Taipei riverside bike path news

The fact that a single lane is not wide enough to accommodate her vehicle should have been a big clue! There truly are some prize idiots out there who have passed their test in Taiwan.

Had one during the week crossing Bitan bridge. Scooter riders are fond of using the sidewalk which also links the bike paths on both sides of the river as the procedure to legally turn left on the road when heading west is quite involved. Not too bad if they do it at bicycle speed but most do it at the same speed as the traffic on the bridge. Anyway, had one coming towards me, I stood my ground which meant he had to stop. Pointed out that he was on a sidewalk and got his best “foreigner trying to speak mandarin” impression back, said fine and stood aside, he started to accelerate and I took out my phone. Sudden stop, a million apologies and a u-turn to go back the way he came. Having been clipped by one of these idiots last year I have no tolerance for it anymore.

Here’s the place, there’s actually a scooter on the path in streetview!

5 Likes

How about this one for some riverside bike path art?
Just one of the many very nice ones, done in the last couple of months.
And yes, they are huge … find my bike …

10 Likes

Where is that?

2 Likes

Ah Banqiao riverside, just as I thought.

This one at Zhonghe riverside under Huazhong bridge is also interesting:

6 Likes

That’s a awesome one too, wow!

I was a bit in a hurry yesterday, but decided that I will give it an other pass next week, as I glanced some other very interesting ones as well.

I love this stuff, not for the art factor, but it represents so much the positive vibe here in TW.

1 Like

The riverside by me has graffiti areas and some of them are works of art.

This one is simple, but I like the message.

7 Likes

No one ever slammed into the wall?

Maybe someone drunk enough to run towards a T-Rex

My Son is a Graffiti Artist mostly London and Bristol, he actually gets paid sometimes that is good, pays his fines.
I shall send him that photo - cheers for putting it up.
He’s impressed with what I’ve shown him in Taipei Riverside.
Was going to visit in March and put his handle up, however he didn’t because of those Chinese Fuckwits.

The Bitan pontoons will be back in action very soon, if not already. Please don’t cycle on them!

Bitan floating bike path open again, and added a boat ride for bikes.

6 Likes

The sampan has always been there. People just don’t know they can take their bike on it, much less the more wild area on the opposite shore that they can explore on two wheels. Wish the reporter had covered that area.

1 Like

Just be careful near any (farm) houses in that area, there are some viscous guard dogs which are often let loose.

2 Likes

Not to mention the hill leading to the main road is something only Lance Armstrong on steroids could climb up.

4 Likes

That whole stretch of murals in banqiao is absoloutely horrific. the worst part is the relief king kong with a banana. :nauseated_face:
Theres no accounting for taste!

2 Likes

Forumosa biking meetup sounds like a great idea.

3 Likes

Maybe @ranlee will set that up. He used to organize such rides.

1 Like