Taipei Public Library now offering free Chinese classes

english.tpml.edu.tw/ct.asp?xItem … &mp=104022

[quote]
WHERE AND WHEN?

。Multicultural Information Center at the Taipei Public Library (9th Floor)
    。Address:  No. 125, Sec 2, Jianguo S. Rd., Da’an Dist., Taipei City
    。10 Classes in total, 2-4 pm every Saturday Afternoon starting October 1st, 2011  concluding December 3rd

WHAT SHOULD PARTICIPANTS EXPECT?

。Participants will be assigned to small classes based on an assessment   of their current level of Chinese language proficiency.
    。Each class will be hosted by a different teacher.
    。Participants will learn to read and write basic Mandarin Chinese.
    。Participants who attend all 10 classes will be awarded a certificate reflecting their completion of 20 hours of official study.[/quote]

Thanks for the post! Good find.

Good post!

But I cannot make it on Saturdays :’( Ohhh mannnnn

FREE, best part. that’s right up my alley.

Thanks for the post :slight_smile:

I am second on the waiting list.

What, you need to sign up in advance? There is a waiting list …? That’s the problem of free … everyone wants to go … :loco: not good! :fume:

You are right of course. I’ll take my name off the list as this is obviously just a ploy to get us in the library. :fume: Thank you for opening my eyes to the nefarious ways of “free”. :loco:

No, the worst part of “free” is going to be that these are trainee teachers who need live foreigners to practice on. But it is free, so it can’t be all bad.

Agreed. Great idea! And the library rocks, especially if you have kids! :thumbsup:

Aw, man. I’m so bummed I missed this. :doh: Is there going to be another one? It looks like there was a lot of interest. Did anybody go?

I’m taking my 3rd class today. I started out in the lowest class (by choice) but switched to the highest level class after 20 minutes of yi, er san, etc…Guess my taxi chinese is pretty good after all.

Other than this 12 year old saffie who gets dragged by his Dad to a class he is too advanced for, most of us are working at a level we are comfy with. I am learning stuff each week and the teacher is pretty good, given that we are learning pretty basic stuff. Fortunately, I can help her fine tune the class structure. All and all I am pretty chuffed about finally taking this seriously. And Piao Piao is beside herself… :bow: