfied.”[/quote]

I live in Miaoli I went to Taian often.
I like there .
I must buy a leicha in Tofu street.
There are some hotspring hotels have opened recently.
I don’t spend a night there though.
But hotpring and the view always make me feel peace and happy.
I enjoy it.
My English is not good ,forgive me that I can’t decribe it clearly.
But Taian is worth visiting,anyway.

I arrived a little after six - too bad we didn’t meet up. :frowning:

Did a short trace yesterday afternoon from the lower pools to the steep section below the end of the campsite. Fantastic!

Did you actually make it to the top of the waterfall? The branch at the end of bamboo seems to be more of a lookout than a trail. Guess I’ll have to have another peek the next time I’m up there.

Oh, what a shitty shame we missed.

Didn’t make it to the top of the waterfall.

Thank you for the informative post, MM. That road going past HengLongShan is certainly a steep one. I came down that way on a hike, and remember the fabulous views. Luckily I was on my way down, not up, and got a ride down to the village from some aboriginals on a fungus gathering trip.
The other view of this area worth remembering is on the road in the SyueJian Recreation Area. That is the gravel road above the Beikeng River Trail. At one point the road is right on the ridge and you can see down valley towards Taian and all the river headwater routes at an altitude point of 1,900 meters.

[quote=“Jah Lynnie”]Thank you for the informative post, MM. That road going past HengLongShan is certainly a steep one. I came down that way on a hike, and remember the fabulous views. Luckily I was on my way down, not up, and got a ride down to the village from some aboriginals on a fungus gathering trip.
The other view of this area worth remembering is on the road in the SyueJian Recreation Area. That is the gravel road above the Beikeng River Trail. At one point the road is right on the ridge and you can see down valley towards Taian and all the river headwater routes at an altitude point of 1,900 meters.[/quote]

So that is route you take after finishing the hike from Nanzhuang up to Jiali Shan and over to Taian? I thought it was but when I was looking at maps last time it looked like the trail ended up at Hushan. Thanks for clarifying this. How long is that hike, btw? I seem to recal you said about 10 hours before.

Funny I had originally planned to go to check out Syuejian, but got a late start leaving home and after checking at Sheipa National Park headquarters about the area it was past 4pm. Decided to leave it till the next day but then had so much fun in Taian I didn’t get there.

The park staff told me Syuejian is not officially opened though you can still drive there. The road sounds pretty cool, though I guess they are concerned that it is too narrow and are thinking about having shuttle buses take people in. I have to see this view you mentioned.

BTW, have you done the Beikeng River Trail? I had big hopes for it a few years ago. It was to be a 40km route, but too much typhoon damage from what I heard. The park’s guys said it’s pretty overgrown now.

There are two routes that go up to the ridge from the Taian area. One begins at the end of the road above HengLongShan. The trail head begins at a beautiful little spot where there is a viewing platform. There is no water sources anywhere as it’s a five or six hour hike eastwards along the ridge to ChiaLiShan at 2219 meters. From there it’s another four hours down to the trail head above LuChang village at the end of Road 21 heading east out of NanZhuang.

The second route uses the path to HuShan until at about 1,200 meters the path splits: left to HuShan and right onward and steeply upward to the ridge joining the abovementioned path two hours or so before the ChiaLiShan peak.

So, two different paths to the ridge, both would need 10 hours minimum solid hiking and would be more enjoyably done over two days bearing in mind the need to carry water for two days. Getting an early morning view from a strategic position up inna the heights is well worth the effort. This is quite a rugged area in almost every direction.

As far as I know the Beikeng River Trail has fallen into disuse after severe typhoon damage over the years.I'm not sure if there are any plans to revive it. Perhaps your Forestry and National Parks contacts, MM, would know. There are several paths that connect to the Beikung path from the Forestry Road running above and parallel with it. The first one coming up from Erbensong has a big sign saying No Entry due to landslide damage. A possible alternative route to the KwanWu area would be to hike to the BeiKungShan peak at 2,162 meters and stay on the ridge to the Radar Station at LehShan several kilometers to the north. There is a feeder road down to KwanWu from there. There isn't a path on this ridge on any map, but a survey team may have gone through there.