Taipei American School (TAS)

[quote]
…not a single board member is not also a TAS parent at the same time. That is a requirement. Every parent can vote or become a board member and thereby control the BOD. The power struggle is certainly not between these two groups, but that is another topic…[/quote]

Please correct me then; who is the struggle between?

And let’s include some other points in this.

1. The problem is not that students are fleeing the school because of poor quality education.
  2. The vacancies this year in the lower school are not a result of the WASC Report.
  3. Faculty leaving the school are not beyond expected range.
  4. The Wikipedia entry and discussion on TAS are not worth reading.

The opening statement of this thread implied that there are problems at the school that account for the vacancies at the school. It seems that no ever believed this. Other than making a public announcement about the WASC Report, what’s going on in this post? Who is it intended to inform? And what is its intended message?

Well, extending the thread from the original intention to get more English speaking students to TAS to a “more general discussion of TAS” will open up a whole new can of worms. But since the interest is there it might be beneficial for the whole community.

Let me start by mentioning that back in November 05, I proposed to the superintendent to have a TAS wide internal forum. The technology for such an internal forum certainly was there and parents welcomed the idea to have an opportunity to discuss TAS issues without having the whole world watch and listen in.
Well, the admin team apparently rejected my proposal with because lack of manpower to supervise the discussion list. I volunteered to keep an eye on the list and report any trouble to the administration, but the rejection stood.

For me this is one example of what the WASC committee described as a lack of open and honest communication. Since this forum was not possible within TAS it is now beyond any administrative control on the Wikipedia site, Gottfried Mayer’s Blog, and here on Forumosa. It is not always pretty, as we have heard several times, misunderstandings and false conclusions emerge, and the discussion is mostly anonymous, which doesn’t help with the quality either.

So it certainly is from a TAS point of view a much worse solution than an internal forum but I got feedback from parents that they are glad that some open discussion finally got started at all.

So let me offer my personal opinion about which parties are involved in the power struggle. I start with a timely example that I want to bring up in the Q&A session of the coming board meeting on Saturday:

In the June 6 BOD meeting the superintendent proposed to hire a new person to coordinate efforts to respond to the WASC report. The board approved and the person was hired.

On June 14 a special board meeting was called, the superintendent proposed to fire the new WASC coordinator (the official title was something like “Principal of R&D”) and the board approved to fire the new person before he could even sit down at his desk.

The question is what happened during this week that made the superintendent (already fired himself and only staying on for a year until the new superintendent is hired) and the board make this 180 degree turn in their decision? The information I got from usually well informed sources is that the admin team (among them all the principals) threatened serious consequences if the WASC coordinator would not be fired.

This supports the position that the power struggle at TAS is clearly between BOD (“Legislative”) and Administration (“Executive”). I put in the corresponding branches of the U.S. government structure to point out that this is not an isolated problem for TAS but quite common for many organizations and businesses: Some of the administrators at TAS have been around for more than 25 years and are expected to follow decisions by parents with much less understanding of the inner workings of TAS and very little competence in educational matters. It is no surprise that the executive branch tries to find ways to bypass legislative decisions or generate their own rules.

There is even an academic name for organizations that develop this type of behavior, it is called “Passive Aggressive Organization” ( See e.g. “The Passive-Aggressive Organization” by Gary L. Neilson, Bruce A. Pasternack, and Karen E. Van Nuys, Harvard Business Review, October 2005 ).

These organizations have been widely studied and strategies developed to get them out of that mode. I hope the coming retreat of both BOD and Admin team on the coming weekend will be an important step in that direction.

TAS ain’t so bad.

Though it did seem like an extraordinary amount of teachers left last year. What was it, 20-30 from highschool alone?

[quote=“lupillus”]TAS ain’t so bad.

Though it did seem like an extraordinary amount of teachers left last year. What was it, 20-30 from highschool alone?[/quote]No, I never said TAS is a bad school, we actually think it is very good.
It has been said before on this list: both the number of teachers and students leaving the school is within regular fluctuations and there are many factors that contribute to that.

I’m curious. If 20-30 teachers leaving (the high school alone??!!) after last year is within a normal range, do you have any figures on how many teachers left the previous year (after 2004-2005)?

Yes, 20 to 30 teachers leaving in one year does not seem normal… at least not in comparison to schools back in the US… that would virtually cripple my old high school… perhaps TAS is different due to the short-term teacher contracts?

exactly… there is normally a much higher turnover rate at an international school than a school in the us…

The last big turnover was when Taipei declared a SARS area, and TAS was forced to closed a month prior to summer vacation when a teacher had fever after a closed door faculty meeting.
The new superintendent is taking a lot blame for the turnover this time.

I’m sorry, I had thought this matter was solved. Actually I hadn’t intended on posting anymore. Are you now saying that the number of teachers leaving TAS is high because of so much dissatisfaction?

I get from the impression from Dr C that the school is having big problem between BOD and administrations?

Dr C and Dr Meyer same person?

Well, he did post the following:

Dunno. But, its irrelevant, and in any case, we do not out posters’ real life identities on this site.

Let me just quote from the WASC report, p.36:

To me that sounds like a request that board and admin team better get their act together to create a governance structure, where responsibilities are clearly assigned, and a school culture of cooperation, respect and all the other nice things that one would expect from a group of civilized people.

This is why the retreat of BOD and Admin team this weekend is so important. I hope the facilitator will be able to create a shared vision for both groups and teach them how to come to a consensus in the interest of our students.

yes, you could figure that out from my profile, but the spelling is “Mayer” with an “a”.

Dr. C: TAS should have listened to you about having an internal web forum on that TAS website. They should make one now and allow only those with some sort of student ID post and view there.

You guys are airing too much dirty laundry in a public place and these seem more like internal issues to be dealt with inside the TAS community. Keep publishing such issues here and you will do damage to the TAS reputation.

[quote=“Hobart”]Dr. C: TAS should have listened to you about having an internal web forum on that TAS website. They should make one now and allow only those with some sort of student ID post and view there.

You guys are airing too much dirty laundry in a public place and these seem more like internal issues to be dealt with inside the TAS community. Keep publishing such issues here and you will do damage to the TAS reputation.[/quote]

Very good point! Both the BOD and the administration have been made aware of the Wikipedia and other discussion groups and the decision was made to ignore it. Apparently Internet discussions are not given much relevance compared to separate school meetings with groups of parents, teachers, staff, or students or meetings of the Learning Community Council (LCC), where all of these groups are “represented” per selection by the administration.

Added on August 25
Since this is now an open thread on TAS I would like to mention a positive example that illustrates the tremendous role that the non-teaching staff contributes to the success of TAS:

For months there had been a garbage truck standing on the side walk outside TAS every evening between 6 and 8. The engine was idling and some foul smelling liquid dripped from the garbage container of the truck.
Kids in their neat dresses on the way to a play or a concert had to squeeze by this stinking obstacle.

Finally I mentioned that to the head of technical support services and they took care of it right away. No more trash truck on the side walk since then.

I was very impressed by the quick action since I got used to having to wait for weeks and months for anything of that sort to be taken care of, if there is a response at all.

Added on August 28
In Saturday’s board meeting it was also announced that TAS is searching for a new Business Manager. I don’t want to start a speculation thet this is also related to the TAS crisis but if you are interested in this job or know someone, send in your resume.

My question regarding the 180 degree switch in the decision of the board about hiring someone to coordinate the WASC report I was told (off the record) that the board got one recommendation from the superintendent and they didn’t have a choice but to approve it. After the superintendent got “feedback” after the meeting that this was the wrong decision, he recommended that the board decision of 06/06/06 was reversed in a special board meeting on 06/14/06 and the newly hired R&D principal be fired before the ink on his contract was dry. Fortunately that person is a poet and a good sport and didn’t sue the school for breach of contract.

So, whoever is giving this “feedback” seems to effectively make the decisions at TAS NOT(!) the board. That is not what is written in the TAS Articles of Association or school policies. And it certainly does not reflect good governance as required in the WASC report.

Dr.C stop spilling guts about TAS I don’t know what you do is fair to TAS of course you can argue it’s the freedom of speech so I am just going to stop at this point u won’t hear from me on this subject anymore.

what’s the big deal? i don’t see the need for any secrets here. it’s a school not the russian embassy.

Well, this thread is about TAS and it is supposed to be open and honest communication. It has been said several times that it would be preferable that TAS would host such a forum, but at this point no such forum is available for the TAS community at TAS. So I am grateful for the Forumosa moderator to provide this space to discuss this thread.

The retreat last week was supposed to help board and admin team to work out a better governance structure, to encourage cooperation etc.
The theme of the workshop was “Leadership through Partnership.”
One outcome was that board and admin team decided they want to “focus on working together to serve the students and teachers of Taipei American School.”
Now, this sounds wonderful, but does this mean that they didn’t try to work to serve the students last year? Also, why “serve the teachers”? Of course teachers need to get all the support they need to provide the best education for the students, but is it an equal goal for the board and admin team to serve the teachers just at the same level they serve the students?

Also, does “Leadership through Partnership.” provide a rigorpus strategy or methodological framework of how to achieve that goal?

In a way that statement about the workshop outcome reminded me of a scene in the movie “Mars Attacks!” (1996):

President Dale (after the Martians blew up the White House): “Why can’t we work out our differences? Why can’t we work things out? Little people, why can’t we all just get along?”

Holding hands and expressing the desire to work together is nice, but I thought we always assumed that everyone at TAS has already the best intentions to serve the students in the first place. The problem is how to do that in daily school reality.

The mission of TAS states that we are a learning community and that term does not only sound good but it has a very sound organizational basis and theoretical foundation. It is based on Peter Senge’s work at MIT on Learning organizations (Peter M. Senge, The Fifth Discipline: The Art & Practice of The Learning Organization (New York: Currency Doubleday, 1990), 371 p. and Schools That Learn: A Fifth Discipline Fieldbook for Parents, Educators, and Everyone Who Cares About Education by Peter Senge, Nelda Cambron-McCabe, Timothy Lucas, Bryan Smith, Janis Dutton, and Art Kleiner, Doubleday/Currency, 2000). The facilitator of the workshop Dr. Ralph Davison is a Senior Search Consultant whose Doctoral work centered on the missionary education work and he told me that he is not really familiar with Senge’s work on learning organizations.

I sincerely hope that the workshop was not just an exercise to put on the checklist for the WASC review team but that there is a serious, professional effort to improve the governance structure at TAS and thereby also improve the school climate.

Added on August 30
I just learned that Kent Peterson, coauthor of

ERIC #: ED450456
Title: Shaping School Culture: The Heart of Leadership.
Authors: Deal, Terrence E.; Peterson, Kent D.
;

will visit TAS soon. Does anyone on this lists, (e.g. the teachers) know about this author or the book? It talks about “Schools as Tribes”, “Ritual and Ceremony: Culture in Action”, reveals the relevance of school rituals, traditions, and ceremonies.

Does this have to do with “spirit week” where the students split up into different groups and compete in screaming contests and where they wear pajamas at school?

Added on September 4
During the recent Superintendent’s Parent Coffee several parents expressed concerns about student manners and dress code at TAS.

Disrespectful behavior, flip-flop sandals, and many dresses worn to school by some students were considered inappropriate and damaging to the reputation of the school and also not safe (according to the science department). Privately a parent told me that people in the neighborhood talk about TAS girls being dressed “like hookers”.

This seems to be an old complaint (mainly by parents with Asian background) and one of the principals rejected the complaint by pointing out that TAS students deserve credit for not being more noisy during lunch. Flip flops are officially permitted and enforcement of the rules didn’t seem to have a top priority for he school administration.

With regards to the dress code he shared an anecdote: One day he saw a scantly clad girl in the hallway and he approached her: “Young lady, I want to see you in my office.” It turned out that this was not a student but one of the moms.

One mom expressed her strong opinion that matters like dress code and behavior should be addressed at home and not at the school.

Another case mentioned by a mom involved a male and female student being seen alone in the school buildings after 9p.m. When she called the mother of the boy she got the answer that in case there will be a sexual harassment fine, the boy will have to pay for it from his allowance.

I mention these cases mainly because TAS will have a consultant visiting the school. Dr Kent Peterson will talk to the parents on 9/12 about “Shaping School Culture” and code of conduct and dress code certainly contribute to school culture.

I want to end with a modest suggestion: TAS is a private organization just like a club or a restaurant. So TAS can introduce a dress code that is valid for everyone who enters the premises not only for students. It can be simply enforced by the security guards at the entrance who already are there checking the badges.

Good restaurants who require male customers to wear ties also offer ties in case someone forgot to bring one.
In the same way, TAS could offer TAS t-shirts or simple gym shoes for rent or sale to everyone who arrives without proper attire.

Parents who think that these issues are important for our school cultue also might want to talk to Ben Bolte (Carney, Sandoe & Assoc) who will give a presentation on Wed 9/6 at 8a.m. about how his company plans to search a new superintendent for TAS.

Why doesn’t TAS have uniforms like most private schools in my city?

I can only speculate that uniforms are not considered to be part of an American education.

But they do sell “class rings” this week

–sjcma wrote

Local rich parents do not want their kids to become target of kidnapping that’s what I’ve been told.

The school tried to enforce dress code as best as they could last school year a few boys were called to the office for wearing T shirts that say FCUK whcih is a brand name only I thought that was weird compared with what some girls were wearing.