Taipei 101 to become world's largest X-Mas tree?

Seriously. Now, if so, can we have the holiday back, please? Pretty please covered in maple syrup?

[quote]A foreign-ventured local company has launched an ambitious campaign to market Taiwan to the world by turning its landmark Taipei 101 into the world’s biggest Christmas tree.
“We want to make the whole world know about Taiwan, and Christmas is something that everybody cares about, whether one is Christian or not,” said Elias Ek, president of telemarketing company Enspyre. “Tapping into the whole Christmas theme, Taiwan will be able to really connect to people around the world,” said Ek, who is also co-chairman of the European Chamber of Commerce Taipei’s small- and medium-sized enterprises center.
[/quote]
http://www.etaiwannews.com/etn/news_content.php?id=1002426&lang=eng_news

Loretta needs his bollocks removed. Its for the greater good.

Oh! Pick me! Pick me!

Loretta is crazy in all of the right ways. It will be a sad day if she ever leaves Taiwan.

I want this to happen and I want the movie rights - B’cup should write the book. :slight_smile:

fucking idiots…THEY CANCELLED CHRISTMAS FOR FUCKS SAKE!!!

what a retarded thing to do…

at least give us Xmas back you fuckwads.

(i feel better now, sorry bout the language)

[quote=“the bear”]fucking idiots…THEY CANCELLED CHRISTMAS FOR FUCKS SAKE!!!

what a retarded thing to do…

at least give us Xmas back you fuckwads.

(i feel better now, sorry bout the language)[/quote]
Nah, it’s ALL good. I’ll be doing a story for sure about how the city government has the gall to make a big old Crimbletree, yet denies the good citizens a holiday – really twist into the whole “Christmas is merely an excuse for commercial exploitation, and nowhere is this more painfully apparent than in the grimy Taiwanese capital of Taipei, where the government has banned Christmas, yet in an astonishingly ironic twist, has contrived to cover the landmark Taipei 101 – for a brief period at one point the world’s tallest building – in LEDs that it claims will make the building look “like a Christmas tree.” In fact, as has been noted before by critics, the building bears a far more striking resemblance to a pile of upturned Chinese takeaway boxes.”
I’ll have some fun with it.

HAY, I still get to kick Loretta in the nads, though? That can’t be cancelled, surely, grinchman?

Oh yeah, of course. But you’ll to take a number, you understand.
If this goes ahead, I’ll be most interested to see which Taiwanese entity claims responsibility for the project. For sure it won’t be the furriners that actually DID dream it up.

[quote=“sandman”]Oh yeah, of course. But you’ll to take a number, you understand.
If this goes ahead, I’ll be most interested to see which Taiwanese entity claims responsibility for the project. For sure it won’t be the furriners that actually DID dream it up.[/quote]

Hmm. I’d want assurances, if I were to travel all that way.

I think it’s a fabulous wheeze. The most spectacular waste of time and resources you can imagine, for no earthly reason. Supremely subversive, if managed correctly.

They got told to fuck off. Too windy in winter, apparently. Not too windy for fireworks, though. :unamused: :laughing:
Elias should have got a Taiwanese person to present the idea – kept the whitey faces out of the picture. Then they’d have got permission.

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted:

[quote]Despite that it is a crazy and impressive idea with good intentions, it is not doable to have extra structures on the facade of the Taipei 101 building because of safety concerns and structural limits,¡¨Taipei 101 spokesman Michael Liu told the CNA.

Strong northeasterly monsoon winds that occur in the winter in Taiwan would make such a project un-doable, according to Liu. 

Liu said the management appreciates the company's creative idea. But he added: "Like many crazy ideas we often receive, most cannot be put into practice with the lack of understanding of the building¡¦s structure and situation.¡¨ 

Elias Ek, a Swedish entrepreneur in Taiwan and the co-chairman of the European Chamber of Commerce Taipei¡¦s small- and medium-sized enterprises center, recently proposed turning the 509-meter tall Taipei 101 into a Christmas tree by installing LED lights on its facade. 

He said that the project would be a good way of marketing Taiwan not only because Taiwan is the world¡¦s leading LED manufacturers and suppliers but also because by tapping into the Christmas theme, it is easier to reach out to more people. 

[/quote]

Anyway, seems the firework idea has really caught up:

[quote]Preparations for this year¡¦s New Year¡¦s Eve fireworks display is already underway, according to Liu, who added that several of his colleagues paid a recent visit to China to observe a firework contest, and many ideas are under development.

While more details will be revealed in October or November, Liu said that Taipei 101 plans to make sure this year¡¦s grand celebration is packed with excitement and splendor.

[/quote]

:roflmao:

He could put lights in his hair and become the world’s largest mobile christmas tree.