Taipei or Taichung?

Taipei or Taichung?

• Taipei
  • Taichung
  • Yo’re a fool, they both suck

0 voters

Hi everyone,

So, I’m a newbie, coming to Taiwan in November to teach. I need to tell the school where I want to be pretty soon though. I’ve narrowed it down to Taipei or Taichung. I want to be close enough to the city to have a decent nightlife, go to some gigs, the movies etc, but also be able to get out every now and then into the countryside. Is there an ‘alternative’ scene in either of the cities?

So, which would you go for?

If you tell us where in those cities you’d be teaching, it will help us give informed answers. Taipei especially has many different districts ranging from hellish to very nice.
Should you choose Taichung, be prepared to ride a scooter or you’ll have problems getting about.

Alternative to what, English teaching? Not in Taichung, but Taipei has an “ex-teacher editor scene”. However, they are a pretty bitter crowd, resentful of kindy teachers who earn more and get more pussy.

[quote]
but Taipei has an “ex-teacher editor scene”. However, they are a pretty bitter crowd, resentful of kindy teachers who earn more and get more pussy.[/quote]

Those bahstards. Keep a keen eye peeled for those spiteful fiends. :astonished:
They are, however, reknowned for their Achilles’ heel(s): pretty girls, free booze, and the chance to bitch about someone who’s doing what they once did. :slight_smile:

Head them off at the pass, and you’ll blend in fine. :grandpa:

Well, I don’t get any say at which branch, just the city. But I figure I don’t have to live in the same district as the branch!

And sorry, should have been more descriptive regarding the ‘alternative’ scence - I mean does one city have significantly more of a ‘rock’ (i’m loathe to call it that, I don’t mean big hairy men spinning their heads, more screamy punk/emo/hardcore etc.) scene that the other. If there’s any at all!!

[quote=“lou la”]Well, I don’t get any say at which branch, just the city. But I figure I don’t have to live in the same district as the branch!
[/quote]

In Taichung you may have to (live in the same district that is). At least initially. Public transport there is pretty woeful. If you get a scooter, then no problem, but when you first arrive you won’t have one. And you won’t know where is a good district to live.

If you’re arranging this job from overseas, then I’d say you should pick Taipei. Once you get here, take some time to get familiar with Taipei. Then, spend a few weekends in Taichung (only 2 hours on the train). Decide which you like best. And then go live in the city you prefer. If your school can recruit from outside of Taiwan, they should be able to transfer you to a different city if you request it. And if not, just quit and find another job.

Even better would be to come here without a guarenteed job. Spend a week in Taipei, look at schools, apply for jobs. Then go to Taichung and repeat. Decide which you like best and live/work there.

Taipei is more interesting but also expensive and the winter can be rather nasty (by Taiwan standards). I feel it’s more of a natural progression to start somewhere smaller, and if you like Taiwan, move up to Taipei. Of course, in Taipei you’ll fall in love and marry some local from a small town in Yunlin County and move back there to run a buxiban.

lou la,
The majority of folks on forumosa live in Taipei, so they are going to skew your poll. I would say Taichung and Taipei are both equally good locations.