Taipei City Public Library 臺北市立圖書館

Main branch. Lots of English books. Also Japanese and others.

Second floor has

• current newspapers including New York Times and Washington Post
  • and about a hundred different Western magazines

Third floor has

• information desk

Sixth floor has the most seats.

Car parking in B3 and youbike rental bike stand in front of the library.

First floor check-in for

• library card and
  • eBook checkout account via Overdrive

Takes about 3 minutes with

• easy card and
  • Taiwan ID.

Taipei Public Library
No. 125號, Section 2, Jianguo South Road, Da’an District, Taipei City, 106
02 2755 2823

5 Likes

Once you have a library card, you can also call books to your closest branch. Very convenient!

1 Like

Don’t forget the best part of all! :grinning:

3 Likes

This thread should be permanent one.

1 Like

Do you happen to know if they have the WSJ and the Financial Times?

Does anyone know if you need a Taipei address to register or will an address in lesser areas also be acceptable?!

Other cities are fine too. I registered with a Taichung address originally.

1 Like

The picture he provided shows the list of titles

I’m in the heart of Pingtung and am a heavy user or the Taipai Public library yet I never stepped into a Branch.
How is this so? Any legal resident of Taiwan is allowed to have library card. Why? We pay national taxes. You can belong to any public libraries you’d like.
I use the Taipai library because they have the biggest collection of audio and Ebooks provided by Overdrive, the # 1 e-book provider in the US.
To join though, you need to send your original ARC with your application to join. At the time I initially signed up and renewed years later, they wouldn’t accept copies.
Before you send your valuable documents, I’d recommend you get a contact person to send your info to by talking to them on the phone first.
Here’s link to their ebook and audio book service
https://taipei.overdrive.com/

1 Like

Aren’t city libraries like Taipei City Library and Pingtung City Library funded by city taxes not national taxes.

National taxes probably fund the Taiwan National Library 國家圖書館 - #6 by Incubus

Anyone a member or know of Kaohsiung or Taichung City library? And how are those for eBooks? Do they use Overdrive?

Will they checkout/send physical books to you or only ebooks?

Taipei City Library has mobile kiosks for people to check out and return books but probably not available outside of Taipei.

I’m a member of the Kaohsiung system. They do have ebooks. They’re mostly Chinese and their system is not that intuitive.
I have to be taught to use it and then I forget. Kaohsiung has a great.
physical collection.
The best thing is you can borrow from almost any branch, or have the books sent to your local branch. You can also return the books to any convenient branch.

Thanks! Completely missed that. I have the attention span or an old fishing boat.

1 Like

Ok. Maybe I’m making a big assumption. I do know that Taipei and Kaohsiung are Federal Cities which means they get more funding.
But all I really know is you can join any public library. Don’t ask too many questions. I’m a member of Taipei, Kaohsiung and Pingtung. I’ve found that Taipei has the best online resources.

Transfer payments?

???
I just knows this. Go to any major public library.
Say: I’d like a library card please.
They say: Do you have an ARC?
You say: I sure do.
Then you shut up and get your card.
As far as I know, only Taipei has Over Drive.
In this case, you call them and asked nicely:
I live in XYZ. I cannot get to the library. May I get the card by mail…
Do what they say, don’t ask questions.The card is free.

1 Like

Do Taiwan libraries have subscriptions to research services like Mintel, Euromonitor, Standard & Poor, Factiva, Gartner, Morningstar, ValueLine, Marketline, etc.?

I know US university libraries have subscriptions to these for students. They cost an arm and a leg.

iirc, yes, but from library computer.

1 Like

Are any libraries 24 hour to chill there at night? I see most of them are just open 9- 5. Do they have any private rooms?

How about some university libraries? Do they have private rooms? Are they 24 hour? Do they allow non-students?