Taipei - Motorcycle Lessons?

Does anyone know where I can pay for motorcycle lessons?

I’ve been living in Taipei for 6 months (moved here from the USA), and I’m interested in lessons and eventually buying my first motorcycle. I’ve been on scooters as a passenger, but I don’t have a license yet to drive myself. None of my friends drive an actual motorcycle.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

• CJ

motorcycle … lessons … :roflmao:

There is no such thing here because nobody - including the government - sees any need for that sort of foreign-inspired nonsense.

Go and take your driving test, which involves driving around in a circle and answering a bunch of nonsensical questions (just memorize the answers). Then buy a bike. Then learn how Taiwanese people drive by getting out there and being very, very careful.

That’s what everyone else does, anyway. Except for the “very careful” bit. If you’re not confident about this process, take your lessons (and test) in a real country. You may be able to exchange your license when you get back here, but that’s not really the point - you’ll have learned how to drive properly and safely. You’ll have to modify what you’ve learned, but the basic principles (such as “assume that everybody is trying to kill you and position yourself accordingly”) hold up just fine in Taiwan.

I think its more about shifting gears and bike maintenece. I’m just fine on a scooter but don’t know the first thing about a real motorcycle.

I would teach ya how to ride for a case of beer but I live in Taoyuan. I bet you could find someone to help ya learn how to ride a motorcycle. Once you get the idea down, then you should buy a beater bike for a bit until you get more comfortable on it. You aren’t going to find any paid lessons here though.

There is indeed a Motorcycle Training facility,either in Hsinchu or maybe Miaoli (Can’t remember exactly). We used/rented it once for a Driver training day . Track is very small but they do have motorcycle training courses.
I will ask someone for the details tomorrow and Post them.

:astonished: :astonished: :astonished:

I am absolutely astounded, shiadoa.

You must have been their first and only customer.

[quote=“finley”]:eek: :astonished: :astonished:

I am absolutely astounded, shiadoa.

You must have been their first and only customer.[/quote]

I was only instructing some Porsche clients we have, on the basics,before they went on a Trackday. The track was not really suitable for speed but there was a Pro bike Instructor,doing courses around cones and a small course,for new owners of larger bikes. I suspect they are not busy ,looking at the quality of riding here. :unamused:

There is a driving school in Beitou that has heavy motorcycle training.
And it is usually packed.
It is on the southwest corner of the Chengde and Dadu Intersection.

That’s something different. That’s the place where the gov’t goes through the motions of what looks (to the casual observer) like a driving test.

The OP wants to actually learn how to ride a motorcycle.

[quote=“shiadoa”]There is indeed a Motorcycle Training facility,either in Hsinchu or maybe Miaoli (Can’t remember exactly). We used/rented it once for a Driver training day . Track is very small but they do have motorcycle training courses.
I will ask someone for the details tomorrow and Post them.[/quote]

That would be great shiadoa thanks!

I’m definitely willing to travel outside of Taipei to learn how to ride. This island is conveniently small :laughing:

Hey there, are you still available for motorcycle lessons?
Could pay you with fine beer more bike lessons.

That was 9 years ago so possibly not still around.

Out of curiosity have you ever ridden any motorcycle with a hand clutch or driven a standard shift car with a clutch & gearshift?

There are motorcycle driving schools around and might not notice them. Sometimes near the car driving schools. And they provide motorcycles that are the most easiest to learn on and they’re not super fast but very easy to use and don’t get damaged if you drop it or something.

This one in Guandu is friendly and they’ll ensure you pass the test given by them :wink:. Actually most all of them will.

大台北駕訓班

I ended up taking lessons and getting certified in the USA. Was just easier to do it that way and also have a cycle license on the international license. Then don’t need to take a test in Taiwan, just rent and go.

1 Like