Taipei International Food Show June 23~26 2010

A nice event not to be missed, just wanted to let everyone know about it.
I think it’ll be a good opportunity to get our hands on some good food and supplies and what-not.

Hmm. That link says that “overseas visitors” are also accepted on the first couple of days. Does that mean they’ll let in anyone with a white face?

For those who have been before: what kind of stuff have you been able to get?

You’ll have to regitrar for that. It’s simple give an email and an address abroad and you are good to go.

I preferred when it was at TWTC Xinyi, more crowds, more mess. :smiley:

Lot less samples now. Very hard to get them to sell stuff.

Bump, because it seems kind of relevant this week.

So what kind of goods can be acquired? Is it worth the trip?

I’d say it is.
I am going for different reasons.
First find some new suppliers.
Who is importing new stuff etc…
What kind of products are showing?
I know many european booth will be there, so, I definitly wanna see what’s up.
And many more reasons.

You’ll have to regitrar for that. It’s simple give an email and an address abroad and you are good to go.[/quote]

When I called about it for an earlier food show, they said that was for trade representatives only, not just any foreigner.

Well, how hard will it be to sneak in as media…
I’m working freelance after all :laughing:

You’ll have to regitrar for that. It’s simple give an email and an address abroad and you are good to go.[/quote]
I just realized the longer I stay here, the worse my English gets.

Me too, because I don’t speak much English anymore, and when I do speak it, it’s sometimes like Chinglish, I surprised myself saying ‘‘Last year July’’ (去年七月) instead of ‘‘Last July’’.

Thanks for the info! I will go to this food expo.

When I called about it for an earlier food show, they said that was for trade representatives only, not just any foreigner.[/quote]
Correct. Most of shows in Taiwan require a namecard at registration. Specially with those shows that needs tickets to go in.

I’m still curious: is there much for the consumer to pick up at an event like this? If I go, what should I be looking for?

In comparison, at the baking show about a year back I managed to get rye flour (decent), spent a low but nonetheless wasted amount on a godawful cooking spray, and got a pretty good deal on meh baking chocolate.

My aunt and her friends who just live near WTC love going to this kind of food shows because they get to eat great food almost from around the world because exhibitiors give out free samples, and can buy something home if they like it. They like to go near lunch time so they get a big exotic brunch at about TWD120 of the ticket price! But I don’t know if this one allows exhibitors to sell products to customers. Specific rules of every show apply. You have to call to make sure.

I went last year and was quite disappointed because none of the food items that really interested me (the kinds of things you can’t easily get in Taiwan such as interesting brands of hot salsas or unusual dried pastas ) were for sale – the exhibitors had brought very limited samples and were looking for distributors only. The only exception was some of the wine distributors who were giving samples of some okay wines and had bottles for sale at reasonable prices, but even these were very limited and not really all that interesting compared to what is available at typical wine shows.

We went a few years ago and were similarly disappointed. The Vegetarian and Organic show was actually much better; we got lots of free samples and bought a lot as well, and made some good contacts in the organic and DIY areas.

So, this one Food Show brought up here dosen’t really sound so worthy of going to…

Thanks all! I think I’ve pretty much decided the food exhibition won’t be in my plans for the weekend.

Central America will be there will the coffee, as usual. This year’s crop focus is on Honduras.

Anyone gone? Feedback?

Well, there are cooking shows on hand. Chinese food is good, plenty of samples. For teh guys, the usual la meis.

The Western food, however, is a bit lacking, nearly no food samples, but the wine samples make up.

And no selling yet.