Taichung Freecycle

Looks like the Taipei Freecycle has a nice group of members at 290. I was wondering if you all in Taichung would like to also try to start one up. I know I’ve got books, movies, and other miscellaneous items that I will never use again. If so, let’s do it. I would be willing to step up as the moderator granted it doesn’t take up a substantial amount of my time. I’m going to contact the moderator to get more details. Hopefully this can become an organization that can grow as large as Taipei’s!

Post here if you’d also be interested in participating.

What’s Taipei Freecycle?

From freecycle.org:
The Freecycle Network™ is made up of many individual groups across the globe. It’s a grassroots and entirely nonprofit movement of people who are giving (& getting) stuff for free in their own towns. Each local group is moderated by a local volunteer (them’s good people). Membership is free. To sign up, find your community by clicking on the region on the left. You may then go directly to your local group by clicking on “Go To” or you may immediately joining by clicking on “Join.”

When you want to find a new home for something – whether it’s a chair, a fax machine, piano, or an old door – you simply send an e-mail offering it to members of the local Freecycle group.

Or, maybe you’re looking to acquire something yourself. Simply respond to a member’s offer, and you just might get it. After that, it’s up to the giver to decide who receives the gift and to set up a pickup time for passing on the treasure.

Our main rule: Everything posted must be free, legal, and appropriate for all ages.

No interested parties?

I don’t want a footrest and I don’t have either a bike or a washing machine. 290 people and that’s all there is – I signed up. There’s nothing else there. Sorry, not interested.

It took a bit of time, but I finally got approved to start a Taichung Freecycle branch. Here is the link:
groups.yahoo.com/group/TaichungFreecycle

If you don’t know about Freecycle, you can check out freecycle.org.

I’ve posted a few things and hope that this will get the ball rolling on signing up members. It’s really easy to sign up and you can receive notifications of postings by email, so you don’t have to go back to the site to see what’s listed.
Never gonna use that old cell phone anymore? How about the pile of books that you read years ago? If it’s trash to you, it could be useful to someone else. Post it and see if anyone has anything you might be interested in. Obviously this is a community driven group, so without the members or participation, it’s eventually going to just dwindle to nothing. I truly hope this can become an important organization here in Taichung.
So please forward the website address to anyone that might be interested (including Chinese coworkers and friends because I have a co-moderator that will be translating from English to Chinese and vice-versa). Thanks everyone!