TAIPEI English Nursery School

Hi, I will be moving to Taipei in about 2 months. Have a 13 months and heard most ‘good’ nursery schools has long waiting lists!! So if I register once I arrived Taipei hopefully will be able to make it when mine turn 18 mons. Am looking for an english nursery accepting toddlers from 15 or 18 months near Zhong Xiao Dong Lu. Nursery school has to be bright and colorful with clean enviornment. Will be greatly appreciated for any recommendations, and numbers of the schools please (so I can call and inquire about fees, and if any, waiting list).

Thanks a bunch!!

Oops, I already made a comment about this in your cockroach thread.
But basically, although Taipei may be better, I’ve found that nursery schools aren’t very good here, besides being expensive. Your best option is kindergarten but they only accept kids two years old and older.
My wife has been a stay at home mom since our son was born 13 months ago because her mom is only 44 and still works. She wants to work, but sending our son to a daycare facility/nursery home isn’t ideal. To paraphrase my wife, it’s at least 10 000 a month and they are very Cha bu duo-ish. If the kid doesn’t want to eat the don’t pressure him, they don’t take time to play with all the kids and keep them occupied and stimulated and apparently if other kids hit your child they’re not overly concerned. From what my wife told me, nursery schools/day care facilities are a last resort and aren’t very well regarded by the locals. Then again, in Taipei they may have better alternatives than in Tainan and they should have more places that cater to foreigners wrt language and facilities, but my guess would be that they would be that much more expensive.

I don’t live in Taipei and have no idea about what they have available for toddlers up there, but my best advice would be to search carefully and thoroughly vett the place. Perhaps even speak with parents who have their kids at the school you’re looking at sending your child to.
My personal feeling is a little cynical in this regard and although I’ve always wanted my son to go to elementary school here for the Chinese (and to be completely in touch with his Chinese ancestary), I’m kind of wondering whether I’m doing the right thing by staying here. Even most kindergartens don’t have outdoor facilities for playtime. I remember running around outside a lot as a kid in kindergarten, but here most places have them indoors in a single classroom all day, save for the occassional outdoor trip somewhere.

My best advice is to look around carefully and get as much info as possible. If you have a local friend who is also a mom, get help. Local knowledge can go a long way.

Good luck and all the best.

My hubby doesnt quite agree with putting our baby in daycare or nurseries at such a young age either. However, our 13 months LOVESSSS toddlers!! He just cant resist himself when seeing babies or toddlers, he would wave “HI” continuously. He even doesnt let go off the bench inside a day care where I visited in Canada a few days ago, only because he saw a group of todds there.

Another reason I wanna put him with other kids is 'cause I’m told that they learn fast and know a lot more stuff when put in daycare/preschool.

If it just socialization you are looking for we have a great group of Enlish speaking moms who get together regularly with our little ones.

If you are looking for daycare one of our other friends put her kid in one so I can ask her the number. I will say though she took him out after just a month or two because of the amount of sicknesses he caught there.