🚇 Taipei - MRT | Neihu MRT to Keelung?

I don’t have a strong opinion on this matter, but it is striking how the Tsai government has prioritized transport extension—with HSR now planned to extend into Pingtung and into Yilan, and the MRT now planned to head into Keelung . . .

Now please throw Hsinchu a bone. Thank you! :grin:

Guy

1 Like

They got their “bone” in the form of the upgraded and extended TRA line to the HSR station a few years ago.

They did that on the cheap, following an elevated route along fields where few Hsinchu City residents live. Still waiting for relief along Hsinchu’s horribly congested Kuang Fu road corridor . . . Dare to dream! :rofl:

Guy

2 Likes

Ha! Don’t make me laugh. That thing is so slow I sometimes get out and walk beside it.

And it only comes every thirty minutes. Even at rush hour. Farcical.

2 Likes

To be fair, the Liujia Line does connect the HSR Station to Hsinchu TRA Station (and its immediate environs) quite efficiently. But it’s of almost no use for any other points in the city, including accessing the university district.

Guy

Just one question. Who wants to go to Keelung? :thinking:

1 Like

[…] I have family living in the mountains there, they are not going to walk to the MRT.

3 Likes

It has a ‘famous’ night market.

Marco is not “ignorant”; he is referring to the business model of MRT development, which is not set up as a park-and-ride US style system, but instead with sufficient density around the stations and with additional means (buses, youbike, etc) to travel the last mile(s).

Guy

4 Likes

Perhaps the system is to help people get out!

Guy

What’s wrong with the harbor? :slightly_smiling_face:

Nah. It’s too slow. It’s too infrequent. It’s too crap.

2 Likes

That method was used in March 1947.

Thankfully, better ways to help are available now.

Guy

Well, trains don’t exactly have an unblemished reputation in that regard…

The topic is MRT extension, not running perpetually late Puyuma trains to and fro, so I think we’ll be OK.

Guy

I think that’s a big part of it: People living in Keelung and commuting to Taipei for work. Some of those places adjacent to Xizhi are really growing (new apartments all over the place).

2 Likes

They should add enough scooter parking!

You know, we have things called bicycles and buses too.

2 Likes

Yes taking bikes on Taiwan MRT and trains is hassle free.
I did it often on MRT to main line train service to Su’ao.