🏞 Taipei | Yangmingshan

I will be making my first trip to Taiwan in late September and will be staying in the Da-an area

I would like to hike to the top of Cisingshan in Yangmingshan National Park. Are there any organized excursions to this area?

I’ll hazard a guess that it’s not likely during any particular short period of time. There’s not a need really though. Easy to get to the trailhead by bus and a straightforward hike up.

Thanks! I hope so

You were right TG but instead of a beautiful panoramic view I got rain and drizzle! No wildlife appreciation either, but I could hear the owls hooting in the brush. I’ll try for better weather next time!

sorry to hear that, the weather is pretty unpredictable… I take hat back, it will rain on the weekends and be extremely sunny during the week… that seems to be the pattern this year.

Yeah, you never know up there.

Welcome to Taiwan. Bad weather (especially in the northern third) should be expected on hikes.

What time of year would it be most likely for a clear, dry and drizzle free climb up Mt. Yangmingshan?

From my experience, March, April, May, though in all three of those months it tends to rain in the afternoon. If you set out on a morning hike and get indoors before 2 pm, you should be fine.

But I defer to the expertise of avid hikers. I’m just an amateur.

There does not seem to be a general all-purpose Yangmingshan thread, so I am reviving this one for this purpose.

The excellent Han Cheung in his latest weekly column has written about a structure in Yangmingshan—the Zhongxing Villa—built for Chiang Kai-shek late in his life. As always, Cheung’s column is a fascinating read. Have any forumosans actually visited this structure?

Guy

My wife did the tour recently. She said it was nothing special, more or less like the Shilin Guandi tour. I’ve passed by it 100 times on the way up, not much help I guess.

1 Like