Taipei 101 fireworks 1 Jan 2020

300 seconds, 16000 fireworks, LEDs on north side of building, $60M NTD. The suspense is killing me.

Not sure this belongs in a forum where no negative comments are allowed. And it’s not an official announcement of an event.

That’s why I originally placed it in “Living in Taiwan” forum.

2 Likes

last year was meh, I hope this one is better

I hope the weather this year is bearable.

I’d say my wife and I are officially, um, taipeiese, er, taipeians, taipeiesian? Not going anywhere near those crowds again.

1 Like

I actually can see it from my tiny apartment

2 Likes

The best is to go to someone roof top if you don’t have one. I have no desire to go into a sea of people. Idk why people do it. It’s miserable and a commitment as you really can’t leave for hours.

1 Like

Best place to watch is from a location, preferably north side to see LEDs, with direct view but can have quick access to TVs as can smoke up within 20 seconds and can’t see anything but flashing clouds.

I had a few experiences with a direct view from a balcony where we ended up going inside within the first minute to watch from the TV.

Again?

Don’t know if you have noticed but if you are in the Dragon Sky city, check out current LED displays at Taipei 101. They have really stepped up their game.

Well it’s midnight the night before New Year’s fireworks and half of 101 is covered in clouds so let’s hope it’s better tomorrow.

Or those 300 seconds might not be as spectacular.

The sky will clear up by nightfall. I’m getting too old for this, but if I were to stay up and watch the fireworks, I’d go up to that cemetery-turned-park in Liuzhangli. I bet very few people will be up there given the locals’ aversion to the dead. Perfect unobstructed view of 101 right in front of you. Think Elephant Mountain without the crowd and less than half the hike.

1 Like

Ho hum…

It sucks, but it’s an experience I think everyone should have.

Gf and I did it a few years ago and luckily made it out alive. I remember seeing people RUNNING to the MRT stations after the show. Luckily, we live close by so we walked home!

2 Likes

Taipeinian?

1 Like

Even at their greatest the 101 fireworks are boring. Real fireworks shows need more height. The 101 shows remind me a a giant twinkler.

The bicentennial show in DC was good.

To be very honest, shows after the 100th year show with the dragon swirling up 101 were just not up to par.

I tried to ride ubike around the area but just a little bit too chilly and windy and I’m not dressed for it.

Where is the pre-party this afternoon?

I should packed and close my work and run for home asap…