Taipei American School (TAS)

Well, I have not heard that argument before but it might be a factor or some parents.

I don’t think threat of kidnapping or other security issues are treated with great urgency. I don’t want to go into any details on this list (if you are TAS parent, contact me privately and I am happy to share my observations), but there are several examples, where of security risks for TAS students that I have reported to the administration. So far I noticed little or no response to my security concerns. But they are on record so if anything happens, the administration cannot claim that they have not been warned.

Hmm… virtually every other school in Taiwan has uniforms. Seems to me that not wearing uniforms and walking around the Tienmu area would mark some kid as a TAS student.

[quote]The school tried to enforce dress code as best as they could last school
year a few boys were called to the office for wearing T shirts that say
FCUK whcih is a brand name only I thought that was weird compared with what
some girls were wearing.[/quote]

That is a very good example of problems wit rule enforcement at TAS. In the upper school handbook is lists some very clear examples of what is in violation of the dress code, I remember “exposed midriff”.
I didn’t see any rule that said anything like “no words on t-shirts that can remind anyone of an obscenity”. (I won’t say what the word “cherry” makes me think of…)

This is something that staff with minimal training could recognize and report and doesn’t require the expert eyes of teachers or principals. Now banning t-shirts with words for which a permutation of letters could produce a word with an obscene meaning, that is something that is much more sophisticated.

It moves into the category of social protest that people have used for centuries. From the fables in the middle ages to poetry and jokes in the former Soviet Union, suppressed people always found a way to use double meanings, reading between the lines etc to communicate their disagreement and protest.

To read an obscenity in the word FCUK requires an active effort on the side of the reader. That is not the case for males with peak testosterone levels sitting a cafeteria surrounded by scantly clad teenage girls with exposed midriff.

Added on September 4

Well, if you see an underage kid, drunk with a fake ID in one of the local clubs, chances are also pretty good that you are looking at a TAS student.

Added on September 6

Later today, a representative of the search company, in charge of recruiting a new TAS superintendent (SI) will meet with parents to get their views about what a new TAS superintendent should look like.

I would be interested what members of this list think are the criteria for a good SI.
Considering the fact that the WASC committee only extended the TAS accreditation for two years, the new SI will have to complete the response to the WASC team during his first year of office. Usually it takes a year or so to learn the basic workings of a complex organization like TAS.

The current superintendent will have two years of experience with the school and especially with the WASC report. In the interest of the TAS students one of my requirements would be that the new SI needs to offer a better chance to regain the WASC accreditation than the current SI.

The fact that the SI has already been “fired” by the board doesn’t mean much: The board has hired and fired a Principal for Research and Development in the span of a week without any official reason (see board minutes of June 14). So firing and hiring an SI within a year for the good reason of improving the chance of regaining WASC accreditation should be no problem.

Besides, it is the same group who put the board under pressure to fire both R&D Principal and SI, so a new SI should be strong enough not to yield to “anonymous signatures” of unnamed teachers but base his recommendations to the board on the best interests of the students.

Everybody should respect and support the good teachers who play the most important role in the education of our students. They deserve the best support of their work. They deserve our encouragement to contribute to building a learning community and be creative and innovative to prepare our students for the needs of the 21st century. That is written into the TAS mission.

But we have to remember that the reason for existence of TAS are the students. Therefore language coming from the admin/board retreat that they need to serve teachers and students - putting teachers at the same level as students - are most disturbing. Especially because it is an invitation for abuse, to tempt teachers to become more interested school power politics than in student education.
A new SI should also have experience in dealing with passive aggressive organizations. It seems that there are administrators at TAS, who would rather bask in past TAS glory than face the new challenges of the 21st century.
A new SI needs to understand that “innovation” does not just mean asking each student to bring a laptop to school (about ten years ago I worked for a school where the laptops were at least given to the students through a grant from intel; back then one could have called it “innovative”).

Being an innovative learning community also means that the SI listens to the ideas of all members of the learning community even those who are not part of the alpha-crowd. Hand-picking a committee from the TAS community and designating them to be “representative” for the school body (such as the LCC) teaches the students the wrong sense of democracy. I recognize that the LCC members did important work for the school in preparing the WASC report (although the results are less than desirable) but they deserve to be truly representative of the school constituencies giving access and listening to the inputs of all members of the school’s learning community.

Finally I hope that the new SI will be able to convince the admin team that it is better to have an electronic forum for an open and honest discussion on the TAS site, instead of on a public site like forumosa.com.

Anyway, these are just some thoughts about what I would like to see in a new SI and as always I welcome comments and suggestions.

Having attended TAS myself I have to disagree with comments made about the ratio of ESL students to “native” English students. It’s true that a lot of TAS kids speak Chinese in the hallways, but that’s because the kids are bilingual, having grown up in Chinese households. Speak to them in English, and they’ll switch languages effortlessly.

In any grade maybe 10% is ESL, at least in the high school and middle school. The rest of the Asian students are ABC with a spattering from the other Asian countries. The vast majority of those students grew up in America and went to schools in the US. As such, English really is their first language, and they attend TAS because they have no hope of surviving a local school. Sure, the kids can speak Chinese, but ask them to read and write and they’d flunk every class.

Now if the comment had been that the ratio of Caucasian students to Asian students is low then I’d agree. It’s something like 1:3 or 1:4. I’d also agree that TAS doesn’t have the same culture seen in most US high schools. This can be both good and bad. There’s less bullying and less “experimenting,” i.e. drugs and sex. There’s also more competition and more pressure.

I also think the rich kid perception is overblown. Yes, there are some kids who are really rich, but most of them don’t flaunt their wealth nor use their status to influence others. Some even seem to be shy about it. Only a few of them end up being bad apples.

You are correct that TAS policies limit the number of ESL students in each class.

That is the reason that there are open spaces right now, because ESL students are still on a waiting list.

I also agree that in daily school life students don’t seem to show off the economic status of their parents.

I should mention that I was informed that multiple consecutive posts by the same person violate forumosa.com policies. So in the future I will only post one response per post. Those of you who are interested in my commentary on ongoing TAS issues, please come and visit my [b]blog![/b]

Parents decrying a dress code policy? Having gone through three cities’ school systems through my years from kindergarten until 12th grade, I can assure you that dress codes are standard.

These are some of the rules from when I was in school…

Skirts are supposed to be long enough that if you put your arms at your side, the bottom of the skirt goes below your middle finger.

Tee-shirts should not have suggestive or offensive language. That would cover the FCUK shirts.

Proper footwear for gym classes and in general all shoes should have backs (that covers flip flops).

No exposed midriffs, no bare shoulders.

Well, this is basically also the TAS dress code (except for the flip-flops; I was told that the students fought long and hard for that privilege).

But the main question for me if this code (or other codes) are enforced at TAS. It seems that there has been very selective enforcement of rules based on the interests of the administration. There is no(!) honor code at TAS, e.g. there apparently have been a string of iPod thefts and students refused to cooperate to identify he thieves.

But now, with both Principal and Associate Principal of the upper school resigning a lot of things can change next year. Hopefully it will be a new start with an administration more in line with the school’s mission.

Dr. C

Wow. Fighting hard for the right to wear flip flops. They sure have their priorities in order… :unamused:

Honestly, though, it seems like it’s hard to tell who are the kids and who are the adults in all this. You don’t expect professionals (one assumes that the parents, for the most part, are in order to afford the tuition or to be worth the paying of tuition by their companies) to be acting this way. The video you put up earlier of the PTA meeting displayed behavior that is not any better than if it had been some kid being belligerent with his teacher.

[quote=“ImaniOU”]Wow. Fighting hard for the right to wear flip flops. They sure have their priorities in order… :unamused:

Honestly, though, it seems like it’s hard to tell who are the kids and who are the adults in all this. You don’t expect professionals (one assumes that the parents, for the most part, are in order to afford the tuition or to be worth the paying of tuition by their companies) to be acting this way. The video you put up earlier of the PTA meeting displayed behavior that is not any better than if it had been some kid being belligerent with his teacher.[/quote]

Take note of all this Imaniou. Working in the States isn’t that much of a difference.

[quote=“Namahottie”][quote=“ImaniOU”]Wow. Fighting hard for the right to wear flip flops. They sure have their priorities in order… :unamused:

Honestly, though, it seems like it’s hard to tell who are the kids and who are the adults in all this. You don’t expect professionals (one assumes that the parents, for the most part, are in order to afford the tuition or to be worth the paying of tuition by their companies) to be acting this way. The video you put up earlier of the PTA meeting displayed behavior that is not any better than if it had been some kid being belligerent with his teacher.[/quote]

Take note of all this Imaniou. Working in the States isn’t that much of a difference.[/quote]

I know, I know. :doh:

Hopefully I will be involved in schools where the headache won’t be parents becoming overinvolved, but rather being underinvolved. If my experience in Taiwan serves for any comparison, it’s the former’s children who are more difficult to deal with than the latter’s.

[quote=“ImaniOU”][quote=“Namahottie”][quote=“ImaniOU”]Wow. Fighting hard for the right to wear flip flops. They sure have their priorities in order… :unamused:

Take note of all this Imaniou. Working in the States isn’t that much of a difference.[/quote]

I know, I know. :doh:

Hopefully I will be involved in schools where the headache won’t be parents becoming overinvolved, but rather being underinvolved. If my experience in Taiwan serves for any comparison, it’s the former’s children who are more difficult to deal with than the latter’s.[/quote]

LOL, not at you but reminder of my own realities and other war front stories I’ve heard. It’s not the parents that give you the headache, but the adminstration that can TRULY be the pain in the ass. Use all this experience to give yourself the ability to have tack, patience, and persistance.

Are you a teacher who sees students who ask questions and parents interested in what their kids learn just as a headache?
Probably you like teaching at a Taipei cram school. No questions, no headache from over involved parents.

No. I am a teacher who has to deal with parents bitching about the air conditioning filters rather than the fact that their child gets so worked up over what Mommy will do to her if she has a bad day at school that she comes in crying herself to being physically ill. And parents who complain that I am not paying enough attention to their child in a classroom of 20 kids, but then when I ask her to meet me for a one-on-one meeting to address her concerns, can’t be bothered to show up for her appointment and then two months later pulls her kid out and complains that I never took the time to address her concerns. or the ones who complain that their child has no friends and that the other kids don’t play with her and then blocks you out when you tell her it’s because she hits the other kids and intimidates them with threats of physical retaliation for not playing with her.

I actively seek meetings with my parents in spite of it not being the “Taiwanese way” of doing things because I think that it’s important for parents to play an active role in their child’s learning. However, parents who take on an unhealthy role and see teachers and administrators as the enemy, I can do without.

Those are the kind of parents I deal with. How dare you assume that you know who I am or what kind of teacher I am. I could make plenty of assumptions from the vitriol you are trying to spread about TAS on this website, but I’m not one to jump to conclusions about people through a few posts. You might do well to aspire to such yourself.

Thanks for the clarifications. I respect your efforts to involve parents in the learning experience of their children. We agree on the importance of that.

I can understand your frustration about some of the parents and I personally never considered teachers and administrators as enemies.

My goal is really to work towards an authentic learning community where teachers, students, and parents learn from each other and also share with each other what they learned.

I went to TAS (last class to graduate from the Shilin campus) from K-12, and my memories are so positive, that I moved back here so my kids could attend. I literally could have gone anywhere to raise my kids, and I chose Taiwan, with TAS being a major factor.

I’ve been following what’s been transpiring, with the attitude that these things will work themselves out, and the pros will win over the busybodies; is that too naive?

I do NOT want my kids in “cram” schools. I want them to be confident above all else, and I think that comes from a balanced education. I sincerely hope that TAS stay the course, and continues in the tradition of a balanced education that’s very strong in academics, but nurtures confidence and individualism.

Well, the school still has an amazing program in performing arts, music and other areas where students can develop their confidence. For instance they hosted a http://web.mac.com/gottfriedmayer/iWeb/Gottfried%20Mayer's%20Blog/Blog/4291EA1B-1EAB-4194-AC0A-C9CC51842CCC.html%20%20Model%20United%20Nation which was really impressive.

As a scientist I also would like to see more of a celebration of authentic
science education. While performances in dance, theater, and music are open to the general audience, science related activities seem to be restricted to the classroom and parents of the involved students only. After the movie “An Inconvenient Truth” was shown in the local theater, I suggested to have a school-wide presentation of related learning activities. Teachers, parents, and students that I talked to, thought it was a great idea, but the administration decided that the students were too busy with other activities.
But the school administration was very supportive when we did a little science project involving the school’s
http://web.mac.com/gottfriedmayer/iWeb/Gottfried%20Mayer’s%20Blog/Blog/391B5D0E-CDAB-4CC6-8CD0-810199F6A88E.html
air conditioning system

But things always change with the high school principal and co-princpal retiring and a new superintendent starting next year.

Dr. C.

Well, the school still has an amazing program in performing arts, music and other areas where students can develop their confidence. For instance they hosted a Model United Nation which was really impressive.

As a scientist I also would like to see more of a celebration of authentic
science education. While performances in dance, theater, and music are open to the general audience, science related activities seem to be restricted to the classroom and parents of the involved students only. After the movie “An Inconvenient Truth” was shown in the local theater, I suggested to have a school-wide presentation of related learning activities. Teachers, parents, and students that I talked to, thought it was a great idea, but the administration decided that the students were too busy with other activities.
But the school administration was very supportive when we did a little science project involving the school’s air conditioning system.

But things always change with the high school principal and co-princpal retiring and a new superintendent starting next year.

Dr. C.

looks like that accreditation committee is going to put tas back to a fully normal status. they just had a team make a visit.

As a parent possibly moving to Taipei with one in middle school and one in high school, and having read this entire thread, please don’t leave me hanging. What was the final result of the accreditation visit? I am considering sending my children to TAS so if anyone knows anything please let me know.

worried mom

tas.edu.tw/podium/default.aspx?t=8516

initial reports about the october visit were positive.