Taipei Diaries?

I was just wondering if anyone had information on this show–also known at The English Teachers. I was hoping to have a view of the show before heading over, just to see what things are like. I can’t seem to find it on streaming video anywhere.

Thanx

What do you want to know?

I caught some of these shows a year or so back when they were shown on one of the satellite channels in the UK.

The show gave a fairly unattractive view of some of the people who come over to Taiwan to teach. It mainly focussed on a variety of deadbeats and wasters and detailed their trials and tribulations of: getting pissed most nights, avoiding the police while working illegally on expired visas, trying to find a local to marry (as no one back home was interested), and moaning about…well - pretty much everything.

Compelling viewing!

Ben

It’s required viewing for anyone who questions why “English teacher” is sometimes used as a slur. :wink:

I know what it’s like to live in an Asian country, the show is more for my partner. He’s a visual kind of guy and we’ve seen pictures of Taipei and other cities around Taiwan but he’d like to see more.

I know what the show is all about, I watched it here when it aired on the Life Network. I know it’s full of a bunch of whiny babies however it does show images of Taipei through a video camera lens. That’s why I wanted to know where I could find the show. I’m having one heck of a problem locating it. It’s not even available on all the bit torrent sites I’ve been to. Just wondering if anyone would know where I could get a copy is all.

Thanks anyways.

If you wanna watch nice footage of Taipei (sans whiny babies) you could rent Ang Lee’s “Eat Drink Man Woman”. Easier to find than the series mentioned, better shot… but a little out of date, although most of the issues are still relevant.

I love that movie. Another choice for seeing Taipei Scenery is Right Turn Left Turn. But I must warn: the acting is dismal. Cute movie none the less.

Who is also famous for making movies about 2 gay cowboys…

[quote=“ben_gb”]What do you want to know?

I caught some of these shows a year or so back when they were shown on one of the satellite channels in the UK.

The show gave a fairly unattractive view of some of the people who come over to Taiwan to teach. It mainly focussed on a variety of deadbeats and wasters and detailed their trials and tribulations of: getting pissed most nights, avoiding the police while working illegally on expired visas, trying to find a local to marry (as no one back home was interested), and moaning about…well - pretty much everything.

Compelling viewing!

Ben[/quote]

It’s worth it just for the scene where two deadbeat western ‘filmmakers’ try to get a Taiwanese girl with a 10-word English vocabulary to kiss some guy in the name of ‘serious drama’. The punchline is where the girl gets her one and only voice part: ‘yaaawwrrrr preeeaergnant?!’.

Who is also famous for making movies about 2 gay cowboys…[/quote]

So what?

[quote=“rahimiiii”][quote=“lurkky”]

Who is also famous for making movies about 2 gay cowboys…[/quote]

So what?[/quote]

So what, indeed…!

But that reminds me…if you want to see a pretty side of Taipei, then you could try and get hold of another film produced locally called Formula 17 (and by pretty I didn’t mean the actors…well, maybe the lead…).

There is another Taipei-based film that you might be able to find, called Yi Yi. It’s maybe 10+ years old now, and can be a bit hard work if you’re not in the right frame of mind (its quite long and slow moving) but, from my recollection, it does show various shots of Taipei.

Ben