Tainan forcibly removes homeowner and protesters

Kid, the next time I say let’s go someplace like Bolivia, let’s GO someplace like Bolivia

1 Like

Some of them old trains still work I think, but I only saw it at the museum at the harbor old station. I guess the only major city you can see will be Taichung, since the new station is in the sky level.

1 Like

Cheers, thanks. I haven’t taken the trains in the west for a while. I thought the tracks were fully electrified by now though. Many train workers seem to think so. Not to say diesel trains dont run.them. On the eastern line I only see the midnight work trains and military/rock etc type trains running the old style engines.

The rest are not only clean in appearance, but quiet :slight_smile:

I was surprised to read above they let diesel trains into the underground, but is there an alternative route if they are shipping weapons and trucks from west to east?

1 Like

As I said, these were Mountain Line diesel rail cars, In other words, passengers carriages with Diesel engines underneath, operating in tandem, as scheduled passenger services. No military hardware involved. The west coast line is afaik fully electrified, but maybe the Mountain Line these units started from isn’t. Havnt been on it.

I can’t remember whether the military trains I’ve seen always had diesel locos. In principle there seems no reason they couldn’t use electric ones, at least in peacetime.

Gang trains might want to be diesel in case they have the power out

This train conversation is fascinating deserves a dedicated thread

So you want a thread to remove trains from a thread about a railway, reductio ad absurdam stylee?

An anorak-averse fashion victim thing, innit? (Inuit?)

I don’t know let me go back and check what started this discussion.

Police forcibly pulled a woman out of her house.

Taiwan homeowner loses battle against Railway Bureau

Yeh. That’s what I thought.

The principle problem in Taiwan isn’t Eminent Domain, its the reverse, Pre-eminent Dinero, which results in private developers with big guanchi (and probably Big Red Envelopes) purloining public land (legally or otherwise) for private enrichment.

I’ve lived in Tainan for 15 years or so and over that time this kind of dispossession has made it a significantly less pleasant place to live.

Examples include the beach at Anping, and the demolished veterans village near the airport.

There have been a few positive developments, such as building renovations, but the only significant one I can think of was the removal of (private and probably illegal) fish farms in the river delta, with subsequent mangrove colonisation.

1 Like

Hell the government is kicking people out of their homes for a few hundred years you know Ching, the Dutch, the Japanese, KMT, now the current democratic government.

It’s the same b******* to watch historically and luckily it doesn’t affect me directly.

It still f**** people’s lives up under different name.

They’re just setting this up for future development. First get rid of the fish farms and water, established some land, you can go in there reclaim the land and build some condos.

Always difficult to be cynical enough, but that’s the river flood channel, which might give even Taiwanese property punters pause.