Taipei MRT Racist

Wow I don’t think I could have kept my cool through that first bit.

[quote=“cyberguppy”]Most Taiwanese people are great but there are always some nasties under the woodwork.

Same goes for everywhere I guess.

youtube.com/watch?v=cYYVATu … A4%A2LUCID[/quote]
Man, that person who tried to bully you was a piece of shit with lots of problem that he projects on foreigners.

you, by the way, didn’t handle it bad at all. I would have lost my manners and temper. I tend to do so with smaller things. And you can speak Chinese, apparently pretty decently. You have reasons to be proud, and that guy is just a ridiculous piece of shit.

BTW, somebody send this to Apple Daily.

Too late; somebody already did.

appledaily.com.tw/realtimene … 11/730907/

Too late; somebody already did.

appledaily.com.tw/realtimene … 11/730907/[/quote]
And I’m happy to see it. Now, may be it should get to somewhere else. Piece of shit. I was feeling so bad while watching the video…

The girls I hang out with are strong independent women and I’m sure make more money and are better educated. I know a couple that are small, but would of gone medieval on anyone that insults them, their friends, or their boyfriend.

Allowing another man’s breath to draw your dagger is weakness.

Harnesssing vicarious doubt is weakness.

Indecision is weakness

Recenter and reflect.

:bow:

T

No, but would have sent some breath back, concentrated in a much shorter time than in the video.

Methinks there’s going to be a shitstorm going down at ISS today. Their Facebook page has been bombarded.

Holy snapping arseholes.
I was thinking about this all night. That level of raw unmitigated hostility kind of makes me want to throw up.

Two things keep going through my little stripey raccoon head.
First, how I really honestly don’t think I could have got through the first 60 seconds of that without just up and plowing the guy one right there, especially when he started stinkmouthing the young lady.
And B, what a terribly terribly bad mistake that would be.
Yeesh.

Sorry, has it been established that the young fellow in the video actually is brother cyberguppy?
I didn’t really read it that way, but that seems to be the consensus.

Buddy’s Chinese is frigging sweet, man. :thumbsup:

[quote=“Rocket”]Holy snapping arseholes.
I was thinking about this all night. That level of raw unmitigated hostility kind of makes me want to throw up.

Two things keep going through my little stripey raccoon head.
First, how I really honestly don’t think I could have got through the first 60 seconds of that without just up and plowing the guy one right there, especially when he started stinkmouthing the young lady.
And B, what a terribly terribly bad mistake that would be.
Yeesh.

Sorry, has it been established that the young fellow in the video actually is brother cyberguppy?
I didn’t really read it that way, but that seems to be the consensus.

Buddy’s Chinese is frigging sweet, man. :thumbsup:[/quote]

+1 this!! :bravo:

It also seems the police wanted to bury this incident by passing it back and forth until the op gave up. Does not seem like there is much justice for non Taiwanese in Taiwan.

I wonder how much of a factor the recording phone was in letting this guy go on and on and on. Knowing that you could make it public later on, wasn’t their the thought of getting more out of this foul mouth to expose him in public? Now, that guy was absolutely disgusting and his verbal attacks seem to have been totally uncalled for (or did something happen before the video starts?). I’d say he was either drunk or had bad experiences with foreigners before or both, or he is just mentally ill. Doesn’t reflect the attitude of 98 percent of locals towards foreigners in Taipei, I would assume.

Obviously they’re trying to hand it off to someone else, but, sincerely, I don’t really see what exactly they’re supposed to be doing about it?
In the West, same situation, what would or could the cops do about it??

Unless they got some new No Asshole law I haven’t heard of, in which case there’s going to be some serious prison overcrowding.

Obviously they’re trying to hand it off to someone else, but, sincerely, I don’t really see what exactly they’re supposed to be doing about it?

Unless they got some new No Asshole law I haven’t heard of, in which case there’s going to be some serious prison overcrowding.[/quote]

From what I understand, slander and defamation are taken quite seriously here. Pretty sure you can get a ticket/fine for flipping the bird!

I don’t know why, but this upset me quite a bit. Having been here for 12 years, I have never experienced anything like this. I always believed the locals treat us foreigners with decency and respect. But maybe it is a smokescreen, and maybe the Taiwanese are just as racist as any other people. For the most part, maybe they are just good at hiding (suppressing) it.

And I would not have handled it as well as OP did. Kudos. .

True story.
When I had been here about 3 or 4 days, I was walking down the road with my Taiwanese friend, and saw some construction guys reno-ing a shop. I saw that the one guy had a pretty intricate (old school) Nipponese style tattoo on his shoulder and upper arm (different world then, most people didn’t have tattoos and if they did, it usually meant something). So I mentioned it to my friend and said I wanted to go over and complement him on it. She got really agitated and said it wasn’t a good idea. She said there was a pretty good chance that he wouldn’t be friendly to me, that some worker types didn’t like foreigners and maybe even resented them being here working and having local girlfriends.

And I’m like… :ponder: hmmm.

Blue collar dudes.
Hate and fear people who look/talk different from them.
Complain about them taking jobs.
Complain about them taking local women.

This place is
JUST
HOME!!! :discodance:

Unless they got some new No Asshole law I haven’t heard of, in which case there’s going to be some serious prison overcrowding.[/quote]

OP stated MRT security video is overwritten (and thus deleted) after 7 days. I would think the police would know that. Investigation was delayed for three weeks. No one asked for MRT video.
OP was also originally told something different by the police about how long the MRT security video was stored. This seems like the police lied to him (they could have been incompetent, but lying fits better here)
OP stated that he supplied the video to the initial police unit. When the case was transferred, the video was not transferred with it to the next unit.
As someone else pointed out, there is a law in Taiwan against public defamation.

May I suggest contacting your country’s pseudo-embassy and trying to persuade them to lodge an official compaint.

dollars to donuts if a foreigner flipped off a local, the very night cops would be at the foreigners door with a warrant, AND video evidence. the other way around, oops, the camera doesn’t work, sorry.

[quote=“Gryphon”]Technically, OP, you can sue him for harassment AND public insult. AND also get him fired (probably) from his company.

law.moj.gov.tw/eng/LawClass/LawA … e=D0080067
See Article 89.2

Also see this thread: Flipped the bird, charged under Taiwan's "public insult" law

You probably won’t get much from suing him though, unless the judge decides to fine based on the length of time and the number of times he insulted you.
Plus, you’ll probably make him an enemy for life.
[/quote]

Meh, I’d do it. It’s not like the guy wants to go fishing with him and share a smoke.

[quote=“Rocket”]
Blue collar dudes.
Hate and fear people who look/talk different from them.
Complain about them taking jobs.
Complain about them taking local women.

This place is
JUST
HOME!!! :discodance:[/quote]

Which doesn’t make it remotely acceptable.

[quote=“thesublimenakedfairy”]I don’t know why, but this upset me quite a bit. Having been here for 12 years, I have never experienced anything like this. I always believed the locals treat us foreigners with decency and respect. But maybe it is a smokescreen, and maybe the Taiwanese are just as racist as any other people. For the most part, maybe they are just good at hiding (suppressing) it.

And I would not have handled it as well as OP did. Kudos. .[/quote]

It upset me too. And I’m also not sure how I’d have handled it.