Taipei MRT, Neihu Line: Who f***ed up?

do you think she’ll get a refund? I had to take a taxi after walking on the tracks to the station and unceremoniously being pushed to the curb. My cab was $175 but I didn’t even bother with a receipt.

This isn’t as bad as the time I bought a train ticket from Taitung to Taipei and I had to get out of my seat in Hualien and stand the rest of the way. If you don’t have a seat don’t sell me a ticket.

I don’t think she’ll get a refund but it’s worth a try.

Er, it’s not the same at all. There are two types of train tickets: seated and standing. You got the latter. It was just a bonus you could sit part of the way.

mayor hau’s second line after his official apology tonight…“it’s the fault of the foreign contractors and we will ask them to compensate us”

so 14 years after the Matra fiasco here we go again…shift the blame on to the foreigners…couldn’t possibly because we keep fucking with the specs (grafting one system on to another) or fiddling the tender process…oh no…

[quote=“Icon”]So people are standing in Zhongshiao Fuxing, average time waiting to get on the shuttle bus is 30 MINUTES!

Obviously no happy campers. I saw one woman flipping the birdie towards a cameraman.

Then one of them asks a reporter when will the system be up and running, and she tells them what Hau said: tomorrow morning at 6. (suuurreee… :ohreally: )

Let’s just say the woman was shocked.

Also, please note people were left to fend for themselves at 37 degrees. It took operators 30 minutes to even tell people to start walking down the lines towards the nearest station. How long will it take them to react in a real emergency, Heaven forbid? Our lives are in their hands every single day. :snivel:

Most newschannels tiptoe around the issue and try not to devote a lot of time. And on the talk show, they just say they have no idea what cause the break down but that it’ll never happen again… :blah:[/quote]

What complete hysteria. There was power failure, these things sometime happen on MRT systems. In London it is pretty much a weekly occurrence, even on the newer lines.
Hao says it will be up and running at 6AM tomorrow, let’s see what happens… :wink:

Yup power failure took down the line. THe power was restored but the computer system was still down for some time says the mayor.

THis would be the first major system breakdown of the Neihu line (reported cost over 2 billion us dollars for the neihu section along with the 202 cars and redo of the matra cars). Lets hope they get all the teething troubles out.

youtube.com/watch?v=ZxuwRz_Q … re=channel

[quote=“the bear”][quote=“tommy525”][quote=“Flakman”]I suggest they rip out the seats on one side to free up more room. Even when only one person is standing between the seats the space is too cramped.

Designate remaining seats as “priority seating”.[/quote]

why didnt they just copy the seat arrangement from the old Muzha line cars? they seemed to have met with public acceptance and were quite good. why change a good idea?

but yes, ripping out seats on one side certainly would make the whole thing a lot more spacious and useful and is a good idea if big crowds are a common thing.[/quote]

right, how bout rip out all the seats?..run a cattle car service, oh and let people sit on top too like in india… :sunglasses:[/quote]

I wouldnt laugh, that may be plan B , if the ridership gets high enough.

Power failure everyone can take, as it has been said before, sh** happens. But unprepared attendats, neglectful organization and the chaos derived thereof -shutting a working line like Muzha line on a Friday evening- is absolutely mad and they should be hanged by their toes by public opinion.

The problem itself -that no one has come up with a decent answer, and remember, they kept the Gondola running well past danger point- is not as relevant -except for the blame the furriner thing- as the fact that they CANNOT, are NOT PREPARED to handle an emergency in the tracks.

If someone had fallen and gotten killed, or electrocuted, they just throw money at them but do not fix the core issue: there should be a plan in place, that not requires face-saving and boss approval -who is probably already in China on a Friday night.

If it had been me, I would have died right then and there of heatstroke because no human hand would have gotten me on that walkway: I am terrified of heights. I put myself in teh shoes of the women carrying their babies, waiting one hour or more for a shuttle, anguished because they have to pick their other kid at the anchinban -they interviewed a couple of those. It sucks, big time.

And to show the trust people have, the stations looked empty today… and there are shuttle buses waiting for a chance to go.

[quote=“Icon”]Power failure everyone can take, as it has been said before, sh** happens. But unprepared attendats, neglectful organization and the chaos derived thereof -shutting a working line like Muzha line on a Friday evening- is absolutely mad and they should be hanged by their toes by public opinion.

The problem itself -that no one has come up with a decent answer, and remember, they kept the Gondola running well past danger point- is not as relevant -except for the blame the furriner thing- as the fact that they CANNOT, are NOT PREPARED to handle an emergency in the tracks.

If someone had fallen and gotten killed, or electrocuted, they just throw money at them but do not fix the core issue: there should be a plan in place, that not requires face-saving and boss approval -who is probably already in China on a Friday night.

If it had been me, I would have died right then and there of heatstroke because no human hand would have gotten me on that walkway: I am terrified of heights. I put myself in teh shoes of the women carrying their babies, waiting one hour or more for a shuttle, anguished because they have to pick their other kid at the anchinban -they interviewed a couple of those. It sucks, big time.
[/quote]

Christ no one died…you are being completely hysterical.

When the power goes out on the London Underground, there are NO shuttle buses. The masses just have to crowd onto the regular buses. Delays of an hour or more are normal, sometimes underground in trains without air-conditioning.

Now imagine-the power goes out on the Muzha line. Sending enough shuttle buses to pick up stranded passengers obviously takes time. The buses have to drive from their depot to all the of the affected stations. They maybe even have to call drivers into work. They need to get enough buses to each station to pick up all the affected passengers, which at rush hour is a lot of people. Of course this takes time. You imagine the MRT breaks down and then 5 minutes later enough shuttle buses arrive to take all the passengers. How is that logistically possible?

Maybe because it’s Saturday. Of course the line did get up and running this morning as Hao said it would. :wink:

TWnese are a funny bunch. In few other countries would a new subway line generate so much attention that people would line up from 6am to ride it? And the TWnese travelling public is notoriously difficult to please. Plane is late because of weather? Ok they refuse to disembark and want compensation. Subway breaks down even once…not acceptable. Everyone one (cept our own spongebob tshirt wearer who didnt know) got a few one day pass on the MRT for the inconvenience. And now some people are calling that the price be reduced by 5nt per ride for the muzha/neihu line because the train cars are too small. HAha (said the mayor privateLY no doubt).

THey just want to have fun and then if fun is not to be had, then they want to be Paid. :slight_smile:

Actually its pretty cool to be able to walk on that elevated track. THat doesnt happen often. IT dint scare anyone apparently. Just dont be there when the power comes on ON THE THIRD RAIL .

This is one of the things that I admire about Taiwanese: They are pretty resillient in the face of an adverse situation. :thumbsup:

I found the system stopped at about 4pm, asked the attendant which bus would take me close to where I wanted and hopped on that. People were friendly and helpful everyone on the bus because everyone was in the same situation of trying to figure out how to get where we wanted to go. Nobody seemed pissed off or angry, like some of the posters here.

This is one of the things that I admire about Taiwanese: They are pretty resillient in the face of an adverse situation. :thumbsup:

I found the system stopped at about 4pm, asked the attendant which bus would take me close to where I wanted and hopped on that. People were friendly and helpful everyone on the bus because everyone was in the same situation of trying to figure out how to get where we wanted to go. Nobody seemed pissed off or angry, like some of the posters here.[/quote]

Jes, it’s hardly an “adverse situation”, just a little mafan.

I’m sure Icon wouldn’t have died, and the parents going to pick their kids up from the anqinban are hardly going to be “anguished” because they will be a little late.

I went outside about half an hour ago and noticed the Brown Line trains are up and running. I also saw Brown Line shuttle buses on Fuxing.

Re: Taipei MRT, Neihu Line: Who f***ed up?

The OP is obviously operating under the misconception that the new transit line was somehow intended to help citizens and facilitate public transportation; it was not.

The Nei-hu MRT line was designed as series of photo ops and pocket lining-money grabbing - back door deals to let politicians play grab ass and smile for the cameras and so that their rich cunt business contacts/friends/cronies/family members could embezzle the majority of the money… all the while everybody could congratulate themselves on a job well done.

Nobody fucked up it was executed perfectly.

youtube.com/watch?v=lZkPt_EE … re=related

this is what its like. the MRT guessing game…will the doors open? Will they close ? WHen will it start moving?

THese bombadier trains seem not as good as the matra ones who (after initial hiccups) ran fine for the last 14 years. HOpefully we shall soon see them running nicely too.

ha, at least those people were in the station when they got stuck! I left the house that day and considered if I should bring my camera. I chose not to. It was the first time since I got to Taipei that I didn’t bring my camera with me. I missed out on some good pics from up there. Well here are some pics i got on my crappy camera phone:

Nor was she being completely honest about her gender, apparently. :laughing:
But apart from that, come on people! You decide to travel with the plebs, it stands to reason you’ll be treated like a pleb.

quite a thrill really, that may hv been the first time that happened. Iv never heard of it happening before. Anyone know? That people were outside on the tracks?

[quote=“Mawvellous”][quote=“Icon”]Power failure everyone can take, as it has been said before, sh** happens. But unprepared attendats, neglectful organization and the chaos derived thereof -shutting a working line like Muzha line on a Friday evening- is absolutely mad and they should be hanged by their toes by public opinion.

[/quote]

When the power goes out on the London Underground, there are NO shuttle buses. The masses just have to crowd onto the regular buses. Delays of an hour or more are normal, sometimes underground in trains without air-conditioning.

Now imagine-the power goes out on the Muzha line. Sending enough shuttle buses to pick up stranded passengers obviously takes time. The buses have to drive from their depot to all the of the affected stations. They maybe even have to call drivers into work. They need to get enough buses to each station to pick up all the affected passengers, which at rush hour is a lot of people. Of course this takes time. You imagine the MRT breaks down and then 5 minutes later enough shuttle buses arrive to take all the passengers. How is that logistically possible?

Maybe because it’s Saturday. Of course the line did get up and running this morning as Hao said it would. :wink:[/quote]

[quote=“Mawvellous”][quote=“Icon”]Power failure everyone can take, as it has been said before, sh** happens. But unprepared attendats, neglectful organization and the chaos derived thereof -shutting a working line like Muzha line on a Friday evening- is absolutely mad and they should be hanged by their toes by public opinion.

[/quote]

Maybe because it’s Saturday. Of course the line did get up and running this morning as Hao said it would. :wink:[/quote]

Mawvellous, bear with me. You have people with strollers, babies, elderly and infirm, walking on a thin line space four stories up, after being locked in a can without air conditioning, heck, without air circulation. That is definetively not pleasant nor profesional. read teh Taipe Times reporter personal account.

Did you watch teh news? The one hour wait was becaus eof teh sheer volume of people at 7, 8ish, while teh buses had been running already a while. Of course I know they have to be brought from somewhere, and taht it takes time, but the one hour wait, I repeta , was teh average for people waiting while the buses were already going.

The truth is that the volume of travelers that normally usee both Muzha and Neihu lines -two line stopped, does anyone recall the mess during Nari- and it is awful that now the peopel stranded are not even getting proper compensation. 325 nts per head, only if you have teh Easy Card.

Mawvelous, I do not think it is fair to compare a centenial system -which is prone to break- to a brand new. As to shuttles and compensation, well, taiwanse demand a lot beacuse they know that many palms have been greased and lots of money has gotten into fat cats, so they expect that those well fet cats catch teh mice, if you knwo what I mean.

These are teh same guys who gave us teh Gondola. And just about NOW figure out they need an emergency response team. -see today’s TapeiTimes.

A one-hour wait? What the hell are you talking about? You mean an hour wait because the hairys were too fucking tightfisted to just go get another bus or a taxi, right? :laughing: I have a friend who had to … er… “dice with death” :roflmao: on the train track. A walk of a few minutes, down the stairs, push his way through the crowds of peasants, into a taxi and off.