Taipei kindergarten without corporal punishment?

I’ve been teaching kindy and bushiban in TW for years. If I had my own kindergarten in Taipei where I was the boss, could I find Chinese teachers and Taiwanese parents to support the controlled-abuse environment? The best scenario I could hope for (based on what I’ve seen in TW) is allowing Chinese teachers to get rough with the 3 - 4 year olds but ONLY on a VERY limited basis.
I don’t think I could sleep at night knowing that I’m making money in a school where I let the children get roughed up, especially if I can control it.
What do you think? Thanks

You shouldn’t employ them. Try to stick with Taiwanese teachers.

6 Likes

Thanks Jimi. I should’ve been more clear. When I say Chinese teachers I mean Taiwanese teachers. Do you see any students getting roughed up by the Taiwanese teachers?

It’s totally made illegal some years ago.

I’ve been watching them brutalized and bullied for 21 years. It’s institutionalised behaviour.

So was not yielding to pedestrians at crosswalks.

5 Likes

:troll:

Have CCTV in all classrooms. Tell them the rules clearly that corporal or physical punishment of any kind is illegal and will be reported.

Just don’t allow this. Not exactly rocket science.

:joy:。I’ve actively reported schools for violations of the law that are serious threats to the safety of the children. Video evidence, photos, audio of the boss reaming everyone out because “someone” “dared” report them for doing things that were “not illegal”. Every single report was met with “we sent someone to look. The thing you’re talking about didn’t happen”. I then sent follow up reports reporting the people who evaluated the report, with even more new photo and video evidence. At some point, I was accused of “abusing the reporting system”. I told them they were not doing their job, that the reporting system is in place to take care of exactly what I reported, that children could die in a fire or earthquake, accused them of taking bribes…at some point it just gave up. The law doesn’t mean anything if no one will enforce it.

3 Likes

But you weren’t the boss.

1 Like

That’s true, but as the boss you’d better have a very good legal team behind you or you’ll be accused of wrongful termination.

Make the terms clear in the contract. It’s illegal to use corporal punishment, so good luck making that case anyway.

1 Like

You’re asking us on a public forum if you can find teachers that will break the law and beat your students for you?

Corporal punishment is illegal, period. Doesn’t matter how much or little. Also doesn’t matter if the owner (you) or the parent agrees to it.

2 Likes

Yes, you are absolutely right. But again, just because something is illegal doesn’t mean anyone will willingly enforce the law. In a perfect world, teachers who sexually assault students in front of students and staff on a daily basis go straight to prison, but I can name a few teachers that simply changed their name and got hired at the school next door, to everyone’s knowledge. Black and white laws are fuzzy shades of green when the legal system doesn’t work the way it’s supposed to.

1 Like

But it’s not a question of enforcing the law in this case. The OP wants to open a school. He can certainly set a policy that corporal punishment, which is illegal, is not allowed. Now someone being terminated for that reason (presuming there’s evidence) is in the position of suing someone based on something that’s illegal in the first place. I understand the things that you’re saying, but I don’t think they apply in this situation.

2 Likes

Can a foreigner even open a Kindergarten?

1 Like

Maybe he’s Chinese. I mean, Taiwanese.

Or maybe this whole thing is a troll and other forumosans see things that only happen in their imagination.

I mean, there are so many possibilities!

3 Likes

We ran a school for a long time. Parents would give us the go ahead to beat their kids, in front of their kids, usually on the first day of class or something.

1 Like

Things have changed a lot over the past 15 years as far as I can see. Less physical contact now, more mental abuse.

2 Likes

Awesome. TBH I need to release some stress… Where’s that school?

1 Like