Taichung still crime capital of Taiwan

taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2003388993

I never knew that. The year I spent there (1986) was pretty good I thought?

Funny stuff. I read this in this mornings Taiwan News…that Hu guy is a tool.

Hu defends Taichung’s high crime rate…Civic Pride~

"When asked by reporters about the apparent rampant crime in the city, Hu looked displeased and responded with a question of his own, asking, “Does this mean I have to make a comment every two or three months just because you want me to?”
No numbnuts…it means they want you to answer the question.

According to Hu, last year there were only 4,000 crime cases … that’s over 10 a day moron …

Yeah…and from what I’ve heard…thats only whats on the records. Hu runs what is known to be the ‘most bent’ city on Taiwan.
Its the home of organized crime on the island.

What are the majority of the crimes that happen?

It just mentions criminal cases, so assuming that represents all crimes it’s still a lot lower than the US and Australia, where property crime alone (without including motor vehicles) is in the 3-4000 per 100 000 range.

Maybe they’ve simply got a better police force! If you never catch a criminal then it won’t go on record, but that doesn’t mean there is no crime.

I thought that if one reports the crime then it gets on the record. If it only gets on the record when it’s solved then if you want a safe city don’t solve any crime and your city will have the lowest crime rate. Doesn’t sound right to me. I think it all depends on crimes reported not solved.

The police used to “eat” cases – simply accept a report but not file it, meaning it didn’t show up the in the stats. That’s why the police were forced to start a receipt system, in which they give you a slip proving that you filed a case. The crime stats are basically handed down from the top to the local police – as an anthropologist friend of mine who studies the police here put it wittily – “You have 15 motorcycle thefts this month, use them wisely!” Hence, the stats should be taken with a grain of salt.

Michael