Taipei Hiking Club Events Chat IV

Mod Note:

Continuation from:

Taipei Hiking Club Events III thread.
[url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/taipei-hiking-club-events-ii/21552/1 Hiking Club Events II thread.[/url]
Taipei Hiking Club Events I thread.

[url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/taipei-hiking-club-events-index/22580/1

This thread is for general chat about hiking club events/brainstorming and general hiking posts. When posts result in an actual hiking being organized, these posts will be split off into their own thread and [url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/taipei-hiking-club-events-index/22580/1 Or, a new thread can be started directly with a hiking proposal.
When a hike is coming up, PM the mod about it to get it indexed asap.

Rgds,
Truant

Hey! My interview has been uploaded.
See here: whatsupintaiwan.blogspot.com/
(I haven’t even listened yet, so hopefully it’s OK)

Thanks again for the photo, Chris.

OK, now that I’ve listened… boy has my accent become Americanised. :astonished:

Or should I give up now and say “Americanized”?

Just listened to it. I must say, you’re very well spoken…especially for someone that’s being recorded. Good job, you drunk Irishman, you! :wink:

In all fairness, I don’t think you could have avoided talking about drinking if the topic was St. Patrick’s Day.

Overall, definitely worth a listen.

Great to see my pic on the website, and a little discussion about it in the interview!

So any hikes this coming weekend? (18/19 March)

Unfortunately, there’s next to no chance of my being able to go out hiking this weekend. I’ve a mountain of work to get through and will need to keep my nose to the grindstone for at least the next week. :frowning:

I also cannot go out as I need to tackle some painting I have put off for too long. I don’t care if it rains or shines, I’ve got to get these walls done.

ratlung and I have colds.

I’m going to consider riding my bike on Sunday with Bu Lai En if the weather is nice, which is no guarantee.

OK. No probs. After the bike show last weekend, I’m pretty motivated to go out on my bike here anyway. Might try to head over the hill to Muzha.

I’m also opting for the bike ride on Sunday instead of hiking (no hike anyway). Likely me plus one. The ride has its own thread (Hongshulin to Xindian).

That said, the weather today (Saturday) sure looks fantastic so far.

Thread split for this hike: forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?t=47085

New hike:

[forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … 015#524015](Sandiaoling River Trace: April 1, 2006

Right guys. The sooner I tell my wife there’s a hike this coming weekend, the more chance I have of being allowed out.
Also, a not-full-day one would be welcome (as it would also increase my chances). Don’t let me dictate though.

So… any plans for this coming weekend?

[quote=“irishstu”]Right guys. The sooner I tell my wife there’s a hike this coming weekend, the more chance I have of being allowed out.
Also, a not-full-day one would be welcome (as it would also increase my chances). Don’t let me dictate though.

So… any plans for this coming weekend?[/quote]

Stu, we need a long hike to discuss things such as domestic harmony and how you need some Stu time as well.

I’ve got shitloads on now and work all the time. Otherwise I’d love to be out there with you.

Have fun.

im riding in maokong tomorrow morning…

So, fellow tree huggers what did you get up to today? I decided to go up guan in shan again. Believe it or not we last visited in November. I looked back through the comments book where we stopped.

Anyway. I went on a bit of a ramble and discovered how I can lengthen the route, so instead of heading for the peak we would go around the side of the main peak and then climb a smaller one. Good fun it was - there were no people on the trail today, the weather was hot and it was great to be out!

The total time I spent hiking was four hours, but I had a long lunch and book break. So we could easily do it in three. If people still had energy we could continue into unchartered waters so to speak. I think we could make this a hiking club outing later in the year.

L.

New hike:

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 723#526723

Anyone want to climb up Taipei 101 and raise money for charity in the process? I’m interested in climbing up the stairs at Taipei 101, but I’d be a lot more inclined to go if I could go with a group of friends. Let me know if you’re interested. Maybe I should make this it’s own thread, but I thought I’d first see what the hiking club had to say.

taipeitimes.com/News/feat/ar … 2003301489

[quote=“scomargo”]Anyone want to climb up Taipei 101 and raise money for charity in the process? I’m interested in climbing up the stairs at Taipei 101, but I’d be a lot more inclined to go if I could go with a group of friends. Let me know if you’re interested. Maybe I should make this it’s own thread, but I thought I’d first see what the hiking club had to say.

taipeitimes.com/News/feat/ar … 2003301489[/quote]
Hi scomargo,

I think you have two good ideas; the climb and making this a thread of its own.

Let me add an idea to that:

Why don’t we make this our hiking club’s normal hike for that weekend, on Sunday, May 21st?

We could call it “Taipei Hiking Club Scales Giant Erection for Good Cause!”

Seriously, why don’t we, even if we’re forced to adopt a G-rated hike title?

Seeker4

P.S. - Other links for more info:
canadiansociety.org/events/e … 0507.shtml
canadiansociety.org/events/i … ochure.pdf