Taipei 101 world's tallest no more

Well, there you have it. How long was the 101 the world’s tallest? Sure wasn’t a long stay at the top. :frowning:

Dubai boasts tallest building in the world

[quote]
AFP
July 21, 2007

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates – Burj Dubai, a tower rising in the booming Gulf emirate, Saturday became the tallest building in the world at 512.1 meters (1,680 feet), developers said.

Burj Dubai, or Dubai Tower, now surpasses Taiwan’s Taipei 101, which is 508 meters tall and has 141 storeys, more than any other building in the world, Emaar Properties said in a statement. [/quote]

Not all that much of a neighborhood I’d say.

I can’t wait to share this splendid news with my local workmates tomorrow. (snigger)

[quote=“Mer”]Well, there you have it. How long was the 101 the world’s tallest? Sure wasn’t a long stay at the top. :frowning:

[quote]
AFP
July 21, 2007

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates – Burj Dubai, a tower rising in the booming Gulf emirate, Saturday became the tallest building in the world at 512.1 meters (1,680 feet), developers said.

Burj Dubai, or Dubai Tower, now surpasses Taiwan’s Taipei 101, which is 508 meters tall and has 141 storeys, more than any other building in the world, Emaar Properties said in a statement. [/quote][/quote]

Hold on…Burj Dubai won’t be completed until the end of the year. Taipei 101 still holds the title…for now.

It won’t be completed until the end of the year, but it’s already taller.

[quote=“Chris”][quote=“Mer”]Well, there you have it. How long was the 101 the world’s tallest? Sure wasn’t a long stay at the top. :frowning:

[quote]
AFP
July 21, 2007

Burj Dubai, or Dubai Tower, now surpasses Taiwan’s Taipei 101, which is 508 meters tall and has 141 storeys, more than any other building in the world, Emaar Properties said in a statement. [/quote][/quote]

Hold on…Burj Dubai won’t be completed until the end of the year. Taipei 101 still holds the title…for now.[/quote]
Read the story. It’s already taller in its unfinished state.

Haha, I remember when Taipei 101 was taller than the Petronas Towers but not actually completed and everyone was saying “Oh, but it’s not complete yet so it doesn’t count.” Even when it was complete everyone was very reluctant to admit it was the tallest or even that it existed. Now, of course, the rules have changed again.

[quote=“Poagao”]Haha, I remember when Taipei 101 was taller than the Petronas Towers but not actually completed and everyone was saying “Oh, but it’s not complete yet so it doesn’t count.” Even when it was complete everyone was very reluctant to admit it was the tallest or even that it existed. Now, of course, the rules have changed again.[/quote]Yep. In Latin America, most news reports, even the World Almanac, still quote the Petronas as the tallest.

[quote=“Icon”][quote=“Poagao”]Haha, I remember when Taipei 101 was taller than the Petronas Towers but not actually completed and everyone was saying “Oh, but it’s not complete yet so it doesn’t count.” Even when it was complete everyone was very reluctant to admit it was the tallest or even that it existed. Now, of course, the rules have changed again.[/quote]Yep. In Latin America, most news reports, even the World Almanac, still quote the Petronas as the tallest.[/quote]Really? How odd. Why is that? Just because it’s Taiwan?

Read the story. It’s already taller in its unfinished state.[/quote]

Yes, but if I remember past practices correctly, it can’t officially be considered the tallest until it’s completed.

But what about this Dubai, is it full of shit or a real concern?

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]But what about this Dubai, is it full of shit or a real concern?

HG[/quote]

It’s a real concern, man. We gotta do something before they cut that red ribbon in 2009. We gotta plan. Let’s get the US to invade Taiwan, thus setting the sino street on fire. The yuan will flow in and by 2009 we’ll not only have enough for airfare to Dubai but also, because of the daily grind of resistance fighting, advanced lessons in explosives.

Or did I misread your post? :blush:

I was watching TV last night and they had this guy who travels around the world eating strange foods Last nites program he was in TAiwan eating the infamous stinky tofu, fried bees, unlaid eggs, chicken testes and uterus, et al. And part of the program he was eating at the TAipei 101 and he referred to it as “The worlds second tallest building” . So already Taipei 101 is passe , no longer numbero uno.

at least dubai passed us before shanghai, they can never say their commie building was the tallest

God doesn’t like it when you try to build a tower to the heavens. Just wanted to let you heathens know.

Well, I’m glad we’re listening to the experts on the subject, at least.

only the young earth creationist god.

What’s the big deal? So what if Taiwan doesn’t have the tallest building in the world anymore.
Seems a bit comical that some people can’t come to grips with it. Holding on a little bit too hard?
It was a short stay at the top, as expected, but Taiwan can still be proud, no?

[quote=“Mer”]What’s the big deal? So what if Taiwan doesn’t have the tallest building in the world anymore.
Seems a bit comical that some people can’t come to grips with it. Holding on a little bit too hard?[/quote]

To have loved and lost is better then to not have loved at all then :slight_smile:

I just find it ironic that, after Taipei 101 surpassed the Petronas Towers everyone said, “Oh, that doesn’t count; it’s not open yet.” Even after it was complete most lists didn’t list it for a long time. Many still don’t. Now, of course, the rules have changed: the next one in line doesn’t have to be complete, just taller.