Taipei 101 climb

Bugger!

Forgot about this and I think it’s next week, Saturday.

Is anyone else doing it? Is it too late to get a ‘team forumosa’ together? I bet NT$100 they’ll accept a late registration with cash in hand.

Who’s in? Who will give me money to do it?

All the money goes to the Garden of Hope - a very worthwhile charity that helps distressed ladies. As I’ve devoted my life to making my sisters happy, :wink: , I can’t think of a better cause.

Damn. I signed up for the 101 Run Up event to be held at the end of this month and have been climbing 22F at work, preparing, but they held the computer drawing on Saturday to pick the 2,000 contestants and. . . I didn’t make the cut. :frowning:

I noticed at least 10 western names on the list. Any forumosans doing it?

I’ll be signing up for the lottery next year. It just sounds like one of those things that should be done when you’re living in a place. Like Dragon Boat Racing even if you have to take time off from work and go to all of the practices (only 6).

Our band played at the top of 101 for one of those runs. We took the elevator and got first pick of the snacks. :thumbsup:

I didn’t make the cut either. I wish I had a way of knowing how many entries there were. What’s the probability of getting selected if they choose 2000 entries? I’m guessing it’s less than 50% chance. Oh well.

I’ve ridden my bike up the 101 lots of times. Nice view from the top, and it’s twice as high as that big building in town.

Well that really sucks. Run up 91 floors and find a bunch of freeloading elevator-riders ate all the good stuff.

scomargo, for some reason it hardly occurred to me that I wouldn’t get picked. 2,000 spots sounded like a lot, especially now that the building’s been up for a few years and has been surpassed by the Dubai one, so I figured much of the initial excitement has passed. But perhaps you’re right and the odds were far worse than I recognized.

urodacus, yea, that’s a better 101 (and I’ll be sure to get out there on it), but when it’s too rainy it’s nice to have a good indoor alternative.

Well that really sucks. Run up 91 floors and find a bunch of freeloading elevator-riders ate all the good stuff.

[/quote]
But we SANG for our suppers. :raspberry:

I did that climb. Took me 19 minutes, which I was pretty proud of…would take much longer now; sucks getting old. :laughing: Don’t remember snacks, but do remember the event was sponsored by TW P-joe. Beers at 9:30 in the morning; what a Sunday that was. :thumbsup:

Why anybody wants to do this climb is beyond me. Can you imagine the air quality in that enclosed stairwell with hundreds of people running up and panting for oxygen. :loco:

They’ve got some pretty strong fans blowing in the stairwell. I’m not sure if they’re on all the time or only for the race, but there’s actually a pretty strong draft in there.

There are plenty of people who don’t see the point of this, though.

You get a T-shirt, exercise, the view from the top, and lots of snacks afterward. I think it’s pretty decent for 300NT. It’s popular enough that the three people I know who applied (including myself, and MT above) all got denied by the lottery.

Woohooo!!!

I wasn’t on the list before, but I received an email this evening telling me I am on the list. Or at least that’s what it appears to say and that’s what my wife tells me it says. So I may be doing it after all. :discodance:

Good luck to you scomargo. I hope you also get a late acceptance.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]Woohooo!!!

I wasn’t on the list before, but I received an email this evening telling me I am on the list. Or at least that’s what it appears to say and that’s what my wife tells me it says. So I may be doing it after all. :discodance:

Good luck to you scomargo. I hope you also get a late acceptance.[/quote]

Good for you, MT! Please do let us know how this event turns out.

Jia you!

MT Good luck to you! there is a big chance you’ll be on T.V. post evento…do wear a forumosa teee…now if they had one with my face on it, I’d be on TV tooo :smiley:

Jia You!!!

Don’t want to rain on your parade, but I wasn’t on the list either and I got that same email. I think it could be a huge cock up by them. Wait and see…
There’ll be a lot of pissed off people if they’ve mass emailed the wrong list.

No worry, this is only the hand of Budha putting a few Lawai’s in. Looks good on TV though :wink:

Did I read that some of you fine Forumosans went up in …19 minutes? :astonished: :thumbsup: Hats off

I did wonder about that. There does seem to be a lot of foreign sounding names up at the top of the list of selected runners. Will I complain???

I got my email too. :discodance: (first time I’ve used that emoticon) I used my Chinese name and my ARC number, so that’s why I’m not at the top of the list with everybody else.

They definitely updated the list after this afternoon. Maybe they pruned some of the duplicate names off that I saw there earlier.
taipei-101.com.tw/runup2010/online-3.asp

My wife didn’t make the new cut, but she didn’t really want to do this anyway. But knowing that she didn’t make it, that might mean that we’re pretty lucky. Either that, or they gave foreigners priority.

I guess I’ll start training pretty soon. I think as long as you get in line with whomever you want to race with, you can climb together. They just stagger your start 10 seconds apart from each subsequent participant.

Now I just need to get my ass in gear and start training. I think I’m a fair bit younger than you MT, so I don’t want to embarrass myself too much. :wink: I think I can climb about 10 flights of stairs without getting too winded at the moment, so I just need to build from there.

Edit: Just make sure you complete registration. The rules are fairly strict about not letting you join if you don’t meet the deadlines. They’re not very generous with the amount of time you have either.

I wish I hadn’t just showered. I’d go for a nice walk in my building’s stairwell…or so I say. :whistle:

That’s a completely different list from before, and I AM on that one, so happy days! Training hasn’t started yet though.

Yes, but doubt I could do that now; seven years older and all that. The fastest that day was a Swedish marathon runner who did it in 14 minutes. There were at least 20 or 30 people who finished between his and my time. For those doing it: Pick a pace that you are comfortable with and just keep going. A lot tried to sprint from the start and got caught shortwinded. I just wanted to keep going and finish well; seemed to work out fine.