Taipei Hiking Club Events Chat IV

Truant,

Very nice job moderating. Thanks for everything.

Seeker4

With the typhoon coming we will have to wait and see about hiking this weekend. Even if the typhoon passes in the next couple days the river might be too swollen to go up, though Rat you’d have a better idea about that.

The wulai swimming hole is always great after a typhoon though.

Another typhoon! :frowning:

But yes. Wulai!

relief

[quote=“Chris”]Another typhoon! :frowning:

But yes. Wulai![/quote]

I was thinking the same thing. Wasn’t that swimminghole in Wulai best after a typhoon?

I also doubt that hiking up the Daxi river would be safe/doable right after a typhoon hit, unless we would attempt to hike along the trail, but what’s the fun of that.

How long of a hike is it to that swimming hole?

[quote=“Typhun”][quote=“ratlung”]
I was thinking the same thing. Wasn’t that swimminghole in Wulai best after a typhoon?
[/quote]

How long of a hike is it to that swimming hole?[/quote]

A very easy 40 minutes. But with the weather looking to clear up I would like to try either the Daxi River or the small stream near Shifen.I have learned I can judge how much water the rains brought by looking at the Jingmei River here in Mucha. It is moderately high today, and if it drops a lot by Friday/Saturday other rivers should not be swollen either.

[quote=“Muzha Man”][quote=“Typhun”][quote=“ratlung”]
[/quote]

A very easy 40 minutes. But with the weather looking to clear up I would like to try either the Daxi River or the small stream near Shifen.I have learned I can judge how much water the rains brought by looking at the Jingmei River here in Muzha. It is moderately high today, and if it drops a lot by Friday/Saturday other rivers should not be swollen either.[/quote]

Does that mean that there is a chance that my Nalgene bottle is still around?

Greetings from Melbourne fellow tree huggers! The only hiking I’ll be doing for a while is around the city! I’ve not been here for three years and I have to say - it rocks. Good food, nice people and best of all a Taiwan cafe with all my favourites from back home…er…I mean Tw.

Go out and hug a tree for me. Hope NOT to see you soon, unless you come to Kangarooland that is :slight_smile:

L.

[quote=“Limey”]Greetings from Melbourne fellow tree huggers! The only hiking I’ll be doing for a while is around the city! I’ve not been here for three years and I have to say - it rocks. Good food, nice people and best of all a Taiwan cafe with all my favourites from back home…er…I mean Tw.

Go out and hug a tree for me. Hope NOT to see you soon, unless you come to Kangarooland that is :slight_smile:

L.[/quote]

G’day, mate! Good on ya for letting us know how things are. We miss ya.

Maybe we’ll have to go down there and visit ya…and go for a fair dinkum walkabout in the bush, me old cobber!

Cheerio, mate!

Hey limey. Throw another shrimp on the barbie for me!

Sorry I didn’t get to see you before you left.

Sounds like you’re going to be very happy there. Good for you (Lucky git! :p).

Dum bastard, you were supposed to have dinner with us all before you left. Jees, now I have to go to Melbourne and we all know that’s nothing I want to do.

Hope all goes well in the coming months.We miss you up here but do wish you never need to come back.

[quote=“ratlung”][quote=“Muzha Man”][quote=“Typhun”][quote=“ratlung”]
[/quote]

A very easy 40 minutes. But with the weather looking to clear up I would like to try either the Daxi River or the small stream near Shifen.I have learned I can judge how much water the rains brought by looking at the Jingmei River here in Muzha. It is moderately high today, and if it drops a lot by Friday/Saturday other rivers should not be swollen either.[/quote]

Does that mean that there is a chance that my Nalgene bottle is still around?[/quote]

Possibly. Where did you leave it? How high above the water level was it?

[quote=“Muzha Man”][quote=“ratlung”][quote=“Muzha Man”][quote=“Typhun”][quote=“ratlung”]
[/quote]

Does that mean that there is a chance that my Nalgene bottle is still around?[/quote]

Possibly. Where did you leave it? How high above the water level was it?[/quote]

I think it must have fallen out of my backpack pouch while climbing/slipping/jumping on the rocks, so not sure where it landed.

Me too.

Well, I’m game to head out on Sunday (to Daxi, not Melbourne) and look for all the missing loot. Ilan county’s weather report is looking clear and dry starting Friday. The river level should be down to normal by then. What say you?

When you’re at Daxi, start hiking uphill in Fulong’s direction and once you reach the ridge get very lost. Believe me, it’s gonna be a lot of fun! :smiley:

Hey, hey. You came back from the dead to say that? :wink:

Can you list a brief on how you’re going?

Work.
Sport, leisure.
Romance.

I think that covers it.

Back to the topic at hand: this weekend’s hiking.

Rat, are you interested in going back to Daxi on Sunday? If not I may go out to Sandiaoling to try to make it to the base of the big waterfall by river tracing up. We got close last time but couldn’t get over a rock/fall. With the proper shoes and rope I think we can.

Tomorrow I may go out as well. I’m restless. Thinking of heading out to…somewhere.