Taipei Hiking Club Events Chat IV

I went yesterday to MiraMar Shopping Center in Neihu L4 and saw these rather nice looking water boots.
keenfootwear.com/pdp_page.cfm?productID=29

I am wondering how good they are. What I like about them is that you probably won’t move within the shoe itself. The sling capture system seems to keep the foot strapped to the sole. Plus the sole wraps around the foot.

I looked at the bottom of the boot, and the sole seems to be made of some sort of rubber with fine zigzag cuts in it. I am not sure how well they compare to the felt bottom soles, would be an interesting comparison.

The price is with NT$1700 rather on the high side, but they appear better manufactured than the felt bottom boots.

Hi Ratlung:
No, these shoes are expensive but useless for river-tracing. At least in Wulai region.
Get a $350 no-slip shoes at any fishing store is the best choice.

[quote=“trail_hacker”]Hi Ratlung:
No, these shoes are expensive but useless for river-tracing. At least in Wulai region.
Get a $350 no-slip shoes at any fishing store is the best choice.[/quote]

Have you ever tried them?

Ratlung:
Rubber bottom can’t grip on stone with moss.
I’ve bought a cheap version of this type of shoes several years ago.

Rat, Tom was wearing a pair like that that I brought back from Canada on our Ilan river trace mis-adventure. You remember how he took them off after a while as they were useless. I’ve worn that type too in Taiwan and must say they offer less grip than running shoes.

The ones you show have probably better ankle support that my Canadian ones but they have the same sole. But I never found the felt booties were a problem aroudn the ankle as you are usually going pretty slow in them. In addition, the felt booties are much more comfortable for a long trace/hike than the rubber soled which offer no support or cushion on the bottom. The soft felt sole is a good cushion.

trail_hacker is right. Rubber is useless on the mossy rocks in Taiwan. The cheap felt soled boots offer a grip like a good rock climbing shoe.

[quote=“Muzha Man”]Rat, Tom was wearing a pair like that that I brought back from Canada on our Yilan river trace mis-adventure. You remember how he took them off after a while as they were useless. I’ve worn that type too in Taiwan and must say they offer less grip than running shoes.

The ones you show have probably better ankle support that my Canadian ones but they have the same sole. But I never found the felt booties were a problem aroudn the ankle as you are usually going pretty slow in them. In addition, the felt booties are much more comfortable for a long trace/hike than the rubber soled which offer no support or cushion on the bottom. The soft felt sole is a good cushion.

trail_hacker is right. Rubber is useless on the mossy rocks in Taiwan. The cheap felt soled boots offer a grip like a good rock climbing shoe.[/quote]

I can imagine that rubber soles are not as good for mossy rocks. But I also see great danger for injuries with those felt bottom shoes that don’t really stay on the foot as well. Plus the once I showed also have protection around the toes, which would be extra beneficial for a rocky river bed. I agree that probalby the ultimate shoe would be the Keen Water Booties with some sort of felt bottom sole.

Edit:
I once wore a pair of regular felt bottom boots during diving practise and I found it difficult to imagine to climb up a rocky river bed in those.

RATLUNG:

Yes, the ultimate shoe for river-tracing(the Keen Water Booties with some sort of felt bottom sole)exist in Japan. But I’m not sure if it’s sold at Taiwan.

item.rakuten.co.jp/sportsman/mb-1125301/

[quote=“trail_hacker”]RATLUNG:

Yes, the ultimate shoe for river-tracing(the Keen Water Booties with some sort of felt bottom sole)exist in Japan. But I’m not sured if it’s sold at Taiwan.

item.rakuten.co.jp/sportsman/mb-1125301/[/quote]

Thanks for the link, they do look nice and more heavy duty than the Taiwanese felt bottom booties. I would prefer them a bit more raised. But if it is a japanese brand, they probably won’t make them in my size. The prize is approximately the same as the Keens. Would love to take a look at them.

Maybe one could take the Keens and glue a felt bottom underneath. The sole of the Keens are very smooth, so it might be possible. Anybody knows a good shoe maker? This would have the advantage that you would be able to remove the felt bottom once it is worn down, and replace it with a new one.

Don’t worry about that, Ratlung. I have worn those felt-bottomed shoes for literally thousands of hours of river-tracing in Taiwan, often dashing up and down stream at high speed, and I have never suffered any injury to my feet or had a shoe come off.

Rubber soles are crap. Get felt soles. I’ve worn felt soled boots all day loads of times. Last time I wore them it was to that red river place and I hiked up to the second pool and back in them. No problems at all. If you really wnated to you could always buy those expensive ones and some cheap ones, cut off the felt with a sharp knife and glue them on to the rubber soles. Use that flexible contact cement and they’ll stick just fine. But I don’t see the point.

Just to let everyone know, I am not planning a hike his weekend. Typhoon and goodbye party for Ana, who some of you have met, will take care of my weekend.

If it’s nice on Sunday I’ll be out. I want to make one last trip up Guan in shan, but won’t go in the rain, as it can be too slippery and dangerous.

Have a good weekend all :slight_smile:

Next Sunday will be my last chance to go tree huggin’ with you guys. What shall we do?

L.

[quote=“Limey”]Next Sunday will be my last chance to go tree huggin’ with you guys. What shall we do?

L.[/quote]

Do you mean this coming Sunday? I was planning to clean and paint my Taoyuan apartment (didn’t get to it last weekend). But if it’s your last chance I can rearrange my schedule.

I’m game for last hike with Limey! My knee has finally recovered!

Yup, this Sunday. Maybe we could come round to yours and help you…only kidding!

I had a fantastic day in Guan in shan last Sunday. Although it threatened to rain, it held off until I was back home. I did three hours hiking. It is so easy to discover a new path or route up there. I saw less than twenty people all day. Unbelievable for such a gorgeous spot.

I did slip on some rocks though - grazing my arm and brusing my arse. But hey, it was well worth it.

If we can’t arrange a hike, then perhaps dinner before the 7th of August. (We are moving out of here into Mum’s on the 31st, so computer access wll be limited that last week)

L.

OK, let’s do the Pingxi crags. It will be hot for sure but Limey can get some great last shots on the pinacles and we can all go for a nice swim afterwards to cool down and then dinner at that old japanese house. Too bad we can’t light sky lanterns anymore.

Oh, and then we can all go to my place to paint. :smiley:

At the last Happy Hour, there were certain individuals (who shall remain nameless - you know who you are! :slight_smile:) who said they’d like to go on a “hike for wimps” - a short, easy walk followed by a long period of swimming and relaxing. Just something to keep in mind for the next few weeks.

The crags:

The 15 foot deep natural pool:

[/img]

Fantastic pic of seeker4 diving into the pool!