Taipei: Looking for free drop-in taijiquan (太極拳/tai chi chuan) groups in the park

I’m going to be visiting Taiwan soon and staying in Taipei for a couple of days, and was wondering if there are any particular parks where people do taijiquan. I was hoping to be able to just drop in and follow one of the practice groups for free. Is that sort of drop-in practice generally allowed, or will they get annoyed if some outsider tries to join the group practice?

I speak basically zero Chinese and would expect just to follow along with the moves just by watching. I have a few months experience with Chen-style taijiquan so I can probably stumble along and follow any slow-moving taijiquan group.

So to summarize my questions:

1. Any recommendations for parks in Taipei where people do taijiquan? (I found some old information recommending Daan park.)
  2. Any recommendations for times of day and days of week? I assume weekend mornings would be a popular time?
  3. Do you think the practice groups would generally be receptive to strangers (who don’t speak Chinese) dropping in and joining their practice group for free?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

1 Like

No takers? OK, let’s try this: I read that 二二八平和公園 has groups of taijiquan practitioners practicing in the mornings. Can anyone verify if this information is accurate?

Yes, this is correct. 228 Park on Saturday mornings and CKS Memorial Hall on Sunday mornings, starting around nine. I haven’t been since the pandemic started though.

Yes, they always welcome people dropping by. New meat to practice their push hands on.

3 Likes

谢谢. Most likely my vacation schedule will put me in Taipei on a weekday… Any idea if there are tai chi people practicing on weekday mornings as well?

Push hands practice sounds fun, but I need to read up on the basics of that since my local class is still having us doing just forms, and hasn’t let us loose to try push hands just yet. I’ve seen the back and forth rotating rhythm that goes on between the partners’ arms, but I’m not quite sure that I could reproduce that rhythm myself. But I’m looking forward to see what it feels like to get “bounced” back by a skilled tai chi practitioner.

Sorry, don’t have any idea about that.

They’ll probably take it easy on you if you’re a beginner. Feel free to just jump right in.

1 Like

台北市太極拳大安隊
大安森林公園大安太極拳隊運動時間:7:30-9:00
maybe every morning
they have Facebook page

每週三20:00-21:00 大安森林公園二號出口

2 Likes

Oops, I meant to write 謝謝. Details, details. I can’t edit the original post anymore (moderators: feel free to edit). 對不起!

I heard that some of these groups pay the instructor a small fee for a set period. If it were me I would be careful just joining in a random group I saw at a park without checking this first, either with a participant or the instructor.

I recently saw a group in Dexing Plaza (it’s NOT a park) with at least 3-4 foreigners. I just happened to see them when they were arriving and when they were leaving, so I don’t know what kind of exercises they were doing. They were carrying some prop bladed weapons though. No idea how to find them, but maybe some of them are forumosans.

1 Like

Good point, but not being able to speak Chinese makes it a bit difficult to check about any required fees. I hope I can use pointing, hand gestures, and “好不好?” to try to convey my intent. Only problem is that there’s a danger of my sign language being interpreted the wrong way…

1 Like

So, I made it out to the 228 park at 7 AM on 2 consecutive weekdays (not the weekend). There were plenty of martial arts groups practicing, with members of all ages, which I found immensely gratifying to see. This indicates to me that traditional Chinese martial arts (TCMA) are a part of the collective psyche of the Taiwanese people, and that practicing these martial arts in the park, even for younger generations, is perfectly normal and just as common as more “ordinary” exercises like jogging. I believe that I saw practitioners of Baguazhang (with the whole group walking around on the perimeter of a large circle), Xingyiquan (using a hard-stomping style of walking combined with rapid upper body movements), and of course Taijiquan (the stereotypical slow and flowing tai chi moves).

It seems most groups have already started with their warm-ups at 7 AM, so that is a good time to show up in the park, at least on a weekday. It’s easier to join a group when they are starting instead of barging in in the middle of the session.

I started by joining a Qigong (stretching and qi activation) group that was practicing in a wide area, making it easy to slip in from the corner to join. The instructor smiled as I joined, an implicit sign of approval. I also saw (on the next day, joining the sane group) about 4 other new people, who didn’t seem to be regular participants, spontaneously joining the group, so at least for this Qigong group, they welcomed drop-in newcomers such as myself. I didn’t understand the Chinese-language explantions but I heard several Chinese-language references to body parts that I was familiar with, like kua and mingmen.

To show respect, I stayed with the same group until the end of the lesson (instead of quitting after 5 minutes to jump around between different groups). The lesson lasted about an hour, or maybe a little more.

The next day I joined the same Qigong group for about an hour, and chatted at the end briefly with the instructors, who seemed genuinely happy to have new people and foreigners participating in their group. Next, I saw that there was a Taijiquan group still in progress, so I mustered up some courage and just jumped into the group and practiced for about 15 minutes until the group took a break. The students explained that this was a Yang-style Taijiquan group (which I had kind of guessed based on the style of the movements) which practices in the park from Monday through Friday from 7:30 AM to 9:30 AM (though they were already doing warmups around 7 AM).

I didn’t observe any push hands practice (paired partner exercise of Taijiquan) in the 228 park on either weekday morning that I was present. On weekday mornings, participation is naturally limited to those people who, for whatever reason, don’t need to work at that time – housewives, retirees, students, tourists, and the like. Therefore, I imagine that on weekends – when almost everyone has time off from work and can participate if they want to – there will be a larger number of people practicing, maybe a higher level of dedication to the art, and therefore maybe also some more serious practice methods like push-hands.

So, it was worth dropping by the 228 park at 7 AM for a bit of Qigong and Taijiquan to start the day. If anyone else decides to check out this park (especially on the weekend), I’d love to hear about what kind of martial arts practice you could see and if any push-hands practice takes place.

2 Likes

So here’s a bit more information about where and what I saw in 228 park on weekdays. The groups I observed were all slightly south of the monument located in the center of the park (台北二二八紀念館-全台紀念碑與紀念館-臺北市二二八紀念碑).

Baguazhang practitioners were doing circle walking around a tree here:

Yang-style Taijiquan practitioners were practicing here:

Practitioners seemed to be doing Xingyiquan (comparatively rapid and explosive movements) here:

Qigong practitioners were doing qigong stretching exercises here:

That area in the park where I saw Qigong practitioners is the same area shown in this YouTube video from Dec. 2019: Typical Sunday at 228 Peace Park. Taipei, Taiwan. - YouTube . That video claims to show practitioners on a Sunday in 228 park.

It may be the case that a particular location with the park may be used by one group on weekdays and a different group or groups on weekends. While I observed the above location being used by just one large Qigong group on a weekday, the above video seems to show multiple different groups – including push-hands practice and weapons work – occupying that same area on a Sunday.

Fun fact: I read on some martial arts forum that, at least in China, schools compete with each other for the right to use certain public spaces to teach, because the good locations with lots of passers-by are a form of advertising for the school and many schools may want to use the same area. In case two schools want to use the same are in the park, the rights are determined in the old-fashioned way: a duel.

Anyway, my tourist time in Taipei is sadly now over, so I hope someone else can provide a report about what happens in the 228 park on weekends these days.

1 Like

So I confirmed two more Taipei locations with taijiquan and qigong practice.

First, there is a paved plaza outside of exit 3 of the MRT Minquan West Road station, at the intersection of Lane 70 Minquan West Road and Jinxi street.

I saw three taijiquan groups here, all apparently Yang style. I think one of the groups was wearing T shirts saying 中華太極館, but I also think I saw other organizational T shirts in the group too, so it may have been a mixed group instead of being organized exclusively by 中華太極館. I again sneaked into the corner of the group and, being positioned at the edge, was always turning my head around to watch and follow the movements of the group. It was immediately obvious to the members that I was an outsider, and one of the practitioners welcomed me, in English, to stand in the middle of the group to see better. The practitoners were men and women, probably in their 50s, and their movements seemed balanced and smooth. That group told me that they practice there every morning except Sunday from 6:30 to 7:30. In addition to slow Yang-style taijiquan, the group also did routines involving swords and fans. A second break-out group, that still seemed related to the first group, was doing staff-style routines but, instead of staves, they were using walking canes and umbrellas. There also seemed to be a separate third group with no relation to the first 2 groups, consisting only of middle-aged women without any uniformity in their attire, and whose movements seemed a little less fluid than the first 2 groups.

Second, I checked out Da’an park, and arrived there at 6:30 AM. Unfortunately, I didn’t see many taijiquan practitioners there, and that may have something to with the Dragon Boat Festival happening on the weekend, which may have caused fewer people to be in Taipei right now. I saw a lot of qigong groups, one in the “Sunken Garden” area near exit 4 (?) of the MRT station, and others scattered throughout the park. As for taijiquan, I saw two or three very small (3 or 4 person) groups doing Yang-style taijiquan and joined one of them. The movements of all the small groups I saw seemed somewhat lower-quality, being mostly stiff and unbalanced with little evidence of whole-body, connected movement. I did however see one solo practitioner, a woman in her 40s or 50s, whose movements seemed pretty smooth.

Also, in Da’an park I saw a Baguazhang group doing circle-walking in a roofed area slightly north of the Ecological Pond. They were wearing T-shirts saying “energy bagua” which seems to be some health-related practice group. Finally I also saw another practice group whose instructor seemed skilled, doing smooth and very low stances that, to my untrained eye, looked more like some kind of Shaolin art (not taijiquan), with extended punch-like movements. I also noticed that one participant, who joined late, approached to a safe distance from the teacher, closed his eyes, and raised his hands in a prayer gesture, holding it there for a few seconds, before ending the gesture and starting following the teacher. I don’t know if that prayer gesture is normal etiquette for joining a park-based practice group late, but it may be a useful polite mannerism to remember.

Prayer gestures notwithstanding, as I mentioned in an earlier post, it still seems that the easiest way to join a group is just to get there early, between 6:30 and 7:00, when they are still doing their warmups, and to slip in from the side. One challenge is to identify, from the warmups, if the group is doing taijiquan or not. One hint is the formation of the practioners. If they’re standing kind of in rows and columns, that may be a hint sign that the group may be doing taijiquan, due to the movements in space and the requirement to gauge your distance to the other people. On the other hand, if the participants are standing in a semi-circle around the instructor, that may be a hint that the participants aren’t expecting to move from their location, meaning that the group may be doing just qigong instead of taijiquan.

I did not observe any paired partner pracrice (no pushing hands exercises) in any of the groups in any of the locations.

I hope that if anyone else has recent experience with park taijiquan in Taipei (or elsewhere) that you’ll share your experiences, especially if you see push-hands practice in the park.

2 Likes

On my way back from a business meeting I saw a few groups at Xiangshan park around 6 a.m. this morning. Doing some sort of slow fighting the air kind of moves. One group with shirts labelled Infinite Youth.

But I can’t tell Taijiquan from a dancing monkey, so take this with a grain of salt. (And before I’m being labelled as culturally insensitive, the same applies for Brazilian Jiu Jitsu or Texas Wrestling.)

2 Likes

Bolo! The “best bad guy”! :joy:

Haven’t seen him in years, wonder what he’s up to these days? :thinking:

1 Like

Some pictures from my last taijiquan report.

Taijiquan fan practitioners at the paved plaza at the first location of my last post. This group also did normal (no weapons) Yang-style taijiquan and also sword routines. The fans and the T-shirts show the word 太極, clearly indicating that this is a taijiquan group.

Taijiquan (?) practitioners doing staff work with canes and umbrellas. (Faces have been obscured.) Notice that two of the participants have T-shirts with the same logo (some variant of the yin-yang symbol :yin_yang:, likely indicating that this is a taijiquan group), one participant has a T-shirt with a different logo, and one participant has a T-shirt with no logo. So the organizational affiliation of the group is unclear.

In Da’an park, practitioners doing some unknown art, maybe Shaolin? This pose is not a taijiquan pose as far as I know.
shaolin

Qigong group at the Sunken Garden in Da’an park. Some of the poses at first seemed like taijiquan poses to me, and I briefly joined (with 2 other persons) the outskirts of this group, but I decided after 15 minutes that the semi-circular formation of this group would prevent the movement required for taijiquan, and concluded that this was not a taijiquan group.

In Da’an park, “Energy Bagua” practitioners doing a health-oriented, non-martial variant of Baguazhang circle walking:

1 Like

Today, Sunday, I again checked out 228 Peace Park at 6:30 AM. The last time that I visited this park was on a weekday, and I saw several practice groups. I had hoped that on a weekend, there might be more martial arts practitioners in the 228 park, and that I might even see some push hands practice. But alas, it was not to be. I saw only one group, a Baguazhang group, that did 30 minutes of warmups followed by one hour of doing nothing but circle walking. I also saw about 3 solo practitioners at various locations, one doing kicking, one doing maybe qigong, and one elderly man doing I think Xingyiquan. Again, the lack of people may be due to the long holiday weekend with people traveling outside of Taipei.

By 7:55 AM the situation had not changed – there were no new practitioners to be seen - so I gave up and went to CKS memorial hall. By 8 AM the main plaza is already drenched in sunshine, and hence too hot to serve as a practice area, but in the green wooded area near the MRT station (exit 5), I saw one elderly man doing taijiquan (I assume Yang style) by himself, and one middle-aged smiling woman, by herself, wearing a T-shirt with what looked like some kind of yin-yang logo, so I thought this might be a taijiquan teacher. I stayed at a safe distance and practiced some taijiquan moves and cat-walking exercises by myself. By 8:30 AM some people had joined the teacher and started doing some basic warmups. I watched for some minutes, then slowly crept into the corner of the group and started copying the warmup movements. Another middle-aged woman joined the group behind me and, with a puzzled look on her face, asked in Chinese if I was a student. Smiling, I answered that I was a tourist, and, still with a puzzled and unsatisfied look on her face, she mumbled, “uh, okay, okay.” The teacher noticed our conversation, stopped her routine, walked towards me, scowling, pointing, and screaming in a military-style voice something at me Chinese, finally pointing at her shirt and/or waist. She didn’t seem happy, so I slowly backed away, did a “thank you” gesture (right fist into left palm) that we use in the taijiquan class that I regularly attend, and (hopefully) politely excused myself from the group and moved away. I went to a nearby clear area and did some taijiquan routines on my own, while casting furtive glances at the other group. Out of the corner of my eye I could see that the teacher was also stealing glances at me, maybe suspicious, or maybe just curious.

I guess that the teacher screamed at me for one of two reasons. Either she was kicking me out of the group because I wasn’t a member (which is what I assumed she was trying to communicate with her pointing), or, she was perhaps upset that I was continuing to wear my small shoulder bag while practicing, which might explain what she was pointing at. Since my passport is in that bag, I’m sorry, but it ain’t leaving my side.

I continued to watch the group for a total of 1 hour, and all during this time (and beyond) they seemed to be doing only qigong and not taijiquan. No big loss for me.

I am still curious though about what got the teacher angry at me. Was it my intrusion as an outsider into the group? Or was it my lack of etiquette by continuing to wear my small shoulder bag during the practice?

Does anyone else want to try to answer this question, by running an experiment to try infiltrating this group – without wearing any bags – and to see if you are accepted? CKS memorial hall, exit 5, in the green area right as soon as you walk past the blue/white walls into the inner court, at 8:30 AM on Sundays.

2 Likes

Very strange. Did you stick around till later? Between nine and twelve it was always an open push hands group that was very welcoming back when I was still going pre-covid. Never saw a woman there teaching qigong for money. The push hands group was pretty much all men.

1 Like

I stayed until about 9:45, and that qigong group was the only group to be seen in the area this morning (Sunday).

1 Like

One other thing occurred to me. Maybe the teacher was objecting to my joining the “main practice area” which was reserved for official students, but she probably wouldn’t have and couldn’t have objected if I had stood at a greater distance (on the opposite side of the sidewalk, for instance) from the main group. In contrast, I remember that the qigong group I saw (and joined) last month in 228 park was more welcoming by explicitly calling out to distant people to move closer and join the main group.

Anyway, this was the only time I got screamed at, so I won’t let that diminish the more welcoming attitude that I experienced with other groups.

I’m still curious about if people still practice push hands in the park though. Was the group that you joined organized by foreigners (and hence more prone to dissipate if the organizer leaves the city or country), or was it organized by Taipei locals?

1 Like