Tainan forcibly removes homeowner and protesters

Final holdout in forced demolition of 340 properties over 10 years to make way for public transportation.

Wonder how the ghosts feel about this on their first day out of hell for a month.

2 Likes

Seems like its been going on for years, TRA wants to drop the Railway into a Trench with a Lid over the top (aka like they did through Taipei yonks ago) but needed to buy up properties beside the narrow existing Railway. Some didnt like the price offered, or just didnt want to move full stop.

1 Like

I have no problem with imminent domain, but those people deserve double market value in instances like this.

5 Likes

For clarity’s sake: I :heart: ed your post because I appreciate the information. I wasn’t
:heart: ing the events related/depicted the news item.

3 Likes

This. Accept for me i way say i have ALMOST no problems. There are situations where i am still against it. especially in.situations where thvereason is pretty useless (like the olympics in some countries as an example).

That said, many people are fine with it until it is their house…

4 Likes

A government mandate for the greater good. Who wouldn’t support it?

3 Likes

That would depend on the details of the mandate, no?

3 Likes

If the mandate is for the greater good then details such as individual rights take second place.

Using an example not in taiwan, how do you feel about for the olympics?

The problem with that as an ideal is that greater good is insanely contested. For the railway, i can see it being good probably (not well educated on this one). But mandates for corruption projects with large face saving gains i do not. and taiwan isnt above this issue.

I was joking about the desire of some on this site for government mandates for the greater good

4 Likes

OIC.

Accidentally wrote AOC by accident, edited.

1 Like

I watched this yesterday I believe they got 9 million NTD for 15 ping and still held onto 20 ping. So they are far from poor.

9 million can buy you a nice place in Tainan still.
Turf their asses out and bury the rail line.

Moronic students should find something else to fight about.

Tainan city will benefit hugely from this project.

4 Likes

Wasn’t there a deal in Shilin where the government needed land for something, and this one family refused to move? Basically the government offered a lot of money but wasn’t enough according to the owner.

Seems a good price, and it would be nice for most people in Tainan as the tracks are right in Tainan central and underground. Kao city is done with city TRA lines underground with more and nice stations and above the tracks are mostly parks (not some money making new house or office, except of Kao Main Station which will be a department store). Tainan station is old and not nice for the most part for a city it’s size and I guess trying to upgrade like Kao and Pingtung stations. (Pingtung is above ground, but better and with small mall and nice food court)

1 Like

Work has started on Taoyuan as well, new Station as well as the TRA line being put into a trench/cut and cover tunnel.

2 Likes

What do you see as the benefits, other than the safety issue of removing level crossings (a menace in Taiwan given the driving culture here)?

Guy

It opens up the central city area, provides public space.

2 Likes

A lot ! No noise for residents as trains are underground (Kao city is now quiet). More land and less walking to cross the tracks. (The Uni is on one side most of centre city is on the other, so for students and others easier to cross). A modernized station, I do not mean old design is bad but it needs new toilets and nicer food outlets would be nice. Faster train speeds in the centre city, now seems slow.
I know change is hard and scary, but after seeing iwhat in Kao City has done, Tainan needs this. Kao has saving the old train station building and upgrading it, but the station is new and nice. (Like Taipei Songshan is now underground)

4 Likes

Makes the area more walkable. Getting to the other side is a PITA.

Reduces noise.

Improves safety.

Increases flexibility and capacity, especially if that capacity includes an MRT in the future.

2 Likes

You monster!

1 Like